cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$100 voucher discontinued?

Shagedorn
I plan to stick around

I went into the store yesterday to purchase a $100 voucher for our Android phone for next year.

The store person told me that that program that lets you make one purchase to last a year is now discontinued.  However, for $180, he said I could purchase a voucher that would do the same thing.

So by discontinuing the program and starting another identical program, they can't be accused of an 80% increase in cost???!!!

I came home and tried chatting because I couldn't believe he got his facts straight.  I was directed to the "self care customer line" for pay as you go.   Can't talk to anyone there, either.  If this "increase" is true, I'm done with Rogers.  We cut off our TV and changed internet providers long ago.   Now it looks like the phone will go, too.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: $100 voucher discontinued?

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Shagedorn Thanks for the feedback. That's about what I surmised.

Times change and so do people's expectations from their cellphone plans. While the original "anytime minutes plan" may be perfect for occasional use by us old timers, I doubt it would interest the selfie generation who text all day long.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

View solution in original post

85 REPLIES 85

barndoor
I'm a trusted contributor

Did you buy a $100 card last year  .... so you are buying another card to renew an  old plan  ?

RogersZia

Hello @Shagedorn,

Welcome to the Community!

It’s not unusual for us to review our products and pricing; it’s our way of continuing to make sure that we’re giving customers the best service possible. For a list of available plans, please visit this page.

Happy Holidays!

RogersZia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersZia :  Just as an FYI, the "Review PAYGo FAQs" link doesn't work on that page.

I did reply to @Shagedorn regarding his issues with contacting someone in his other thread/post (link below).  There seems to be some confusion as to what's available in PAYgo now, but certainly $180 is not the only option, unless that's for a different plan from what he had before.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/How-do-I-reach-a-live-person-to-speak-to-at-Rog...

barndoor

@Shagedorn wrote:

I went into the store yesterday to purchase a $100 voucher for our Android phone for next year.

The store person told me that that program that lets you make one purchase to last a year is now discontinued.  However, for $180, he said I could purchase a voucher that would do the same thing.

@the problem here is that  @ Shagedorn   's wording here suggests this is a voucher to renew a plan already in place.  Which means it has been in place for a year and therefore should be grandfathered  and a one hundred dollar voucher  should work for it just fine . 

If it is a new  plan purchase then yes indeed I'm afraid  you better start shopping @Shagedorn  ...otherwise ...shame on the  Rogers staff for trying to mislead you about  the $100 voucher and what it can be used for and pushing you toward an unneeded plan  .

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Shagedorn wrote:

So by discontinuing the program and starting another identical program, they can't be accused of an 80% increase in cost???!!!

Is the $100 voucher for a year the plan you have always used? If so, you can top up $100 on line and get 365 days. I just checked.

Edited to add:

I would always buy the $100 vouchers at the Rogers store. I would even get the agent to update my account because I didn't trust myself to enter the 14-digit code without messing up.  But the last time I tried 2-3 years ago, the Rogers agent at the store told me they don't sell the vouchers, never did, which was not true. After that I always renewed on line or by calling the PayGo number if I wanted to use $100 from my balance. 

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@RogersZia wrote:

It’s not unusual for us to review our products and pricing; it’s our way of continuing to make sure that we’re giving customers the best service possible.

How is replacing a $100/year plan with a $180/year plan "giving customers the best service possible"?

Could you enlighten us on the status of the original basic prepaid plan where you can buy a balance of $20 to $95 for 30 days or $100 for 365 days? Will I still be able to stay with it, or is it just being withheld from new customers or those wishing to switch from another plan?

barndoor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I would always buy the $100 vouchers at the Rogers store. I would even get the agent to update my account because I didn't trust myself to enter the 14-digit code without messing up.  But the last time I tried 2-3 years ago, the Rogers agent at the store told me they don't sell the vouchers, never did, which was not true. After that I always renewed on line or by calling the PayGo number if I wanted to use $100 from my balance. 

I had basically the same experience  except that that it was 4 or 5  years ago when I tried  buy a voucher in a Rogers store  ... the other 9 times including that year  I just bought the vouchers at a variety store and then called them in  ...  and there were two years that I called in to do the $100 rollover .   ... sad to see that  Rogers feels it is not worth keeping the "Anytime Plan " because I think  it was great for older people and those  that just needed an emergency  phone once in a while . I can certainly  understand though  how it certainly won't  be adding anything to Rogers profit margin  and why it is being phased out .   Smiley Sad

barndoor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Could you enlighten us on the status of the original basic prepaid plan 

Since you are a " resident expert " does  Rogers not grant you  access to that info from a reliable source  ? 

I know I got snarly about the content of someones post and  in response a Rogers staffer sent me an email stating  that the plan you are referring to was cancelled a few months ago  .... but those already on the plan were being grandfathered.  

That and I phoned in to Paygo  and asked. 

I  don't understand why Rogers doesn't grant you easy access to that information in your position  .

Shagedorn
I plan to stick around

We were not informed of any such grandfathering.  Just that the plan was ending and every other option was far more expensive.  We use the cell phone for emergency calling only so we have built up a substantial balance.

After my frustrated post, I was reading that someone was able to use their balance as payment for continuing their annual plan.  I'll call to see what our options are.

Thanks!

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor wrote:
... sad to see that  Rogers feels it is not worth keeping the "Anytime Plan " because I think  it was great for older people and those  that just needed an emergency  phone once in a while .

I've been talking about the original Pay as You Go plan where calls and texts are deducted from your balance, before there were any of the other plans with various features such as free texts, free Canada wide long distance, data add-ons, etc. I had not heard this being the "Anytime Plan" until now.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

barndoor wrote:

Since you are a " resident expert " does  Rogers not grant you  access to that info from a reliable source  ? 

I know I got snarly about the content of someones post and  in response a Rogers staffer sent me an email stating  that the plan you are referring to was cancelled a few months ago  .... but those already on the plan were being grandfathered.  

That and I phoned in to Paygo  and asked. 

I  don't understand why Rogers doesn't grant you easy access to that information in your position  .

"Resident Experts" are frequent users chosen by Rogers who have been helpful answering questions and solving problems. Accepting the designation is optional. There are no special privileges or inside information.  We have a private forum here where we can discuss things with each other and moderators and occasionally we've been invited to product launches.  I'm just speaking for myself here. My Rogers phone and cable boxes are pretty old. 🙂

As for calling PayGo, I've had good and bad experiences. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, try again.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Shagedorn wrote:

We were not informed of any such grandfathering.  Just that the plan was ending and every other option was far more expensive.  We use the cell phone for emergency calling only so we have built up a substantial balance.

After my frustrated post, I was reading that someone was able to use their balance as payment for continuing their annual plan.  I'll call to see what our options are.

Thanks!

I also use my phone just for occasional calls and texts when I'm away from home. At other times it's turned off.

I have not heard anything from Rogers about "grandfathering" the original plan either. All I know is that when I go to my PayGo Balance page there is a TOP UP NOW link that gives me the choice of topping up $20 to $95 for 30 days or $100 for 365 days.  As for topping up using funds from my balance, years ago I received a letter in the mail from Rogers informing me I had a balance of over $200 and could use part of it to renew. I thought that was a one time deal and forgot about it because I still had months to go. When it came time to renew I hauled out the letter and called Rogers and was told that was good.  I've been using my balance ever since when possible, originally at the Rogers store, then by phone when they wouldn't do that anymore. There is no Internet link to renew using your balance. You have to call 1-800-575-9090 and speak to a live agent.

barndoor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@barndoor wrote:
... sad to see that  Rogers feels it is not worth keeping the "Anytime Plan " because I think  it was great for older people and those  that just needed an emergency  phone once in a while .

I've been talking about the original Pay as You Go plan where calls and texts are deducted from your balance, before there were any of the other plans with various features such as free texts, free Canada wide long distance, data add-ons, etc. I had not heard this being the "Anytime Plan" until now.

Ok... so to be specific , what does Rogers have your plan labeled as in  your My Rogers  account ? 

Ours , for the last ten years or so has been called "by  the minute Talk All Day  "  plan . I believe this has morphed over time to the ..."by the minute  Talk Anytime" plan .   The way you are describing your plan as working is exactly how the aforementioned  plans seem to  work .   Now why  Rogers staff will email  me that the plan  was cancelled a couple months ago,  but don't seem to want to clarify that point for you here when you have asked in three ? different posts now , has me completely  baffled.

To be fair though in looking around at the competition  ...a lot of them seem to  be dropping the "by the minute " type plans .  It certainly seems pretty obvious  why  .... money .....  they just won't generate the cash flow on a consistent basis.  

Hopefully @Shagedorn  comes back with some positive  news tomorrow  about his/her  situation because after the facts  presented in that last post  someone at Rogers  was certainly  not putting the customers interests  first . Smiley Wink

barndoor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

"Resident Experts" are frequent users chosen by Rogers who have been helpful answering questions and solving problems. Accepting the designation is optional. There are no special privileges or inside information.  We have a private forum here where we can discuss things with each other and moderators and occasionally we've been invited to product launches. 

If resident experts  can discuss things with moderators on a private board  and get a prompt response why can't you ask them the question about what is happening  with this particular  pay go  plan  that you have . It keeps being  brought up about how this plan can be used  to the customers advantage,  but it is never mentioned that it is only those that have the plan already that can benefit from it now  .... new customers will be left wondering what  is going on .  My concern would also be that someone who is benefiting from  it may unwittingly  cancel it or change it and not be able to get it back .

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

barndoor wrote: My concern would also be that someone who is benefiting from  it may unwittingly  cancel it or change it and not be able to get it back .

That concern would exist for anything. If you currently have a grandfathered package for TV, like VIP, you cannot "go back" if you get one of the new packages for some reason like 4K. You will end up with fewer channels for more money.  Something to be aware of for everyone.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@barndoor wrote:

If resident experts  can discuss things with moderators on a private board  and get a prompt response why can't you ask them the question about what is happening  with this particular  pay go  plan  that you have . It keeps being  brought up about how this plan can be used  to the customers advantage,  but it is never mentioned that it is only those that have the plan already that can benefit from it now  .... new customers will be left wondering what  is going on .  My concern would also be that someone who is benefiting from  it may unwittingly  cancel it or change it and not be able to get it back .

Resident Experts are not "special" and have no special access to moderators. In fact, if we ask a moderator something here publicly, it's more likely to get a response because everyone sees it.

As for unwittingly switching to one of the new prepaid plans, I did exactly that in the past year when a plan with free texting and some other stuff was offered as a promotion for $100. I called and asked for this plan using $100 from my large balance. But when I then checked my balance I saw it was zero and realized that was not what I wanted. So I called back and asked to have my old plan reinstated. Of course, I now had just $100 balance.

But to your point, we still have not seen any official statement here on the status of the original PayGo plan, whether existing customers will be able to keep it indefinitely or change back to it if they unwittingly switched to a newer plan, or new customers can get it at all. @CommunityHelps please answer this question.

Shagedorn
I plan to stick around

I just called the pay-as-you-go line:  1-800-575-9090 and selected 4,4,1 as instructed to speak with a representative.

After being on hold for a short time, the representative confirmed what I have been told on this forum.  And that is:

The "anytime minutes plan" that we have had for many years is being grandfathered.

So she offered to apply $100 of our account balance and use it to pay for next year.  That is extremely generous of Rogers to do this.  I would have been quite happy to add $100 to our balance to extend my plan another year.  I asked if I could pay $100 next year if there was not sufficient balance to extend the plan, and she said yes.

So we will stay with Rogers to continue this plan.  It is just our emergency phone.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@Shagedorn Thanks for the feedback. That's about what I surmised.

Times change and so do people's expectations from their cellphone plans. While the original "anytime minutes plan" may be perfect for occasional use by us old timers, I doubt it would interest the selfie generation who text all day long.

swrightsls1
I've been here awhile
Except Rogers does not support CIBC as a bank, so if you don't want to give them a credit card, you're stuck.

swrightsls1
I've been here awhile
We have 3 plans that were on the $100/year voucher and anytime plan, which typically lasted 6-9 months before running out. We opted to go with the $180 plan with free eve/wkds and unlimited texting. I am about to renew one using two $100 vouchers, leaving $20 on the account for any calls not covered by the plan. We'll see how this works. The disadvantage to the $180 plan is if your balance is 0, you can't make a call outside the eve/weekends, so it's not great for emergencies unless you ensure the balance is above 0.
Topic Stats
  • 85 replies
  • 22 Likes
  • 12 in conversation