cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Hey Cortana" and the Nokia 830

Jase
I'm here a lot

Could someone with a Nokia 830 please confirm that it does not support voice activation ("Hey Cortana") yet. 

Its rumored to only be suppored on  S800+ qualcomm processors, but that was just a tweet.   The problem is that are currently 0 windows devices avaible in Canada with  flagship features.  One US carrier had at least 3 (Ativ SE, One M8, and Icon)  

I'm stuck with my choice for 3 years so I don't really want a phone that is missing a core feature right out of the gate.  The price is right though and it is an excellent replacement for the 635.

Thanks,

Jason

***Edited Labels.***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: "Hey Cortana" and the Nokia 830

michael-r4
I plan to stick around

You are correct,,,Ative Cortana voice activation will only work on the Nokia 1520 and the Nokia 930 as they are the only two current devices to have  S800+ qualcomm processors and anything less will only support Passive Cortana voice activation,,Take the leap and buy a 1520 ,,, You won't regret it,,,Ever

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

michael-r4
I plan to stick around

You are correct,,,Ative Cortana voice activation will only work on the Nokia 1520 and the Nokia 930 as they are the only two current devices to have  S800+ qualcomm processors and anything less will only support Passive Cortana voice activation,,Take the leap and buy a 1520 ,,, You won't regret it,,,Ever

There is ACTIVE CORTANA?!

O__O I obviously missed that news. But I agree Nokia 1520 & 930 with active cortana would be something worth checking out.

brandonjbarnard
I'm a reliable contributor

As far as I know Nokia 830 does not support "Hey Cortana" but does meet the sensorcore requirement. So maybe with the Windows 10 upgrade Hey Cortana will be available on that device.

830 seems like a decent phone. I myself am holding out for a new flagship and hoping they come to Rogers. My Lumia 920 is still going strong fortunately for me. If you haven't already upgraded and can wait, I'd suggest waiting to see what becomes available with Windows 10. The 1520 and 930 are nice, but we can get something better in the fall (Provided Rogers supports them).

Just so you know. Microsoft store sells BLU phones...
which are like low market phones but work amazingly. and the brand price tag isn't there. Unlocked is like 200-300 bucks. Worth a look if you want to see.

I am not sure if Hey Crotona feature is part of it.. but since you are gonna check it out in microsoft store, you might as well ask one of the reps there. o__o just a thought

brandonjbarnard

@ShakTiburon

I've looked into those BLU phones as well. I also tested one out when I was at a Microsoft Store location in  Florida in April.

If I needed a new windows phone and there was still a year to wait for a flagship I'd definitely get one of those. For myself I'll wait until the fall for the Windows 10 flagships and then just hope that Rogers offers them. A great suggestion!

Oh, good to know that you checked it out

I actually figured you did look at them, but mentioned it in case you didn't. And yeah Flagship is a Flagship in the end. I am holding off on getting a Windows phone until windows 10 laucnhes as well (Primarily an Android user, but I do test out Apple and Windows from time to time...)

brandonjbarnard

@ShakTiburon

Thanks! I'm always interested in new windows phone tech!

Pretty excited to see what the windows 10 flagships look like!

I was an Android user for 3 months. Its my nemesis. Not a fan at all, but I tell you, those HTC ONE M8's have tempted me on occasion!

.... Honestly, I Like Android over Windows. BUT... I never stay fixed. So it wouldn't be a surprise if Windows 10 swoop me away.

Is it possible to use Cortana on European Lumia 830 (RM-984) with firmware update?

I recently purchased a second-hand unlocked Lumia 830 (RM-984) that was originally configured for Italy. I live in Toronto.

The phone is working well (I'm with Rogers service provider) in all respects but one. I am unable to download Speech or Keyboard for either Canada or United States. So if I set Region to Canada(English), Cortana does not work. 

I've been working with various tech support people (in Microsoft's call centre in India) and they seem unable to help me get the Canadian or American Speech/Keyboard to download. Italian Speech/Keyboard seemed to be default when I got phone. After many hours work I was able to get English (United Kingdom) to download. I can't remove the Italian language. So Microsoft tech support feel that using British Region + British Keyboard + British Speech is going to be the work-around. I think there must be a better solution.

I believe the problem lies in firmware. Even though I used Microsoft Recovery Tool to take phone back to Win8.1, then install Win10, then update to latest version of Win10Mobile, the firmware has never changed from the original.

The complete model # of phone is: 059W554  RM-984  VAR EURO CV IT

The firmware is: 02177.00000.15184.36004

My question is: Has anybody out there purchased a RM-984 (meant for European market), and somehow flashed it with firmware meant to be on a RM-985 (North American) Lumia 830?

The complete model number that goes with the firmware I think I should install on my phone is:

059W5G2 RM-985 RAR NAM CA ROGERS SLV SL  (I'm pretty sure the silver colour in the code will be irrelevant)

I have downloaded the Nokia Care Suite and have found this firmware:

List of Firmware - Click to download

02040.00021.15235.53001 - No Date

Model info

Phone model: Lumia 830
PackageTitle: RM-985 VAR NAM CA ROGERS SLV SL
Product Code: 059W5G2
manufacturerHardwareModel: RM-985
Last Firmware: 02040.00021.15235.53001

Like I said earlier, my phone all works great, and I like it a lot. I don't like British Regional settings (converting pounds to $, listening to British speaker for text-to-speech; wondering if the speech recognition is poor because Cortana doesn't understand my version of spoken English).  I'm hesitant to experiment with this, and would love to hear from anyone out there who bought a European 830 and somehow managed to get Cortana working. I don't care if I use English(Canada) or English(United States) by the way.

Thanks for making it through this long question.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation