Sending a message to SMS relay/gateway

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Sending a message to SMS relay/gateway

Hi everybody. I have a feeling I'm posting in the wrong area so I apologize.

Just have a simple question. Is the cost sending to a SMS gateway/relay (ie. 7000, 8943, etc..) still based on the geographical location?

Sorry for the incorrect terminology.

Thanks
Mike

*Edited Labels*

Re: Sending a message to SMS relay/gateway

Hello, @Jinseng74

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. We need more information to correctly answer your question. Did you incur charges to text a 4 digit number? Or did you incur charges to the service offered? Most of the time sending the text itself would be a local text cost and you will incur charges to the service being offered.

@Community - Please join this conversation and share your expertise, thank you. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

This question isn't due to a charge. It more inquiring because Google release a new chat like hangouts but you can use this new client to talk to people with sms but your message will go to a gateway/relay before it gets send to the recipient.

Hello, @Jinseng74

Thank you for the clarification. Are you referring to Allo chat? You may want to check with the support team of that service. I haven't tried that app yet. If it's similar to Hangouts then text message rates of the carrier will apply. If the service is like Whatsapp then it will use your data if you are not on WiFi etc. I recommend to get the clarification from the new chat support, thank you.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Rogersmoin. You're right. I would have said Allo but I totally blanked out on the name.

Lets pretend if it was just a regular relay that resided in the USA. If I were to send a sms to it, would Rogers consider it a local sms or USA/international sms?

Hi @Jinseng74,

Even if it's a regular relay we cannot verify the charges associated with a "generic" app. To be safe we recommend using the service at your own discretion, and simply monitor your next invoice to see if you've incurred any applicable charges.  I would also recommend you to read up on the FAQs for the app. 

Unless you are texting a Canadian number there is no way to guarantee that you will not be billed.

RogersZia