I'm about to purchase an unlocked AT&T phone with the following frequency band:

• 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
  • 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
  • 4G Network LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 2100

I read that Rogers network band are:

• 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
  • 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
  • 4G Network LTE 1700 / 2100 / 2600

Will my unlocked AT&T phone have 3G and 4G on Rogers' network?

Thanks

***edited labels***

341 REPLIES 341

Re: Rogers Frequencies

Good evening @boo1994 ,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums!

I have verified the frequencies used by the device you mentioned above (HTC M8 from Wind Mobile)

and they are : GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz.

Based on the information previously provided, the preferred spectrum for wireless is 850 MHz but we also have 1900 MHz spectrum nationally.

The device you wish to use should be functional on the Rogers network. However, you might not have access to our LTE network and we cannot guarantee the functionality/compatibility of your non-Rogers device.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Hi,

I work for an inbuilding wireless design group in the US. I have a client (US) that has a resort about 2 miles from White Rock, BC. The people staying at the resort are having handoff (Roaming) issues between US carries and Rodgers Comm. The one whitout international roaming are paying intl. roaming fees.

My goal is to dominate the Rodgers coverage entering the resort facility  but I need to know what Bands and Freq. are beeing used by Rodgers.

Please help.

Rogers Frequencies

kaiju11
I've been here awhile

Hi,

My husband got two new iphones 4 while he was in China. He was told however that the iphones are 'CDMA' and won't work here in Canada with Rogers.  Is it true?

How can we unlock and use the iphones?

Thanks for the reply.

Good evening @kaiju11 ,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Forums!

I wanted to shed some light on the two types of devices used by carriers, which are the Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM). Both technologies transmit voice and data, however they do so in different ways. This being said, you most likely will not have the ability to take a CDMA phone and use it on a GSM network or vice versa. 

I haven't heard of a way for you to change this. Unfortunately, if there is one we will not be able to assist you with this. If you try putting in a SIM card from a GSM carrier into a CDMA iPhone 4, you'll most likely get an error message. Even if you successfully get the phone unlocked, there are chances that some of the services may not function properly. For example, you might not be able to connect to our LTE network or send and receive text messages.

I understand how frustrating this must be. Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

kaiju11
I've been here awhile

HI Maude,

Thank you very much, it is indeed frustrating to have a new phone and not being able to use it!

Re : Rogers Frequencies

Shopper37
I've been here awhile

I want to purchase N Unlocked Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 SCH-I545 16GB Black Mist Clean ESN. I am in london ont canada and I have a rogers plan. I have an lg7 right now. Will this new phone be usable with my SIM card or can I get a new one?

***Edited Labels***

Re : Rogers Frequencies

Good afternoon @Shopper37 ,

Welcome to the Forums and Thank you for your post! 

We understand the convenience of purchasing unlocked devices.

However, we cannot guarantee the compatibility of your non-Rogers device on our network. I also need to make you aware that you might not get access to our LTE network, for example.

From the information I gathered, the frequencies used by the device you indicated above (Samsung Galaxy S4 from Verizon) are : GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Based on the information previously provided on this thread, the current spectrum for wireless is 850 MHz and we have the 1900 MHz spectrum as well. The unlocked device you want to use, with your Rogers line, should be functional on our network, but might be subject to some limitations. 

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Re: Re : Rogers Frequencies

Shopper37
I've been here awhile
Thanks for the help. Darlene

Dvdlin
I've been around

lose my phone going to buy a cheap one oversea
 just wonder if i can use both 3g and 4g lte on rogers network
please help thanks !! 

Phone Network Support:

• 2G/2.5G - GSM/GPRS/EDGE
  • 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
  • 3G UMTS
  • 850/900/1900/2100 MHz
  • 3G TD-SCDMA
  • 1900/2000 MHz
  • 4G LTE
  • FDD:Bands 1、3、5、7、8、28
  • TDD:Bands 38、39、40、41

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Dvdlin 

Oh no, Sorry to hear about your phoneSmiley Sad

850 MHz & 1900 MHz spectrum is what we use for 3G. We also use 2,600/1,700MHz for LTE and have started rolling out 700MHz in select locationsSmiley Happy

Your information doesn't state the LTE frequencies, but 3G should work.

Keep in mind, we cannot guarantee the functionality of an unlocked device.

Hope this helpsSmiley Happy

RogersAsif

Re: Rogers Frequencie​s

Johnpi21
I've been here awhile

A phone with LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 17(700)  NA

other,

LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300) 41(2500) Global

Question, will both phone work with Roger's LTE network?  Which one is best?

I spent most of my time in Canada.  I travel to Portugal and other European cities and to Panama in Central America. 

