cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to change product code when using Nokia Software Recovery Tool to change firmware on Europe

shanchri
I'm here a lot

I have an unlocked Lumia 830 (RM-984) that isn't working properly with Rogers. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to somehow change the product code (when using Nokia Recovery Tool, for example) from current one (059W554) to one meant for the North American Lumia 830 (RM-984). I think a product code of 059W5G2 is the one used on phones meant for Rogers.

Alternately, if anyone has solved the problem of Canadian or American Language packs refusing to download on an international version of the Lumia 830, I'd love to hear how they got that to work.

Thanks

Shane

*Edited Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Possible to change product code when using Nokia Software Recovery Tool to change firmware on Eu

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @shanchri,

This change would be location restricted from the manufacturer and we’re unable to assist with changes that require altering and/or rooting devices.

RogersCilio

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Possible to change product code when using Nokia Software Recovery Tool to change firmware on Eu

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @shanchri,

This change would be location restricted from the manufacturer and we’re unable to assist with changes that require altering and/or rooting devices.

RogersCilio

Okay. I guess that's Rogers' official position, and I appreciate that they aren't going to want to hear from someone who claims that someone on the Rogers site advised him how to do this. There are probably hundreds of this 'international' model of the phone sold to Canadians on eBay, and I bet more than one of them has been gutsy enough to go ahead and flash the firmware. I'm hoping to connect with one of those people, and I figure that a Rogers forum is as good a place as any to find him/her.

I also wonder if it's possible to find some workaround that will make the phone's features that don't involve forcing some new firmware on it.

Finally, I'd like to understand (from a Rogers techie) how it is that the original firmware doesn't get modified as new versions of Win8.1 and all the iterations of Win10Mobile get gushed down to the phone.

Thanks for the speedy response . . . I hope to learn more, though.

Shane

Hi @shanchri,

I understand where you’re coming from but we can’t really comment on those claims. Your workaround would involve, essentially the same thing. If the phone won’t do it organically, the only way to make it work are the same methods, and we’re unable to assist with that.

As for the “firmware” while the OS is “modified/updated” when a new OS is rolled out the firmware doesn’t change, that is the base system of the device. Much like BIOS and Microsoft Windows on a computer. You can update windows but the BIOS is still there. So even though the international phones are receiving OS upgrade this isn’t changing the firmware to North America.   

Cheers,

RogersCilio

I don't understand your answer. Firmware is updated for all sorts of electronics, and I've read plenty of threads where Nokia owners discuss firmware numbers to see if they have the latest version. Here's something from WindowsCentral.com as an example:

New firmware update for Lumia 950/950 XL: 01078.00027.15506.020xx

As a refresher, this is what the latest firmware for the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL brings. Many user reports confirm better battery life and, more importantly, less heating of the phone due to background processes:

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation