I'm about to purchase an unlocked AT&T phone with the following frequency band:

• 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
  • 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
  • 4G Network LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 2100

I read that Rogers network band are:

• 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
  • 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
  • 4G Network LTE 1700 / 2100 / 2600

Will my unlocked AT&T phone have 3G and 4G on Rogers' network?

Thanks

***edited labels***

341 REPLIES 341

Re: Rogers Frequencies

Hello @kooleeoh

I agree with @b-ry. It looks good. It will work, just make sure the APN settings are correctly set (if the phone doesn't auto-load it from the Rogers sim card (some phones do, my brother's One Plus One did)

However, there is always a disclaimer stating, that Grey-Market devices (a device that isn't provided by the carrier, in this case Rogers) are not guaranteed to work.

So if it doesn't work. It isn't supported.

However, I haven't seen any Roger's user who uses One Plus X having any issues.

Just remember APN settings are correct (which are discussed here in the community numerous times, and also available on the support section of Rogers.com

Cheers!

Thanks

Seems to be working.  There is an H at the top right corner.  Sometimes it switches to 3G, but eventually goe back to H.  What does that mean?

Do i need to make additional changes.  APN settings where mentioned.  Where can i find that thread

Thanks

K

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor

@kooleeoh

It sounds like your APN settings are good if you are getting 3G and 4G signal!

I cannot speak for the OnePlus X, but with my unlocked Lumia 1020, a "H" instead of "3G" means it is running on the HSPA+ network. Some phones call this 4G, others HSPA+ -- my Lumia 1020 displays as H+, my older Lumia 920 showed as 4G -- The when you see an "LTE" it means you are on LTE.

As for APN settings, the following link is where you will find them -- http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/31936

Hope that helps, any other questions feel free to ask.

Beautiful! Everything is working good!

No need to tweak APN. 😄

@b-ry got your back on this @kooleeoh. hehe

Hi guys,

Knowing the general frequencies is like knowing the highway buy not what lane to be in. That is where the bandwidth or band numbers come in. The band numbers designate the exact frequency of the technology being used. Telus, Bell, and Rogers all use the 1900 frequency but in different areas with in 1900 & 2000 mhz. 

Rogers is expanding their network to have full coverage in Western Canada with the frequencies of UMTS 850, UMTS 1900, LTE 700, LTE 2100, LTE 2600. GSM coverage is still the old stand by. Some time in the future there will be a new L1900 that will be voice over IP along with data.

Pacificrigger.

Hello,

I am looking at buying an unlocked phone from China or Hong Kong as the variety and prices are way better. However, I'm not sure if the said phone will work with Rogers Network. I found configurations of the phone I'm interested in which is as following:

Network type: GSM+WCDMA+FDD-LTE
2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz
4G: FDD-LTE 800/1800/2100/2600MHz

Can anyone confirm that this phone will work with Rogers?

Thank you,

Alexandra

Hey @Alexandra0502. Welcome to the Community!

As @RogersGabrielle stated, You can find the answers here: Will my unlocked mobile device work with the Rogers network?

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,

RogersShakir

Hi Alexandra,

This depends where in the Rogers network you will be using it.  

In the West, BC & AB, the operating Rogers network is on 700LTE, 850WCDMA, 1900WCDMA, 2100LTE, 2600LTE. This upgrade of 700LTE is still in progress but most of the city areas have some pterry good service. 

FYI - WCDMA is also known as UMTS here. In the coming future there will also be a new 1900LTE service by Rogers.

Pacificrigger

Quel sont les fréquences LTE pour Rogers dans la région de kamouraska, Québec et La Malbaie Québec

Merci

Please specified Rogers LTE frequency and Band for the kamouraska, Québec and La Malbaie, Québec areas

Thanks

Tany

kco
I plan to stick around

Looking at the Rogers coverage map, it appears LTE might be spotty in the areas.  Here is a link to the Rogers coverage page:

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/network-coverage

Also, you can find cell towers and frequencies in the area here:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Zoom in on your area and look for the Rogers towers which are indicated in red.  Click on a tower and you can see the frequencies and antenna directions.  I am not sure how accurate the cell tower location map is, but it will give an idea.

Hopefully, someone from Rogers will respond here and can give more information.

RogersHassam
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @kco,

Thanks for sharing! The coverage map link you provided is certainly what we would refer to as well. 

RogersHassam 

Technology GSM / HSPA / EVDO / LTE GSM / HSPA

2G bands GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2 - SCL-TL00H GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2 - SCL-CL00, SCL-AL00

3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100 - SCL-AL00 HSDPA 900 / 2100 TD-SCDMA - SCL-TL00H CDMA2000 1xEV-DO - SCL-CL00, SCL-AL00

4G Network LTE band 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300) - SCL-TL00H LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 41(2500) - SCL-CL00 LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500) - SCL-AL00

Would a phone with these specs work on the Rogers Network?

Hi, I'm returning from Japan and will be bring with me my unlocked phone. I'm just wondering if it'll work with Rogers at all.

The phone's bands are:
2G(GSM):850/900/1800/1900MHz

3G(WCDMA):2100MHz(Band1) / 800MHz(Band6/19) / 900MHz(Band8)

4G(FDD LTE): 2100MHz(Band1) / 1800MHz(Band3) / 2600MHz(Band7) / 900MHz(Band8) / 800MHz(Band19)

Thanks in advance.