Hi @Johnpi21,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Our LTE is on 2100/2600 MHz AWS, We also offer 700Mhz in select locations. So far the specs for either one of the devices you've listed looks compatible. As far as unlocked devices working on our network, we also use GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz, click here for more information.

Keep in mind, we cannot guarantee the functionality of an unlocked device on our network.

Hope this helps
RogersArthur

Johnpi21
I've been here awhile
Thank you. You mention 700 frequency, is that very common, if so then the NA specs look better, no? I looked up Vodafone Portugal and it says LTE 800/1800/2600 and Claro in Panama says HSPA +, which makes the Global model a better phone? Any further thoughts? Most importantly I want it to here with my Rogers account.
One further question, when Roger,s mention frequencies say 700/1700/2100 do you need all 3 frequencies or just one.for LTE to Work? I gather the band number also has to match, what are the band number for Rogers? Thanks for your time....John.

@Johnpi21

The 700Mhz spectrum is quite new in regards to Cellular Communications. It was previously used as a television spectrum, but is now being used for cellular communications. It has the ability to penetrate through thick objects which will allow us to provide even better coverage/connection for our customers.

You wouldn't need all 3 but its recommended, as the frequencies can vary depending on location(the more the device supports, the better). Unfortunately the band numbers are not something we can go by, but if the device can run on the frequencies you shouldn't have issues.

In regards to which one is better, it will all depend on personal preference and the frequencies being used in the places you travel too.

RogersAsif

Can I use this phone with my Rogers account?

• Unlocked quad-band GSM cell phone compatible with 850/900/1800/1900 frequencies and US/International 3G compatibility via 850/900/1700/1900/2100 UMTS/HSDPA plus GPRS/EDGE capabilities
  • 3G-enabled messaging phone in black with 2.46-inch touchscreen and physical QWERTY keyboard; access to personal and corporate e-mai

@BriMar

Welcome to the community! 

I hope we are able to help you find the information that you are looking for. Smiley Wink

Have a look at this link.

It will provide you information on mobile devices and the Rogers network.

Cheers,

RogersAliciaG

kjkinto
I've been around

For all of you who (like me) need to buy an unlocked offshore phone and want to use it on Rogers (or anywhere else in the world) please use the following link.

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

I will be buying a Galaxy Note 5 Dual Sim from Taiwan. I need dual sim because I spend only 1 week a month in Canada and Rogers' European roaming rates are prohibitive.

Hope it helps

roscoe108
I've been here awhile

I'm wondering if a Samsung S6 Edge (originally from Wind) will be able to fully work on the Rogers 4G LTE if I get the S6 unlocked? I've heard varying reports on this, some say yes, some say no, some say "depends." Just looking for some clarity before pulling the trigger on anything.

Yes, I am currently a Rogers customer with a Rogers SIM card. Thanks in advance for any help.

Details below:

Wind Galaxy S6
Frequencies / Bands
2G GSM 850/900/1800/1900
3G 850/1700/1900/2100

Rogers Galaxy S6
GSM/EDGE Bands:
850/900/1800/1900MHz
HSPA+/HSPA Bands:
850/AWS/1900/2100MHz
LTE Bands:
Band 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17

Wind Doesn't have LTE marketed. So they don't provdie LTE specs, their phone 'may' connect to LTE with the correct APN settings.

This is probably why you are getting mixed responses.
The Devices don't compare in details and tech specs (Information retreived from Rogers and Wind's respective websites.

Galaxy S6 however does run on LTE without a doubt ~ If you can find Wind Mobile Galaxy S6 specs for LTE and match it with the LTE band by rogers, then you'll have a clear answer.

roscoe108
I've been here awhile

Hey ShakTib.

Yes, that's what I had heard: basically that the S6 will work on LTE but that Wind doesn't bother advertising that fact since Wind is not an LTE network to begin with.

So are you essentially saying that:

a) I will have to first confirm the S6 Edge I want to buy is the SM-G925W8 model?
b) If it is the model above, I will have to both unlock it and change the APN settings?

Thanks

It doesn't have to be THAT model. The thing you have to keep an eye on, is if it supports the LTE Bands to get LTE service. Simple.
Match it and it will work.
APN is the software side telling what servers to connect to. You only set up APN settings if the phone is unlocked and was originally another carrier.
(If it is locked to Rogers, it already has the Rogers' APN to begin with).

Hope that make sense...
If WIND doesn't advertise it, you can always check the phone model and find out it's specs online. It isn't going to be that hard. All Phone Model Variation have slight band differences, based on region and carrier network. So you just need to be aware of what you are getting. That's all.