cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM PIN vs PUK vs NETWORK LOCK

Mediaman
I'm a reliable contributor

Background:.

Just experimenting a bit and want to make sure I understand this subject correctly. On my Rogers account, for the last year or so,  I have been using an HTC windows phone. I went through the process at that time to get it unlcoked (it was on Bell at the time) and got a new SIM card from Rogers (there no personal PIN on the SIM card). All reminds good.

Changes:
Lately I am been toying around with an older spare Samsung android phone we had lying around in the house - its now my "training phone" to help me learn the android interface. To date I just use wi-fi the house. 

Issue/Question:

As both phones use the same type of SIM card, I thought I could just move the SIM card over, from the HTC to the Samsung. When I do so, it prompts me for a  PIN, ie it prompts: "SIM Network Unlock PIN". I tried 1234 and 0000 but these dont work. And I know if I try too many attempts, I will need to get a PUK (PIN UnlockKey) from Rogers and reset the PIN.

BUT WAIT .... I never set a PIN on that card, so I'm thinking this is just a bogus message .. and what's really happening is that the Samsung phone is locked ( just confrimed it is, with WIND) and that what I really need to do is unlock it ( for $50).

Am I correct? Is that the reason the Samsung is prompting me for a SIM PIN ( even though a PIN was never set) ??? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: SIM PIN vs PUK vs NETWORK LOCK

RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Mediaman

To help provide more information on the PUK code I believe this post may help. 

Also I would like to loop in @Gdkitty and @Pauly. They have excellent knowledge in this area.

Regards, 

RogersAliciaG

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

RogersAliciaG
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Mediaman

To help provide more information on the PUK code I believe this post may help. 

Also I would like to loop in @Gdkitty and @Pauly. They have excellent knowledge in this area.

Regards, 

RogersAliciaG

Mediaman

Thanks for the info on the PIN unlock process... But I am still wondering if the issue in not the Sim pin at all, but simply a locked Samsung phone. 

Its $50 to unlock that WIND phone so I was hoping to make sure that's my issue. I suppose I can go ahead and unlock it and see if my SIM card works. If it's still not accepting the Sim, I assume I can purchase a new SIM card from any Rogers dealer for a modest charge?

Hi @Mediaman,

You are probably getting that message because the phone is locked to WIND and will not work with Rogers unless you get the phone unlocked. It's the actual phone which is probably carrier locked. @Meowmix, any knowledge in this area? 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Mediaman

@RogersHassam  - Yes thats what I had suspected as well (per post 1). Poorly worded screen that confused a SIM PIN with a Network Unlock Code.  I am in the process of getting the unlock code sent to me ( $25US) . For some reason WIND codes are almsot twice the going rate as other carriers. I should know by end of day if everything worked out.

I restarted my Samsung Note II and it told me to enter in my SIM Card pin. I don't know what the pin is, can somebody help me?

SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK

Hi,

I am getting this message now, when I insert a SIM card that isn't Rogers.

This is my phone that I bought from a different carrier store.

The first sim card I inserted into the phone was Rogers but then wanted to change to another carrier and since I put another sim card in it asks for the "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK".

But if I reinsert the original Rogers sim card this message doesn't appear.

So I am assuming it has something to do with Rogers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

@benjiaadams

@benjiaadams wrote:

SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK

Hi,

I am getting this message now, when I insert a SIM card that isn't Rogers.

This is my phone that I bought from a different carrier store.

The first sim card I inserted into the phone was Rogers but then wanted to change to another carrier and since I put another sim card in it asks for the "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK".

But if I reinsert the original Rogers sim card this message doesn't appear.

So I am assuming it has something to do with Rogers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I know with Samsung devices the phone will "lock" to the first sim card inserted. So even though your bought the phone from another carrier, since you put a Rogers sim in first the phone is locked to Rogers. You would need to get the phone unlocked. Rogers cannot unlock the phone because Rogers never sold it, you need to contact the original carrier you bought the phone from to get an unlock code. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @bengjiaadams

A Puk more know as a Pin Unblock code is a code used to lock ur Device when inserting a unknown sim card. Don't keep putting in numbers as it will lock and not let u unblock it ( as it seems to have happened). As Pauly said in another post, u need to contact the carrier to have them give u the unique code that needs to be entered. Please read below what i have gotten online:)

"Why am I being asked for my phone’s PUK or PUC number?

You have entered the wrong PIN more than three times
Your SIM card has been reported lost or stolen

Most phones permit only three attempts to insert the correct PUK number (PIN) and should we fail to do so the phone is programmed to automatically lock.

What happens if I continue to insert an invalid PIN?

Should the owner continue to repeatedly insert the WRONG pin number, and ten attempts is usually the maximum permitted, then the cellphone locks permanently and your SIM card may as well be thrown away.

How do I find the PUK number?

