cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Wireless on Lakeshore West Go Line

phantomfire78
I've been here awhile

Not sure if anybody else has this issue, but I am consistently getting stalled streaming / poor call quality on the Lakeshore West line between Toronto and Mississauga. Restarting the devices does not help and using an iPhone 14 Pro Max. My co-workers using Telus and Bell have no issues, but those with Rogers have similar problems. Surely Rogers knows about this if others have the issue and would fix this right?

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Wireless on Lakeshore West Go Line

Good morning @phantomfire78!

There definitely shouldn't be any coverage issues along that line. I personally checked and we have towers spaced all along the corridor so that you're never any further than 1KM from the nearest tower and typically, you're in range of several towers at all times.

We can escalate a ticket but we'll need to gather some information from you such as the specific points at which you experience degraded service.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RogersMoin

Hello, @phantomfire78.

Welcome to our Community, and thank you for your post!

Undoubtedly dropped calls/poor call quality, or stalled streaming in a moving train can be painful and inconvenient. Mobile signals don't work well with metal; on a train, you're always in and out of range of antennas. As quickly as your phone is within a cell tower's range, it moves beyond it and necessitates reconnection with a different tower. This hopping will cause poor call quality and streaming issues. 

You may want to try Ignite TV's Download & Go feature and similar options other streaming apps offer for uninterrupted streaming. 

In the MyRogers app, under the Support tab, you can access the Network Aid tool to check the status of the Network and Report an issue. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

phantomfire78
I've been here awhile

If I am reading this correctly, only Rogers has issues with signals around metal and you admit to having coverage issues with placement of antennas. Your recommendation is to live with it.

I guess I will be switching to a carrier with better coverage because this is important to me and the other 2 providers don't have this issue. 

phantomfire78
I've been here awhile

Just did a speed test (outside a train) in an affected area  and my speed was 4.7Mbps down and 6.7Mbps. My phone was showing 5G+

Good morning @phantomfire78!

There definitely shouldn't be any coverage issues along that line. I personally checked and we have towers spaced all along the corridor so that you're never any further than 1KM from the nearest tower and typically, you're in range of several towers at all times.

We can escalate a ticket but we'll need to gather some information from you such as the specific points at which you experience degraded service.

Feel free to send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can assist you further. For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, you can find out more here.  

Regards,

RogersCorey

CameronBennett
I've been around

Why does my data constantly drop on the GO Train?

Drives me nuts. I can see a tower literally 100 meters away but nothing loads on my phone. Cellular data can't keep up with the speed of a train???

This has been plaguing me for years. Using rogers along the LW GO line is a frustrating pain. Downloads take forever, calls dropped, and the ping is basically infinite. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one.

I did a speed test today on the train and after multiple coverage drops, I finally got internet connection and it read 0.5 mbps down but like 15 mbps up. It makes no sense. The network engineers must know and aren’t doing anything about it since it’s been an issue for years despite swapping phones.

I've been experiencing issues with the Rogers 5G network around my area. Download speeds are under 6mbps down and 0.06mbps up.  Long Story short, based on the info I gathered it appears Rogers expansion of 5G was done on the cheap by converting high-band 4G LTE towers into low-band 5G towers. This is the cheapest way to roll out 5G network, and while the conversion allows the signal to reach further it provides cellular data speeds less than 4G LTE.  

The biggest issue here is that while the CRTC defines the minimum speed for home broadband (50mbps), they do not currently have similar definitions for minimum speeds to be considered 5G. This allows operators such as Rogers to market and sell 5G in my area with download speeds under 6mbps, all while Telus has 5G download speeds of over 300mbps in the same area. 

I will create a separate post containing much of the above to see how many other people have similar issues in their area. 

I just want to let everyone know this is still a big issue. I left rogers for freedom because rogers was overcharging me. While on freedom I had zero issues with the lakeshore west line. Rogers won me over by matching my freedom contract. I really regret coming back because the service on lakeshore west is horrible. I've been waiting for pages to reload constantly. It happens only during rush hour. Clearly there is not enough bandwidth on the rogers network on this train line. It's sad that this post is coming up on a year old and there has been no progress. I might be headed back to freedom!
Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 in conversation