Rogers LTE coverage map is wrong in Stittsville

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers LTE coverage map is wrong in Stittsville

Spent a couple of weeks dealing with Rogers as to why I wasn't getting LTE coverage in Stttsville as shown on their map.

After going back and forth with tech support, they finally admitted the map was wrong and that they'd fix the map, even though I signed up for two years based on promised coverage, they said Stittsville would get upgrades in late 2014 or 2015.

Weeks later, the map is still wrong. I certainly hope Rogers doesn't plan their upgrades based on the coverage map they show to us.

Let this be a lesson to others. Before signing a contract, check the area with a real phone before signing.

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers LTE coverage map is wrong in Stittsville

I think it might be unfair to make conclusions from that experience... as far as I'm aware even if there's an LTE tower installed which does cover your area you still might not be getting LTE signal.. possible reasons include: your device, physical obstacles, and how busy the network is... example, I live in Toronto downtown Smiley Happy I hope no one doubts LTE coverage there - do I get LTE reception all the time? no... it switches back and forth between various technologies - that's the nature of wireless service regardless of who's providing it
I've Been Here Awhile

Valid point, if this was just soley about a data connection. 

If you disable your data connection, the default cellular network which carries voice and text is still active.

My challenge and issue to this point is these basic networks, are very weak, despite the fact that this is not a saturated area.

I think, to counter your point, being in a less urban area and having this occur is something we can't just chalk up to environment variables. Something that is easier to justify when they are more contention occuring on the network and not in a less than rural, clear path area (Can see a cell tower about a few hundred metres away).

The device issue is also nullified by the fact that my fiance has the exact same device (Nexus 5), on a different network and has a consistent connection.  The devices are a constant with the variable being the network. This makes it t a bit easier to draw conclusions regardinng where the issue may lie.

This seems to be more of an oversight than anything else.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A lot is about even tower layout.
Most of the time, company a and b use different towers and are not on the same.

One areas coverage may have a dead zone in a spot due to its tower layout, vs the other might not as it's towers are in a better location to cover that dead zone, doesn't have the obstacles (buildings, hills, etc in the way)

I have an area on the way home, no matter tha carrier, it's a dead zone, but it's all geographical, hill up, then into a valley.

I'm a Regular

Gdkitty, agreed. Tower location is definitely a big factor. Having said that, I've noticed a very interesting thing in several locations around the GTA and surrounding areas, particularly Vaughan, Nobleton, etc. I suspect other areas are similar. Excluding LTE and focusing just on HSPA, I've found many areas where a competitor's (e.g. Bell/Telus) tower is farther away than a Rogers tower (sometimes significantly farther), yet the competitor's signal is much stronger (and much more stable) than Rogers. These towers (Rogers' and competitor's) have both 1900 and 850 MHz HSPA. I can only assume that the Rogers cell sites are much smaller (i.e. lower transmit power) for some strange reason OR Rogers phones prefer the 1900 band where the signal doesn't travel as far or penetrate as well.
I Plan to Stick Around

I too have been mislead. I purchased the latest Rocket hub for the sole reason of connecting to  LTE.

In researching availability at my location I made  several calls to various Rogers outlets, tech support and online chats with reperesentatives. Each time I was told I would be able to get signal at my lcation in southwestern Ontario along the 401 corridor.

I went to my nearby Rogers outlet and purchased the new hub. When I brought it home and plugged it in I was amazed at the speeds 30 to 45mbps speed test. I also detected all our devices were also working better. That was friday. I continued to do speed tests through out the weekend and on Monday decided I wanted to keep the unit. I called bell and cancelled my contract 2 months ahead of time with a small fee. I now had internet at a decent speed. By wednesday my speeds dropped to 7 to 12 mbps and the calls to Rogers support began.

I have found out since then that I am not able to receive LTE on a continuous basis. I need to be within 3 kilometers of the tower. I am 5km and the signal comes in and out but maintains at 4G. No one at rogers told me I would not be able to get the LTE. All said I would be fine.

Am I angry? You bet. I also feel deceived. I have only just paid my first bill. The coverage map rogers uses is false and their advertising is misleading. Worse yet all their representatives use this map to determine availability. So now Im stuck. There are no other alternatives for internet in my  rural area of ontatio. I paid a fee to bell for early cancellation to join rogers which has turned out to be the same as bell.

