Alert Ready Emergency Alert System Test not working on Pay As You Go

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Alert Ready Emergency Alert System Test not working on Pay As You Go

Has anyone out there received the Alert Ready Test signal on their Pay As You Go phone? I've never received an alert during the annual test of the system despite the fact my phone appears to meet all compatibility requirements as outlined on the Alert Ready and Rogers websites. I don't see any reference to Pay As You Go phones being excluded.

I'm baffled because my phone did receive a wireless emergency alert from local authorities on my last visit to Hawaii. 

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Alert Ready Emergency Alert System Test not working on Pay As You Go

Where in the country are you?

Ontario and Quebec opted out of this year's test at this time because of the current flooding States of Emergency in this provinces.
I Plan to Stick Around

Manitoba.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@turtleinacanoe : I have an iPhone 5S on a PAYGo plan and do get the alerts.  I have received all of the alerts in Ontario (tests and real alerts).  I didn't get one yesterday since I'm in Ontario.  Ontario and Quebec opted out yesterday.  Here's the Alert Ready link where you should be able to find all the information - you stated you've already checked all this and the Rogers site, but you may wish to revisit all the requirements...

https://www.alertready.ca/

See the link at the top of the website:  

There are a few possibilities why you didn't get it in Manitoba. 

- If your phone meets all the requirements, perhaps you were close to Ontario and your signal was from one of their towers? 

- Perhaps the tower you were near didn't have the technology required. 

- Make sure your phone doesn't have LTE turned off... 

- Make sure your phone has a good signal - was your phone receiving a good signal at the time of the test yesterday? 

- What is the make/model phone?

- Have you loaded the latest firmware onto the phone?

I'm not a phone expert - perhaps someone has some other ideas.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

My phone is a 3G, Android version 4.1.2 which apparently isn't compatible with Amber Alert system. Besides, I only turn  and take it with me when I leave the house, which is maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

My phone is an iPhone 6s purchased in the USA in 2017. 

I’ve double-checked and triple-checked compatibility with Rogers and the Alert Ready websites as well as ensuring the proper phone settings are correctly enabled and the iOS is current.

Before purchasing the phone in the USA, I researched to ensure it would work in Canada. My research indicated that the iPhone 6s sold in Canada and the USA were identical but apparently that is not the case when it comes to emergency alert notifications.

Contacting Apple support this morning, I was told the iPhones sold in the USA are not compatible with the Canadian emergency alert system. This is not mentioned anywhere in iPhone 6s documentation.

Bummer!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@turtleinacanoe wrote:

My phone is an iPhone 6s purchased in the USA in 2017. 

IIRC in the US you can opt out of the Emergency Alerts via phone settings. In Canada you cannot opt out.  Perhaps it's due to the way the alerts in the two countries are handled.  I would have thought this is firmware driven, but perhaps there are hardware differences...

I Plan to Stick Around

I can’t find confirmation of this anywhere on the Rogers website but according to Rogers technical support, with whom I spoke this morning, PAYGo plans are 3G.

Since the Alert Ready Emergency alerts are sent over 4G this apparently explains why I wasn’t getting the alerts.

But…apparently user 57 DOES receive the alerts on a PAYGo plan. 

Not sure who to believe anymore.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have the following comments regarding LTE and PAYGo.

1. It may be that LTE Voice is not available with PayGo.  Not sure on that.  Here's an old thread discussing LTE.  There are several other very old threads discussing LTE PAYGo if you search this forum for those terms.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/Getting-LTE-on-prepaid/m-p/287341#M560

2. I don't use Data on my iPhone 5S, however, when I check the various data settings LTE is showing in my phone.

3. I'm on the same Grandfathered "Anytime" plan that I've been on since 2009.  I doubt that makes any difference.

4. The Alerts would not be coming over voice though, so it's not a matter of if you have LTE Voice, but I believe rather if you have a compatible device and you're connected to an LTE tower.  As I stated earlier, I'm not a phone expert.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/network-coverage

Scroll down to the map, or view the following:

https://www.comparecellular.com/rogers-coverage-maps/

I'm a Senior Advisor

Apparently there was an Alert around 5 am this morning, according to family members. I didn't hear it because my cellphone wasn't on and isn't compatible anyway, and  I wasn't watching TV or listening to the radio at that time. Is there an archive of these alerts somewhere?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario