Rogers wireless coverage in Schomberg?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers wireless coverage in Schomberg?

Hi there, just wondering if someone from Rogers (or someone else who might know) can confirm when Rogers will be providing wireless service to Schomberg, Ontario?  Schomberg is a town just north of Nobleton, about 20 minutes north of Woodbridge.  There is absolutely no wireless service/coverage there and it's a fast-growing community with lots of sub-division development.  We might be moving there soon and went to take a look at a few homes over the past weekend when we noticed that my wife's Rogers iPhone showed "no service"...we didn't regain signal until we hit Nobeleton, and even there it was 2 bars max.  In speaking to Rogers, they confirmed that Schomberg is a dead spot but couldn't tell us when there would be coverage.  I didn't expect them to have that info anyway 😉  My work device is running on your largest competitor's HSPA+ network (I won't name the provider but you can probably guess!) and I had full coverage in that same area along with all neighbouring towns around the area.  Does Rogers have any plans for coverage improvements in the Schomberg/Nobleton/King City regions?  Thanks.

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers wireless coverage in Schomberg?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out. Can you please invite your wife to reach out to us via Twitter @RogersBuzz, Facebook.com/rogers or traditional ways (Live Chat, phone) in order to look into? 

With further info, and if required, we'd be able to have our technical team look into it

Nicolas

Highlighted

Thanks but I think I'll probably just switch her to a more reliable cell provider (one that I'm using for work) when the time comes.  I don't feel like hearing the same old excuses from Rogers.  The fact is, the coverage is terrible...period.  Look at any cell tower map that's not operated by Rogers, and you'll see what I'm talking about.  Besides, Rogers has already confirmed that coverage in the area is poor.  I was just looking for some info on whether or not there are any plans to improve the network in the areas I've mentioned above, but I think switching carriers is likely the better option as there are many other locations where your competitors offer much better service.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

The last post to this question is now two years old and still no improvement in Rogers coverage in Schomberg or Tottenham.  

How hard can it be to get two or three transmitter locations in the centre of these two villages?  I have better cover in my home than in either of these two growing communities – and I live way out in the country!

Gord

Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

For the latest updates to Rogers wireless network, check out the Wireless Network Upgrade thread; we also post neighbourhoods/areas where enhancements are coming soon.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would be suprised.

Rogers first has to scout a location they want to put it.
Make sure that the land is available to be bought, etc.. (often requires having a small segment of land seperated from someone elses property).

Where they want to put it.. has to meet regulations (no a zone near aircraft, etc).

From there... they put through the application then to CHANGE the zoning there for it.

This can be a major hurdle as well... this is where PEOPLE can come and complain, etc.. as to why they dont want it.
MANY towers have been turned down (one near where i live in Georgina), due to the fact that 'no one wants it in their backyard'
(visually.. the people who think it will give them headaches, etc)

ONLY assuming all that goes through.. they then could put up a tower!
From there.. ontop of all the money spent for just above... they then have to pay to GET The data lines TO the tower site.. as well as build it, etc.  Very costly... if they dont have enough of a RoI in that area (new users, etc).. is it worth it?

HOPEFULLY as the new 700mhz specturm is rolled out across ALL of ontario.. this should help with signal issues (as long as someone has a phone which supports it)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although there is NO Rogers cell phone tower in the actual Town/Village of Schomberg, Rogers DOES have 4+ towers directly outside of the village, but close enough to provide some sort of signal.  i was in Schomberg recently, at the Schomberg Delight which is actually a chineese restaurant at the intersection of highway 9 and 27, i did notice a big huge bellus tower there, but i dont have a bell phone, but my rogers/fido phone did get atleast one bar in most areas around there.  maybe there is some dead zones, but im sure rodgers is working on fillin in the holes. it just takes some time like gdkitty said

Highlighted

Thanks Margaret. While I appreciate that Rogers is finally sharing info on planned network upgrades (it really is a great thing), Schomberg isn't listed. I guess there aren't any immediate plans for the area.

@everyone else in the area - you'll be pleasantly surprised if switching to "the other big guys". They have done a tremendous job building their network in recent years. There isn't a single place I've been where I didn't have coverage. In fact, my non-Rogers device has never dropped below 3/5 bars, and most of the time it's 5/5. I'm all over the GTA and surrounding areas including many underground locations (basements, etc). The difference between Rogers and their largest competitor is pretty significant. I'm very happy 🙂
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It all varries with where you are.   You need to go with who is best for you, for where you are, travel, etc.

My sister in law, switched from rogers to Bell, just for that.. she lives in Schomberg too.

BUT.. she has WORSE coverage that i do with rogers, when she visits me, up in Georgina.

Glad you got something that works now though.

Highlighted

But does your sis-in-law have no coverage at all when she visits you? No doubt that every carrier has problems and coverage isn't perfect everywhere. However, there are far more (and far too many) areas with virtually no coverage at all (or poor edge coverage) with Rogers. From personal experience and being all over the GTA, I find Bell coverage significantly superior.