Calling Areas

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Calling Areas

Yes , I hear ya Gdkitty . the old plan I'm on has suited my needs quite well and likely costs about as much per month as some people pay just in  HST per month  ... but if these new long distance charges are going to be an ongoing factor and can't be resolved i'll have to step up the plan I guess . 

Thanks for the thought though ... maybe Bells coverage is different in this area and if I have to switch to a more expensive plan with Rogers  I'll check that out as well just in case they have something  better suited

Highlighted

Just an update in case this may help someone else....

After talking to the 5th person at Rogers about my situation , we have success.  She walked me through switching my phone to the 2G network  and we're back to being able to phone the home phone locally from anywhere in the house.

Highlighted

Just wanted to add ... the first techie I talked to said my phone wouldn't reach  more than 15 to 20 km  . But apparently considering the towers I was reaching  to incur my long distance charges  on the LTE network, my phone was reaching towers up to 35 kilometers away in preference to the closer local  ones.  WHile my first thought was it was a marketing tactic by Rogers to force people in to long distance plans , I realize that it is the  industry striving for better coverage and improved transmission speeds and  there is going to be a price to be paid for that ,which is local calling areas  being more poorly defined . I have to accept progess ... no problem ... it just annoys me  that the people in the industry aren't up to speed on these things and it is a challenge to get explanations sometimes.  5 calls and waits for me  that added up to hours  not minutes  to get to the bottom of this.

Where is the dsiclaimer in all the information that is put out about long distance that local calling areas are changing with the power of the phones and the upgrades to transmission equipment . It is not about your geogaphical location  in the sense of being in a certain area it  is about your topographic location and which tower your phone can easiest access in what seems to be a 35  Km radius depending on your phone power .

That's part of customer service , 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes I agree with the last poster a 4G tower and 3rd tower might be in different locations. I could have found this out for u in approx 5 mins. It's not a marketing thing either but as networks expand the holes get slowly filled In but the only thing we can do right now is wait 

Highlighted

I don't mind waiting as it seems that if I have to switch  to a higher network than 2 G my home will no longer be in my Local callling Area. 

Highlighted

Local  calling areas amongst the competition??

Can anyone tell me if the local calling areas are the same for all companies ?  

I live on the line between two calling areas using Rogers and I now continually  get long distance charges where i didn't before.  If I switch companies will I still be in that undefined zone  or is it apt to be different local calling area ?

Thanks for any assistance

Highlighted

I finally just called and asked .  Bell was pretty quick at giving me a list of towns in my Bell  LCA  and giving me a good idea of where the perimeter is.   Rogers on the other hand ... was true to itself ... after being told by one  Rogers tech support that Rogers still tells you at the beginning of a call if it is long distance or not and it would be illegal if they didn't ... I got transferred to a different branch ... billing I think it was, and they then ended up having to google it. They went through their list of towns eventually ,so I now have a better idea of where my Rogers LCA is and they are similar to Bell  but not the same.

Just as a point of interest , Bell still tells you if you need to dial 1 if you are making a long distance call.  I do understand why this would be frustrating for some Canada wide callers  as the time for your call is measured from the time you press send until you press end  not from the time the call is answered until you hang up.