cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BYOD - Pay As You Go Service

imssgl
I'm here a lot

Do I have to use specific devices or can I use any phone under PAYG? I'm planning to buy on my own a better phone (such as a LG G3 or G4), not PAYG-listed. I want to make sure before I buy it that I can use it under PAYG.

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: BYOD - Pay As You Go Service

RogersMoin

Hello, @imssgl

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

@imssgl wrote:

Do I have to use specific devices or can I use any phone under PAYG?

Yes, you can definitely bring your unlocked phone to Rogers and get a SIM to enjoy the flexibility and control of our Pay As You Go service. 

Please see this post to know more about the supporting bands/frequencies and optimal APN configuration settings.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RogersMoin

Hello, @imssgl

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

@imssgl wrote:

Do I have to use specific devices or can I use any phone under PAYG?

Yes, you can definitely bring your unlocked phone to Rogers and get a SIM to enjoy the flexibility and control of our Pay As You Go service. 

Please see this post to know more about the supporting bands/frequencies and optimal APN configuration settings.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@imssgl wrote:

Do I have to use specific devices or can I use any phone under PAYG? I'm planning to buy on my own a better phone (such as a LG G3 or G4), not PAYG-listed. I want to make sure before I buy it that I can use it under PAYG.

*Edited Labels*

Currently Rogers is showing a flip phone on line for prepaid, although you may find others at a Rogers store, or none at all.  But as RogersMoin mentioned, you can buy an unlocked phone elsewhere and you have more and better choices.

Also, if it's only for occasional use and you want to save money, don't go for any of the monthly plans. You can get a $100 voucher that's good for a year and you can roll over any unused balance each year even use the balance to renew for another year if there's enough.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

OLDYELLR wrote:

Currently Rogers is showing a flip phone on line for prepaid, although you may find others at a Rogers store, or none at all.  But as RogersMoin mentioned, you can buy an unlocked phone elsewhere and you have more and better choices.

Just to clarify, @OLDYELLR  when you say with an unlocked phone you will have "more and better choices" do you mean with service providers that offer better value and service than Rogers ?   Smiley Wink

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor wrote:

Just to clarify, @OLDYELLR  when you say with an unlocked phone you will have "more and better choices" do you mean with service providers that offer better value and service than Rogers ?   Smiley Wink

No, we're talking about Rogers here.  Walmart, for example, has many unlocked phones that will work with PayGo ranging from very basic for $45 to pretty nice smartphones for $260.  But one should check out what's available at the Rogers store before making a decision.  When I went to replace my Nokia 2610, I saw an attractive Windows phone on the Rogers website, but they had none in the store. However, they did have a nice little LG smartphone for $80 including $20 air time, which is what I got.

Karengab
I've been here awhile

iPhone on Pay as You Go

This might be a simple question, but I'm not sure whether I can use an IPhone on the Rogers pay as you go?  I've seen other posts about iPhones on here, but they always seem to be for older iphones.  I'm thinking of getting a 6 or 7, but wanted to ask first.  I have the unlimited text plan right now on the paygo plan.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I don't see why you couldn't use an iPhone. It's just that people who can only afford PayGo can't afford $1000 to $1500 phones, so a $60 one is offered.  More likely, though, maybe a friend or family member has upgraded to the latest and greatest smartphone and can get an older iPhone unlocked for you. So long as you keep the data turned off and stay off the Internet, you should be okay.

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 in conversation