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @zbign1

Thank you for your patience, I can definitely understand the inconveniences of your situation. I can see your dilemma in regards to cancelling your Internet service with Bell, then having your new Rogers mobile Internet service go from satisfactory to totally unacceptable. So far I would suggest swapping the SIM card and factory resetting the new Rocket hub.

• What's the model number of the Rocket hub?
• What has changed since the Friday when you were getting the 30 to 45mbps speeds?

• Has it been confirmed as always working on LTE since the first Friday to the Wednesday?

You mentioned you're not receiving LTE on a continuous basis, how often do you receive LTE? 

• Have you tried the hub in different locations, both inside and / or outside of the home location?

If you're still experiencing issues after trying the suggestions above, please send a private message to our @CommunityHelps and we'll troubleshooting your issue further. 

We would be more than happy to help.

RogersArthur

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply. The unit is the latest and brand new out of the box with a new sim card zte mf275r. I am well versed on how the units work having had the 3g errikson unit through rogers and  2 netgear units from bell. I have had mobile internet at my home for aprox 5 years. Now to answer your questions nothing has changed. After purchasing the unit I put it in  the same place I had my bell unit. When I plugged it in I got great speeds 4 days later not so great. I have been able to pick up the LTE signal but I have to do the reset you mentioned. I then get LTE for about 12 hours before it connects back to the 4g network. I might add when connected to  LTE the signal strenghth indicator on the unit is yellow. I have tried the unit all over my house with the same results. Because Of the battery back up I was able to take the unit for a ride where I did connect to the LTE network. Numerous calls to support has come to the conclusion that I am too far away from the tower to have a stable LTE connection. I have 3 rogers towers in my immediate area the closect being 5 kilometers .( I am told 3 kilometers is optimal). It transmits at both the 850 and the 1900 mhz frequencies.  My beef is that through all my research and after chatting on line and various phone calls I was assured each time that I would be on the LTE network. I have been mislead. Your LTE network does not cover all of ontario and  your representatives are using an inaccurate map to say it is. I bet if I called any reperesentative right now I would be told I can connect.

I had been having trouble with bell for some time. I did not make the decision to come to rogers overnight. Now I have paid a cancellation fee and I am stuck with the inferior  netgear unit just to have the same service I just left. As well I don't feel tech service responds in a timely manner. Each time an email is sent to me but I end up having to call.

I will continue to post my disatisfaction on this community web site and other blogs until this issue is resolved. I am angry and frustrated about being mislead. I am a brand new customer and already I have wasted too much time on this issue.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @zbign1,

I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have the MF275R Rocket Hub only work for about 12 hours before connecting back to the 4G network.

Seeing how the LTE stays connected that long with a weak (yellow LED) signal, I would suggest swapping the SIM card for a new one before troubleshooting any further. I would also suggest testing the LTE signal strength just outside the home, this time across the street (if possible). This should tell if it's something structural causing the issue. I understand you were told after numerous calls we offer LTE in your location and during the first stages of troubleshooting found the tower is 5 kilometers (3 kilometers being optimal). We're always working to deliver the best wireless networks and enhanced voice services to our customers. We will keep an eye out for you, for any wireless network enhancements and will update the Community accordingly.

Your patience is greatly appreciated,
RogersArthur

I Plan to Stick Around

Well im not impressed with this service so far. Its been over a month now since my last inquiry and issue of a sevice ticket. Here's a cut and paste from the email sent to me.The issue is not my service. It  works. The  issue is that I was lied to when purchasing this service. I cannot get LTE service from my location and I was told I could. I fully intend on pursuing this with the CRTC or any other body governing this service. I am a victim of false advertising and I am no longer going to sugar coat the terminology I use when describing this to others.

Hello.

This is a message from Rogers about your ticket number xxxxxxxxxxx.

You contacted us on 03/14/2016 about an issue with your Rogers Wireless service.

We apologize for the delay and thank you for your continued patience as our technical teams work on a resolution.

We will keep you informed on the ticket status and will contact you as soon as an update is available.

Thank you for choosing Rogers.

As of today there has been no responce or resolution of my issue