smart watch network compatability

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

smart watch network compatability

I have a W9 smart watch that I bought from China and it is supposed to work on the following bands- 2G GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, and 3G WCDMA: 2100 MHz. Will this smart watch work on the Roger's Canada network? Also is there any plans that would allow me to use "either" my smart phone or my smart watch without having two separate plans?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Re: smart watch network compatability

Hi @Codger,

It would be best to check out the Rogers Frequencies Thread here: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NetworkCoverage/thread-id/151

It should help you confirm if your out of country device will be compatible.

@RogersPrasana

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

Hello @codger

Answer is very straight forward.
Will it work on Rogers Network?
  Yes
Is there any plans that would allow you to use "either" your smart phone or smartwatch (3G capable)?
  No

Samsung Gear S in Canada has that capability (3G/Sim card). Yet there is no plans for it dedicated to work as a "Add-on" as of yet.

You will have two seperate plans/Lines.
1 Main Primary Line - Your SmartPhone

and either...
1 Secondary - Network Access Plan (with data only)
or
1 Secondary - Talk & Text line
or
1 Secondary - Talk, Text and & Internet Line.

(Depending on what your watch uses)

I recommend looking into what the device does and does not do.

Example: If it is android wear then it juse needs data.

If it's considered a "stand alone" device that can make calls without a phone then you may want, talk & text or talk, text and data plan.

They will be sharing the data from smartphone plan because it will be in same account.

Look into ShareEverything Plan. Good options there but I can't see W9 full manual anywhere. So I don't know it's capabilities, I only know it runs Android 4.4.

I've Been Here Awhile

The W9 smart watch is a complete stand alone Android 4.4.2 watch. It is capable of talk, text, and data just like a smart phone. The only caveat is  - it is only capable of:  2G GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G WCDMA: 2100MHz - so I guess it will only function on the 2G band of Rogers.  My question: what would be the most economical way of having talk, text, and WIFI for this watch (I do not need DATA)? Can I get  a share everything plan with my wife and allow her to have a phone and myself to have a phone and include my smart watch on the days I chosse to not take my phone but use the smart watch instead?

Rogers Employee ShakTiburon
Rogers Employee

In Short. Yes you can do that.
You can get your wife her own plan on shareeverything and have the second line as your own for your phone. Your can then place the sim card from your phone to your smartwatch when phone is not in use. It will have the same plan/number as your phone.
From the carrier point of view, you are using two "phones" as your watch will act like one. Just because the it's in a form of a watch shouldn't be taken as one. As the watch is standalone phone.

So bottom line... you would have only 2 lines.
You can also have a talk&text plan for your watch seperately ($35 dollars I believe) as a thirdline, but it will have it's own number... downside; you'll be sharing 2 numbers used by you with friends and family.

Either way, there is a hassle of some sort:
2 lines = 1 Line for Wife + 1 Line for Swaping sim card from/to phone and watch.
3 lines = 1 Line for Wife + 2 lines and numbers owned by you to share with friends and family (and forwarding your phone when leaving it behind to the watch)

I like the former better, less hassle. Your sim will wear out quick though.
I Plan to Stick Around

got a watch today for 99.00 plus tax was told unlocked it aint its Rogers so had to get a sim card and go prepaid cant find emei number and to see if it has wi fi or not thanks

Hi @Hotrod_1975,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.

This definitely sounds like an ordeal. What kind of smart watch is it? Do you have the original packaging for the watch?

Just need a little bit more info. to help you further :).

RogersZia

I Plan to Stick Around

its eiother a Pandaoo or zomtop Dz09 or padgene Dzo9 looks like this pic on link. https://www.amazon.ca/Padgene-Bluetooth-Samsung-Android-Smartphones/dp/B00X9L90RG/ref=sr_1_6/131-733...

I Plan to Stick Around

It is Rogers its locked as well tried to incert a PC Mobile card did not work or on Bell Fido etc:

Hi @Hotrod_1975,

Just by going through the specs listed on the link you shared, I noticed it doesn't mention anything about wifi capabilities. Have you tried to contact the smartwatch manufacturer?

I'll also tag our Resident Experts @Meowmix and @gp-se for further insights.

RogersZia

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 in conversation