Basic Phone Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Basic Phone Questions

My old iPod touch decided to die a few days ago and so I have to get a new one and I decided it might as well be a phone too I have no experience with phones I’ve never been interested in them whenever I needed to talk to my friends I always had an internet connection and spending 50$ per month was never too appealing to me either but having a phone seems like more of a necessity now so I have a few questions although I already research on most of what I’m about to ask but I it’s better to get a second opinion or more details on the matter.

1.Like I mentioned above  I’m not interested in paying 50$ a month I’ll be using skype/Imessage as often as I possibly can and only interested on having the phone portion of it for if I’m meeting with friends outside and I can’t get an internet connection, meeting new people so I have to give them a number or if it’s for work so I’m thinking of just loading a $100 on to my phone and forgetting about it( when doing research I noticed you could buy minutes but they expire after 90 or so days is this the case for all pay as you go plans)if I need to phone I’ll be able to and not have to think about monthly bills  so what I’d be looking for is a pay as you go plan or is there something else to better suit my needs?

2. I’m in Ontario Canada so if I’m to do some research on plans what would my main options be?

3. I’m planning on buying a used iPhone 5s say if there was an ad selling one but it had Fido as its carrier that would mean if I bought it I could only get a pay as you go plan from Fido would that be the only restriction and is this restriction only for a set amount of time or is it locked to that carrier for good?, And if I buy an unlocked phone I can take it to any of the major cellphone companies given that the phone is compatible with them whether its gsm or cdma

4. When buying a used phone if its tied to a carrier would meeting the seller at the carriers store help at all if I bring it in to them would they be able to tell me everything I need to know about it such as if it’s been stolen, iclouded, etc. and are there any other things I should look out for when buying a used phone or anything about on phones in general I’m sure any info is useful

Thanks ahead of time for any responses

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Highlighted
Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Re: Basic Phone Questions

Welcome to the Community @alexmark Smiley Happy

@OLDYELLR would you be able to provide @alexmark with some feedback?

In regards to your questions:

1 & 2. We have Pay as you Go plans that are valid for the year. You can find prepaid plans on our website here. You can also contact the prepaid department for more info. You can reach them at 1-800-575-9090.  To reach a representative choose option 4, then option 4 again (how to contact Rogers).  At the end of the information on how to contact us, you will select option 1 to speak with an a agent.

3. If the phone is locked to Fido you would only be able to use it with Fido Services. I would recommend getting an unlocked one or requesting the seller to unlock if for you prior to your purchase.

4. The stores would not be able to tell if the device is unlocked or stolen just by looking it. The best way to determine if the device is unlocked is by trying a sim card from another carrier. Some stores may have a demo line which they could use to test and see if the device picks up service. In regards to the device being stolen or not you can asked to have the phone IMEI searched on the Blacklist. I believe there are some websites that will allow you to search the blacklist as well.

Hope this helpsSmiley Happy

RogersAsif

I'm a Senior Advisor

@alexmark, your best bet would be to buy a phone from a Rogers customer who has upgraded. I thought Fido was a subsidiary of Rogers, so it's strange that a Fido phone wouldn't work on the Rogers network. They're sold in the same stores. My son and his family were on Rogers and got moved to Fido when renewing they wanted a cheaper plan.

In any event, if you're looking to save money on a cell phone plan with PayGo, you probably won't be using all the fancy features of an iPhone.  If you surfed and Facebooked all day long your minutes and data would be astronomical and a costlier plan would be more economical. But an iPhone does have a better camera, graphics and speed than my $100 LG-E410B phone. Currently these are the phones Rogers offers for PayGo. http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirelessBuyFlow?forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal&N=52+11+42...

The most economical PayGo plan is the $100 one which is good for a whole year. If you have a balance left when you renew it before it expires, it gets rolled over to the next year. If upon renewal you have a balance of over $100 after a few years, you can use $100 of it to renew if you call Rogers (I can't see a way to do that on line).

Aside from the basic $100 PayGo plan I have, there are a couple more special ones that may suit you better, depending on your calling/texting habits.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless-products/paygo_promotions_monthlydiscount

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks, both of you cleared alot up and this $100 plan you linked me seems perfect for what im looking for

$100 for a year*

• Unlimited outgoing Canadian text messages
  • Unlimited incoming text messages
  • 100 anytime local calling minutes for the year
  • $0.50/minute for additional anytime local calls
  • $0.50/minute for Canadian and US long distance calls
  • Included services - Voicemail, Call Display, and Call Waiting
  • Plan is valid for 12 months from the day of activation

so just to recap if i bring an iphone5s unlocked or Locked to rogers i can pay $100 and forget about paying anything else for a whole year and when you said "balnce gets rolled over to the next year" you're talking about the 100 minutes or what ever is remaining of it? also if i decide to become a social butterfly in the next few weeks and use up my 100 minutes  in no time at all and didnt want to pay $0.50 for each additional minute would canceling the plan be my only option?, seems like a waste  for the unlimited texting portion of the plan. one more thing,  does "Unlimited outgoing Canadian text messages" mean i can only send messages to people in canada and if i texted an american friend would it not send but "Unlimited incoming text messages" i could recive text from them?
sorry for another wall of text i appreciate the help though.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I think Rogers charges $50 to unlock a phone.  No carrier wants to unlock a phone when they can sell you a new one, but it's the law, so they charge you. There are also services on eBay that do it for a hefty charge. No guarantees either way.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

oh yeah, i did a bit of research on unlocking phones each of the carriers have different prices and requirements ill aim for an unlocked one if possible about my wall of text on the specific plan did you have any answers for any of the questions i listed or any other information that would be usefull to me?
Thanks for the help so far
Retired Moderator

so just to recap if i bring an iphone5s unlocked or Locked to rogers i can pay $100 and forget about paying anything else for a whole year and when you said "balnce gets rolled over to the next year" you're talking about the 100 minutes or what ever is remaining of it? also if i decide to become a social butterfly in the next few weeks and use up my 100 minutes  in no time at all and didnt want to pay $0.50 for each additional minute would canceling the plan be my only option?, seems like a waste  for the unlimited texting portion of the plan. one more thing,  does "Unlimited outgoing Canadian text messages" mean i can only send messages to people in canada and if i texted an american friend would it not send but "Unlimited incoming text messages" i could recive text from them?
sorry for another wall of text i appreciate the help though.

@alexmark

I would assume you can continue using the $0.50 per minute or "Top Up" again if you run out.

In regards to the "Unlimited Outgoing Canadian Text Messages", yes it refers to Canadian Numbers only. US numbers would not be included under this.

"Unlimited Incoming Messages" would indicate if a friend from the US sent you a text, you wouldn't incur additional charges.

Keep in mind, iPhone can also send iMessages which are not text messages. You can use this to your advantage when messaging others in the US who have iPhones.

Only other tip I have is asking the seller from some background information on the phone. How long have they owned it, any issues, does the device still have warranty etc.

Hope this helpsSmiley Happy

RogersAsif

I've Been Here Awhile

i actually phoned rogers customer service minutes beforte you posted this and got the exact same answers too bad about being forced to pay the aditional .50 cents per minute and not having any other options  but i dont plan on buring thorugh those minutes anytime soon thanks alot to both of you for the help

Retired Moderator

No problem @alexmark

Let us know how it goesSmiley Happy

I have the iPhone 6 right now and I love it. I used to have the iPhone 5S as well, it's a great phone.

RogersAsif