The PUC code or PUK key is found on the SIM certificate, which you get when you first connect to a wireless network. Entering the PUK number will bring back the original unlocked status of your cellular phone. The PUK can also be obtained from the network service operator (ie. AT&T, Vodafone, Rogers, Movistar, T-Mobile, etc.) after following the appropriate security measures. This number is unique to the SIM card issued by your provider and has a reasonable level of security against random fraud"

Hope this helps! 🙂

Twilli
I've been around

Hello @Meowmix

I Have a Samsung Note 5 which is a replacement phone from Bell I got in March 2017. last week I moved over to Rogers but this phone was not unlocked. I purchased a Unlock code from Bell and I inserted the SIM from Rogers into the replacement phone. I got the PUK message and at the time did not attempt the default 1234 or 0000 but I entered the unlock code from Bell and I also tired Bell's PUK numbers - no luck . I even tried Rogers PUK numbers and no luck . No body seems to know how to solve my issue. I have been with out a phone for more then one week and everyone is telling me to buy a new phone when I dont want to because I spent $200 to get this one from Bell under their replacement plan.

I tired purchasing multiple SIM's from Rogers thinking that its a faulty SIM - as I recall every new Rogers SIM i purchased and tired I entered the PUK numbers from Bell and Rogers so I am thinking that these SIM's are useless now .

Do you think I should try purchasing one more new Rogers SIM and at my first attempt enter 1234 ? or 0000?

I am so desperate to get this phone unlocked as I depend on it for business and I am loosing soo many customers right now and missing many business opportunities. I hope you can assist.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Twilli

have you tried using a bell sim and then entering the PUK code? perhaps a visit to a bell store and ask them to put a bell sim in then unlock the device. Since you purchased the phone from bell, and paid bell to unlock the phone  they should be able to unlock it. 

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @Twilli

Since this is a Bell phone and you paid Bell to unlock it, they should be able to provide that for u! Contact Bell or visit a Bell store and see what they can do. I'm pretty sure they should be able to give u the Puk code.

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello @Twilli

Since this is a Bell phone and you paid Bell to unlock it, they should be able to provide that for u! Contact Bell or visit a Bell store and see what they can do. I'm pretty sure they should be able to give u the Puk code.

I literally posted that...lol

User1259
I've been here awhile
My Sim is lock I have no idea what is the pin

Hello @User1259,

Welcome to the Community Robot Happy!

I know I would be frustrated if I was locked out of my phone or SIM. What device are you currently using? Do you see Enter PIN or Enter PUK on the screen? We can complete the request for you.  Please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps. If you're not familiar with our private messaging system please visit the blog here

RogersZia

Argghh!

OK, I have a Rogers Samsung Note 5. Want to unlock it. C

Called Rogers and they told me to put my Telus SIM card in and got the message:

"SIM network pin blocked. Enter SIM network PUK."

I then called Telus and got the PUK code (code attached to the Telus SIM card/IMEI), entered it and still the same message. Telus tech support had no idea. 

When I put my Rogers SIM back in, there are no issues. SIM works and no PUK code needed. 

Called Rogers, tech support had me put Telus SIM back in and retry PUK code. Also tried Rogers unlock code. Still locked!

Nobody from Telus or Rogers can tell me what to do. Do I need some Samsung unfreeze or master code?

Thanks in advance to any and all!

razwun
I've been around

Hi i've been using an unlocked phone with Rogers sim card in it for about half a year now, then my sim lock itself (didnt know that was possible).
After the 5 or so attempts, it began asking me for a PUK code. i entered them provided by the Rogers customer service and it's asking me now for a Master Unlock Code.

That same sim card works though on another phone. Is it my sim card that or is it my phone that suddenly locked itself? please help

Hello @razwunand @jungaree,

Welcome to the Rogers Community. Smiley Wink Thank you for your posts!

Having issues with your unlocked phone is never fun. I can imagine the inconveniences this may cause you.

The PUK code is a security feature. When you first turn on your phone, it should ask you to enter a PIN code (unless deactivated).  If you put in the wrong PIN 3 times the phone will then ask you for your PUK (PIN unlock) code. You must call Customer Care to get your PUK code to unlock your phone.

The normal resolution is for us to provide you with the PIN or PUK code. You have 10 attempts to successfully enter the PUK code and unlock the SIM. If you’re unsuccessful after 10 attempts, the SIM card will be disabled and you will need to purchase a new one.

If you followed these steps to no resolution, we might have to look into this matter further in order to escalate it to the appropriate department.

Could you please send a Private Message @CommunityHelps when you're back online and available?

You can find instructions on our private messaging system, here.

Thanks!

RogersMaude 

PUK
I've been around
Locked SIM

PUK My SIM card in my galaxy A5 is blocked so I need the PUK number to unlock it.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PUK wrote:
Locked SIM

PUK My SIM card in my galaxy A5 is blocked so I need the PUK number to unlock it.

Very Easy, just call customer service for Rogers and ask them what is your PUK (pronounced Puke) code and they will give it to you.  you will then reset your sim pin and away you go

Hi I need my puk number

Topic Stats