Hi @Jamesyy23,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums!Smiley Happy

So far the GSM frequencies for your unlocked device from Japan looks compatible. Our Rogers network uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz, the LTE technology works on 2100/2600 MHz AWS. For more information you can check our support page on Will my unlocked mobile device work with the Rogers network?

Please keep in mind, we cannot guarantee the functionality of an unlocked device on our network.

Hope this helps
RogersArthur

This week LTE upgrades are being done in Langley and Abbotsford. Next week begins a month long upgrade of LTE & UMTS in the Greater Victoria areas.

Pacificrigger

NETWORK Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE 2G bands GSM 850/ 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2 3G bands WCDMA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 TD-SCDMA 1900 / 2000MHz (B34/B39) 4G bands TD-LTE B38 / B39 / B40 / B41(2555-2655MHz) FDD-LTE B1 / B3 / B5 / B7 / B8 Do you know if "Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 from Hong Kong" can work on rogers Wireless network? Thanks

RogersArthur
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Y133,

Thank you for your patience and Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

If you're still looking for the frequency information our LTE is on 2100/2600 MHz AWS, we also offer 700Mhz in select locations. Looks like your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 from Hong Kong may need to use our GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz, click here for more information.

Keep in mind, we cannot guarantee the functionality of an unlocked device on our network.

Hope this helps
RogersArthur

GenetiCode
I've been here awhile

Hello

I am looking to buy a Huawei E5786s-32a to use as a WiFi hotspot. I can't find any info to show if it is compatible with the Rogers LTE (although the device supoports LTE 2600). I was wondering if anyone has successfully used this product on the Rogers LTE. 

Any other suggestions for a good WiFi Hotspot on the Rogers network is also appreciated; other than the ZTE models.

thanks, Michael

Hi @GenetiCode,

Welcome to the Community!

We do provide 2600MHz LTE spectrum in Canada, however since we don't support third party hardware, we cannot guarantee full functionality.

Anyone else in the Community have any suggestions?

RogersPrasana

kco
I plan to stick around

Regardless of the frequencies you may run into Rogers administrative issues adding a non-Rogers device to a hub plan.  Messages #11 and #14 in this thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/MobileInternet/thread-id/2697

describe issues I had using a non-Rogers Huawei B890-66 hub.

I first had to contact Rogers through their Share A Concern facility because regular sales, 1st-level support, and 2nd-level (billing) support could not get their system to accept my hub's IMEI.  I needed a non-Rogers hub because at the time, the existing Rogers ZTE MF271 hub did not accept an external antenna, which I need because I am 30 km from the cell tower.  I think that is the reason they agreed to my using a non-Rogers hub.

Rogers 2nd and 3rd level support were very helpful in getting my Huawei router working, but it was a long process.  We first tested it to confirm it would connect with a Rogers SIM. But I still did not have an account so could not pass data.  The Rogers accounting/admin system would not accept my Huawei's IMEI.  They worked around this by using and IMEI from on off their hubs used by their internal support group.  Once I had an approved account everything worked fine.  So, if you have an approved hub account, and the frequencies are OK, it MAY work if you use the SIM from the approved account (it likely MUST be a SIM from a hub account).  You should make sure Rogers system will accept the IMEI for the plan you want to use it with.

Next, you need to worry about frequencies.  I don't know much about that, but I notice 850 MHz is missing which is needed for 3G service.  Also 1900 Mhz is missing and 700 MHz which Rogers will likely use more in the future.  Hopefully, someone with better knowledge than I (that's not saying a lot 🙂 ) can give you more advice about the frequencies.

Thirdly, the support issue RogersPrasana mentioned can be a problem.  Although my installation worked great I ran into a problem last December.  My non-Rogers hub was likely one of the reasons I failed to get requested 2nd-level callbacks for my first four calls (although I was assured someone would call).  Out of desparation I purchased a Rogers ZTE MF275R (which DOES accept an external antenna).  I finally got help from 2nd-level.  We determined a Rogers out-of-spec receive signal was the cause of my sporadic service.  The problem did not manifest for most users because they are not connecting from 30 km.

The 2nd-level support person also helped me improve my reliability and performance by recommending I add a 2nd antenna (in addition to the one I was using) to take full advantage of the LTE service (the details of that are in another thread).

Unless their is a real need, I recommend you stick with a Rogers approved hub.  Rogers were great to work with, but it took a lot of effort on both sides to get my non-Rogers hub on.  And then when I experienced problems it was hard to get support, and I accepted that because that was the agreement when they let me use it originally.

In the end, I wrote an email to Rogers explaining my frustration in being promised callbacks only to not have those promises fulfilled, but I was happy when I finally did get help but we had wasted time for Rogers and me.  To my surprise, Rogers gave me a very nice credit(I did not ask for it) for my trouble and for buying a hub to replace my non-standard hub which was working fine.  

So, my recommendation is to stick with a Rogers hub unless there is a reason it will not work.

GenetiCode
I've been here awhile

Hi kco

Thanks for that exhaustive explanation of your process to get your device to work. I definitely do not have much time to waste….I will most probably go with the ZTE device.

Thanks again, Michael