Calling Areas

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Calling Areas

I'm travelling to a small town in a week so I got a Pay As You Go card. I'm going to Jonquiere, Saguenay in Quebec but that is not one of the options for the choice of cities so I chose Quebec City when I signed up. The whole province of Quebec uses the area code (418) so I assumed all would be well.

But then I checked with the My Rogers mobile app to see if my calls would be considered local or long distance:

If I'm in Quebec City, all my outgoing/incoming calls count as "local"

If I'm in Jonquiere, Saguenay, everything is "long distance", even calls to other (418) numbers.

I won't be spending ANY time in Quebec City so does that mean I wasted my money?!? I already contacted customer service and the representative assured me that any call made to the same area code is a local call.....but I'm not so sure. I mean, their app says otherwise.

So PLEASE, will someone help me sort this one out? That would be so very much appreciated!

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Calling Areas

The province of Quebec have more then one area code! off the top of my head:

418 in the eastern part(Sherbrooke/Quebec city)

819 in the western part(Gatineau)

514 in Montreal/laval

450 in the southern part(Longeuil/Chateaugay)

Jonquiere is in the 418 area code tough 😞 Best is to cool Rogers and asked for a new Phone number in the correct region. You should not be charged as you are changing the zone. 🙂

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Area code does not always constitue local calling area.

Northern or western ontario, is much the same way.. you have like 1/3 of the province, with the same area code.. as there is a smaller # of people, and they dont get used up as quick.
Vs say like Toronto area.. where there is 2 area codes JUST for toronto, etc.

There may not be a 'local' number available, etc for that area?  Not sure.
I am nost super familair with the pay as you go stuff.. more the full plans (which have different rules often, most have canada wide calling now)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The province of Quebec have more then one area code! off the top of my head:

418 in the eastern part(Sherbrooke/Quebec city)

819 in the western part(Gatineau)

514 in Montreal/laval

450 in the southern part(Longeuil/Chateaugay)

Jonquiere is in the 418 area code tough 😞 Best is to cool Rogers and asked for a new Phone number in the correct region. You should not be charged as you are changing the zone. 🙂

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

How can I find out  local calling areas so I will know when long distance is applicable on my prepaid wireless basic phone?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello marcellusd

Your local calling area is in the local area you are in. So let's say you live in Toronto, your local calling area is in Toronto.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I do not have any idea where the number of my phone is located or if I am travelling between cities, will my location still be be local or have I moved into another area. Phone no. is same area code as my home but that is all.  The exchange does not match any in the town where I live.  A map showing the exchanges in calling areas in Ontario would be very ueful.  Does such a thing exist?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here is a SUPER EASY way to tell if you are in your local calling area if you happen to be travelling (driving) to another city.

Lets start in Toronto, and you are travelling to Niagra Falls,  but your still in the GTA area (oakville), simply CALL a Toronto number, if the call goes through fine, your LOCAL, if it asks you to put a 1 Infront of the number, you are outside  your calling area.  usually by the time you rech the burlington/hamilton area, this is where the local area becomes long distance and you get the message to put a 1 infront, that means the rest of your trip from hamilton to niagara is you are outside your local calling area and long distance charges apply unless you have a long distance calling add-on

**Update**

Hey there, just thought I could add to this hopefully to make determining long distance easier. If you have access to the MyRogers application on your device, follow these steps in identifying anywhere in Canada if your incoming or outgoing calls are long distance. 

Open application > Select wireless > Select your phone number > Scroll to the bottom and select local calling area

From there fill in the details of your location, the number you are calling or select receiving a call and it will show whether or not it'll be a long distance call.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Here is info right from rogers.com

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/long-distance/1195?setLanguage=en

Calls made and received on the Rogers wireless network are defined as either "local" or "long distance" based on the local calling area. LD calls also incur airtime charges.

Receiving CallsYour Incoming Local Calling Area (ILCA) Based on the geographical location associated with your wireless number (e.g., 416 = Toronto).

• Calls within your ILCA = local
  • Calls outside your ILCA = long distance

Making CallsYour Outgoing Local Calling Area (OLCA) Your OLCA is determined by your geographical location at the moment you make a call.

• Dial local number to your physical location = local
  • Dial number not local to your physical location = long distance

For more information visit rogers.com/longdistance or text LD to 2255.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I think that is a little missleading jkroesen .  

If you live in the center of a LCA it may apply but if you live near the perimeter it very likely will not. We seem to be assuming that Rogers has pinpoint accuracy  and after a lot of unanswered questions and making a lot of location calls I believe that there will be no map for LCA boundaries because it varies so much wth the power of your phone and which particular tower your signal bounces off of. 

I changed to a different phone about 4 months ago and my long didtance charges have gone up by approximately 300% ... so far no definitive answers from Rogers . 

I can sit at my desk and call my home phone and it is now a long distance call, where 4 months ago it might or might not have been depending  on which way I was facing  or I could go up stairs and it would have been a local call.  Now the only room in the house where I can make a local call with my cell phone, to my homephone in the same building, is from an upstairs bathroom . 

So I agree ...the only way to check your LCA is to make a call there will be no map  ... only guidelines and don't think  that because you are in a certain landline  calling area that your cell phone boundary will be the same . 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, I ran I to this with my bell cell in the town I am in. (At least at the time)
The closer cellular tower was across the lake which gave my calls comming from a long distance roaming area 😞

Not that everyone is on a new plan.. But at least with all the newer ones they are canada wide so makes it not a worry.
(Pricing is not as good tho on the new, likely because of the full calling area)