cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What 3.5 GHz frequencies does Rogers use?

JKnott
I'm a reliable contributor

There has been a lot in the news recently, about potential interference between C band 5G and aircraft altimeters.  My understanding is that the frequencies using in Canada are slightly lower than those in the U.S, which would reduce interference.  The assigned frequencies will also affect that separation.  I'm curious as to the frequencies Rogers uses in the vicinity of Pearson airport, which is not far from my home.  I'm just a couple of blocks from a restricted zone, which places limitations on that band.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: What 3.5 GHz frequencies does Rogers use?

RogersTony

Hello, @JKnott

Thank you for posting your concerns to the community.

You can check our network coverage maps to determine what areas have 5G service. You can find the link here: Network Coverage Map.

You can also read more about our investments into our 5G network here and join the ongoing conversation in the community by visiting the 5G Bands Supported thread.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

JKnott

Yes, I know I can check coverage maps, but that wasn't my question.  I'm interested in knowing whether this is likely to be an issue in my area.  According to this map, I live near a restricted zone near Pearson airport.  I believe there was a C band auction recently and it would be interesting to see whether the blocks Rogers received are likely to have these interference issues.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Here's a good article on the topic:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canada-in-control-of-5g-airport-issues-that-led-to-cancelled-fl...

It seems that Service providers have done their due diligence. The fact that this article was published in the National Post, which is usually "anti-Service Provider" leads even more credence to the safety.

JKnott

I am aware that Canada is using slightly lower frequencies than the U.S., which provide a wider guard band to protect against interference.  However, some of the articles I've read indicate that the guard band in Canada is up to 700 MHz, which would pretty much include all of the allocated C band.  I have also seen 500 MHz mentioned, which is better, but still wider than what's used in other parts of the world.  Of course, to reduce this interference a lower frequency block would be preferred.  Also, some articles about the U.S. show different frequencies being used.  Some say just below 4GHz and others 4 - 4.4 GHz, which includes the altimeters.  So, it's hard to nail down exactly what frequencies are used.  I don't know how power levels here compare with the U.S.  What I find curios is most of the complaints are about the U.S. and seems to be more about Boeing planes, than Airbus.  That makes it sound like a design issue with Boeing altimeters.  The closest Rogers site to me that's affected is on Watline Ave., near Whittle Rd., in Mississauga, which appears to be within the protected zone west of the south east/west runway at Pearson.

Hi @JKnott,

Rogers continues to work with ISED and the aviation industry to ensure Canadians can maximize the benefits of 5G. On the basis of ‘an abundance of caution’, ISED previously applied temporary restrictions on 3500MHz around Canadian airports. While these restrictions reduce 5G capacity in these areas, Rogers has other frequency bands that it is using and will use in future to deliver 5G in these defined areas.

Regards,

RogersMoin

expresspotato
I plan to stick around

Anyways, no one here actually answered the question. It's going to be on n78, meaning it's 5G only. You'll need a software update for an Android phone to take advantage of it. iPhone 13 already shipped with it enabled.

Edit: The other thread has some more information. https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Network-Coverage/5G-Bands-supported/td-p/465778

Surprisingly bad management somewhere, the S22's all in Canada shipped without n78 support (the modem supports it but it's not enabled, neither is n77, which covers n78).

JKnott

I have a Pixel 6, which I believe supports C band.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 in conversation