cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lumia 950

Xanman
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, 

when is the Microsoft Lumia 950 availible for preorder at Rogers? 

I am very interested in this phone. 

***Edited Labels***

221 REPLIES 221

Re: Lumia 950

IainS
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes i believe Microsoft will be pushing updates directly to windows 10 mobile devices in the future with no carrier interference. Which is very welcome because we all know how carriers mess up updates when it comes to phones.

james1115
I've Been Here Awhile
I am very happy with my 1020, my plan is up in febuary will see if anyone will carry the 950 xl. If none i will most likely buy one from ms store and move back to my wifes carrier.

Boardwalk
I Plan to Stick Around

Lumia 950 now available for preorder at B&H Photo.

$629 US

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around
Isn't that higher than what Apple charges for its Iphone? That works out to roughly $750 CDN, plus shipping and customs. Rather steep for unproven technology.

Boardwalk
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually that is the price for the 950XL.

An iphone that actually competes is closer to a $1,000.

The 950 has 32gb not 16gb, expandable storage space, better camera specs. Overall, a fairly competitive price.

Also, MS have been dropping the price in Europe, so our price might end up a little better than this.

ph8
I Plan to Stick Around

@Boardwalk May the pricing "over lords" work their magic here in Canada:-)

quickpick
I Plan to Stick Around

So, will Rogers carry 950 and 950XL eventually?

My slow 620 is in need of upgrade. I have reward points to use for upgrade. 

It's sad that Rogers will not carry these phones.

brandonjbarnard
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@quickpick

I wouldn't get my hopes up, and would make other arrangements in regards to how you upgrade your Lumia 620.

If you want to get a new device using your reward points I highly recommend the Nexus 6P. Despite being a windows phone fan-boy I'm really impressed and enjoying my Android 6.0 experience. Plus the Nexus 6P is a great piece of hardware. I've got Outlook and One Drive downloaded on  my new device. Keep in mind as well that the Nexus 6P has the stock version of Android on it, and it has been running amazingly well for me.

If you don't want to go Android,  you will have to buy your next windows phone outright. Unless the Lumia 830 is available through Rogers still. As of right now there are no Canadian carriers offering the Lumia 950 or 950 XL. I don't think that will be changing either. So if you have an extra $850 +  to spend congrats! The device will probably be available to Canadian markets in December.

there are website like www.expansys.ca that sell unlocked windows phones as well.  You could even buy a unlocked Lumia 640 off that site or directly from the Canadian Microsoft store. It would defintiely be a solid upgrade to your 620, and it will be upgraded to Windows 10 when the time comes.

Good luck in your upgrading endeavours!

B

Your are welcome!

Windows phones are very affordable right now. Check them out 🙂

EhmTeeEhf
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee
"thumbs Up"

geokots
I'm Here A Lot

The best plan I could find is with Telus. It is through work but not part of a corporate plan. Bring my own phone will be $35 less than what I'm paying now. Mentally I'll convince myself that it'll be the subsidy amount 😉

My plan is to by the L950 from MS store, buy out what I owe on the L830 (most of it using my Rogers points) and move to Telus. I'll do it just before my Dec. billing cycle.

Telus is no better than Rogers but once a company (or companies) stops supporting what I want then there's no need for loyalty.

I still can't believe that all the Canadian carriers are still carrying Blackberrys but not these. Guess now I'm free to use another carrier though 

RNEric
I Plan to Stick Around

Using my new Lumia 950 XL now; I know the phone supports WiFi calling and VOLTE but I don't think those features are enabled on Rogers for this device...

alextheangel
I Plan to Stick Around

did you see options under setting-> cellular&Sim as wifi calling or VoLTE?

and also features like those should be a standard thing just like GSmM or Part of the LTE, suppose to work with any settings. but some how carriers make them complicate to force you use an app , or patent protocol way to make you have to buy branded device from them, which is locked and doing so to make it harder to switch.

quickpick
I Plan to Stick Around

MS just releases an new entry-level windows 10 phone Lumia 550. Maybe it's a good alternative to 950.

ph8
I Plan to Stick Around

Certainly cannot beat the price:-) Might take a trip over to the MS Store to see one live.

alextheangel
I Plan to Stick Around

550 sound very good rpice. but I will still suggest 640xl instead for those who are looking for entery level

for mid rang hopefully rogers might carry is 850 that might fit most people's need better.

and ffor myself I got 950 already, which is just blow mind expereince, I love it period. majorly due to Continuum feature. I have been challenge myself not using computer or tablet at all last week , but only 950 and continuum alone, for a whole week last week. of couse to be fair, I don't have to work last week. but real challenge starts now. see if I can survive witout tablet/computer but only 950and continuum alone this week.

I just wanted to chime in!

I've had my Lumia 950 XL for a while now (I was one of the first to pre-order), and I absolutely love it!

Windows 10 Mobile has been fantastic, love the enhancements. I was already familiar with Windows 10 as I was running Insider on my old Lumia 1020.

Screen is amazing, performance amazing, and it takes beautiful pictures/videos. Love the native Office apps, and I'm loving Outlook on Windows 10.

Already picked up a wireless display adapter for streaming wirelessly, and also got a Display Dock as part of their pre-order offers. I tend to go on random trips quite often, being able to plug in the wireless display adapter to stream music/videos in hotels is AWESOME!

Call quality is amazing, and battery life is excellent (it was horrible the first few days, but I realized it was because I was using the device non-stop because I was so excited lol, using it normal day-to-day it's better than my Lumia 1020).

Cell reception is amazing (comparing it in deadzones to my old Lumia 1020, iPhones, etc...).

Only unfortunate thing is that while the device offers VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling, it's disabled on the Rogers network.

alextheangel
I Plan to Stick Around

With a right setting and adaptor/device. You could actually do three thing at the same time with just one phone.
So wired connected to monitor 1 for continuum, casting video/music from YouTube or local storage to TV/home theatre , making phone call or any other task on your phone. So two external display one wired and one wireless plus one on the phone. Hopefully continuum will support snap screen soon.
For the WiFi calling, I think Rogers basically only worked on Fruit now , android OS support that way before iSO did, and lots of android supposedly worked but still not on Rogers.

I am a long time Windows phone user.

I presently have a 1020 which I bought to years ago from Rogers.

Now looking forward to upgrade to the 950 XL.

Alas! There are no more Windows phones on Rogers for ordering.

Yet the phone can be ordered, unlocked, from the canadian Microsoft store.

The question is, how do I find out about the compatibility of the 950 XL with Rogers's network?

And suppose, after my long research, I conclude that the phone is indeed compatible, and I order one, what do I do when I get the phone at my house, do I simply take the SIM card from my 1020 and slide it in the 950 XL?

Is that all that will be required?

From preliminary reseach (I'm no cellular jock), it seems the 950 XL is a "superset" of the 1020 cellular capabilities.

Topic Stats