cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$100 top up expire date short than before?

HowardL
I plan to stick around

Hi there,

I just top up for $200 by using vouchers 2 $100 vouchers, (input one by one at one call), then checked the expire date is 2024-01-11.

But i remember that before,  every $100 can extend the expire date 360 (or 365) days, so the $200 top up shall extend 2*360 (or 2*365) days.

Is the expire date short than before or I wrongly remember that?

PS: If I remember correctly, before, I used to top up 2 times by using online way, the expire date was extended on the basis of the date after 1st time top up.

e.g. 1st time top up $50, then the date extended to e.g. 2020-1-1, then top up $50 again, the date changed to 2020-2-1.

That's why I consider the 2 times $100 top up shall extend the expire date from 2024-1-11 to 2025-1-11

Thanks.

***Edited Labels***

13 REPLIES 13

Re: $100 top up expire date short than before?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I've always used auto-top-up and then suspend payments for a year when I have enough balance, so I'm not familiar with how the vouchers work, but I'll tag @OLDYELLR  because he has used them often.

The nice thing about auto-top up is you can also specify a minimum balance and it'll top up automatically when you reach the minimum you specify. In that way you never run out of money in your "account".  

I would have thought that the expiry date is based on when you do the top up, but I really don't know.

I know that some people do not like to do auto payments, but I have found them to be most convenient for me since I also travel a lot and that way I never need to worry about payments, etc.  It's all taken care of automatically and since I pay with a Rogers MasterCard, I get a rebate and I also get another month to pay since the credit card is on auto-withdrawal from my bank, which gives me almost 2 months from when the original payment takes place.  Definitely a "win" for me.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@57 wrote:

I've always used auto-top-up and then suspend payments for a year when I have enough balance, so I'm not familiar with how the vouchers work, but I'll tag @OLDYELLR  because he has used them often.

I started out buying $25 vouchers each month at the Rogers Store, then $100 ones for a year when I learned about them.  Typing in the long authorization number was a chore, so I got the agent to update my phone. When I learned about the 1-800-575-9090 PayGo number I'd call to update my subscription.  While I can renew on line, I prefer to call because I can ask to draw from my balance if it's well over $100 and also get credit for spam calls.  I've noticed my expiry date has advanced over the years because I don't always renew on the date, just before the next time I need to use my phone. I believe there's 14 days of grace before you lose your balance or even your number if you don't renew on time.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

@HowardL wrote:

Hi there,

I just top up for $200 by using vouchers 2 $100 vouchers, (input one by one at one call), then checked the expire date is 2024-01-11.

1 year is the max for $100. Another $100 just gives you a balance of $200 for the year. But if you had used the second voucher a month later, maybe you could have extended your subscription another month. I'm not sure.

HowardL
I plan to stick around

Ah, this could be an explanation. But as a customer, I didn't consider like this after reading the statement on the

In a word, I thought the expire date is calculated on the basis of the last "expire date", but in your explanation, the expire date is calculated on the basis of the date of top up.

Since there is no statement or example on the top up voucher, I will ask Rogers to check if they can improve this to make clearer understanding.

Thank you for your reply.

Does rogers still currently honour this and allow you to take $100 from your balance to extend your expiry date into the next year?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@cjmangilaya : AFAIK, if you're still on the Grandfathered Anytime plan, then the answer is yes.  I did it last year.  You need to call them to do this per the following instructions, but if you've done it before that should not be news to you:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/Prepaid-account/m-p/521259/highlight/true#M3827

I havent tried ir before, but I'm not sure if I'm grandfathered in. I've had a pay as you go account for over 10 years so I think I am but not sure. They changed my plan from anytime to a pay as you go $12/month plan that takes from my balance. Do you know if this is considered grandfathered?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would need to contact them since you're no longer on the Anytime plan and I have no experience with the $12/mo plan.

Thank you, I'll reach out to them and see what they can do

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Please follow up here and let us know the answer.

cjmangilaya
I'm here a lot

I called them and since my anytime plan has become a monthly pre-paid plan, but I still top up yearly she did not offer me to use $100 of my balance to extend it to the next year. She was saying because the plan takes out $12 each month and because my current balance was $96 set to expire in June of this year she said there was no reason to add more to the balance just to extend the expiry, so she just extended my expiry to Sept. Which by then my balance would drop a little bit and I will add a $100 voucher then to extend my balance expiry to the next year.  My only worry was that I would lose the money in my balance due to an expiry--that I honestly think should be omitted if I'm already forced to pre-pay because I wasn't grandfathered in.

OLDYELLR
I'm a senior advisor

I've been on the grandfathered $100/year plan for over 10 years. I never succumbed to letting them change it to some monthly plan. Each year when my payment cones due, I call PayGo at 1-800-575-9090 and renew with my credit card or ask to take the payment from my balance if the balance is well over $100 and will leave me a year's airtime. I also keep track of spam texts and have the cost reimbursed.  Are you saying you can no longer do that by calling 1-800-575-9090 and are being forced into a more expensive plan?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Are you saying you can no longer do that by calling 1-800-575-9090 and are being forced into a more expensive plan?

Not at all.   If you read his earlier post, link below, you'll see he changed to the $12 Talk/Text plan and his last post indicated he's happy with what he's doing.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Pay-as-You-Go/100-top-up-expire-date-short-than-before/m-p/521...

Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation