Roam Like Home in USA with Unlocked Moto g(7) Play

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Roam Like Home in USA with Unlocked Moto g(7) Play

I have a (Rogers) iPhone 5 that I have used in the USA with Roam Like Home and it has always worked flawlessly for years. Just turn on Data Roaming when/as required.

I purchased an unlocked Moto g(7) Play handset from Costco.ca and moved my SIM from the iPhone 5. The handset works perfectly in Canada on LTE (no WiFi calling support) but I was not able to get a data connection in the USA with Data Roaming on. 

My iPhone 5 has always roamed perfectly with Data Roaming on. I chatted with Rogers Technical Support and there is nothing on my account to prevent Roam Like Home and no APN changes or anything should be necessary. Other than that no idea really. Could the issue be unlocked handset(s) in general, SIM card, IEMI related. All of which would be at the Rogers end?

Regards,

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Roam Like Home in USA with Unlocked Moto g(7) Play

Solved !!!

I contacted Rogers to add the IMEI of my non-Rogers device to my account. I could then see the device change on my profile. The next day I was in the USA for a short while and no data at first but then full LTE+ was available on AT&T. I can only conclude that it is wise if not essential to have the IMEI of your non-Rogers device added to your account if you want to use Roam Like Home.

Many thanks to RogersZia and RogersCorey for your direction. Very much appreciate the promptness and expertise of these forum moderators.

Regards,

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Hello and welcome to the Community @Diverge,

Roam Like Home is definitely a convenient feature while travelling. Thank you for sharing the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far.

May I know if you were able to connect to a foreign network or did you get no service at all? Is it just the data that's not working or were you not able to make calls either? Did you try to manually connect to an available carrier? Do you know if tech support added the IMEI# for your new phone in your account? 

Anyone else in the Community ever have issues using Roam Like Home with a non-Rogers device?

RogersZia

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Many thanks for your reply/help.

I connected automatically to AT&T wile roaming in the USA but no data connection.  I did try and connect manually to AT&T a couple of time with the same result, no data connection. I guess I could have tried T-Mobile manually but did not. The Rogers Tech Support I spoke with did not ask/add the IMEI of my moto g(7) play handset - is this a requirement for non-Rogers devices? Also, my Rogers profile shows my current handset as iPhone 5 which I still want to use until I get a new one.

Regards,

Highlighted

Good afternoon @Diverge!

It is not a requirement but it has been known to resolve various issues with third-party devices. If we haven't tried it yet, then I would highly recommend that we do so.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps so I can further assist. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Solved !!!

I contacted Rogers to add the IMEI of my non-Rogers device to my account. I could then see the device change on my profile. The next day I was in the USA for a short while and no data at first but then full LTE+ was available on AT&T. I can only conclude that it is wise if not essential to have the IMEI of your non-Rogers device added to your account if you want to use Roam Like Home.

Many thanks to RogersZia and RogersCorey for your direction. Very much appreciate the promptness and expertise of these forum moderators.

Regards,

View solution in original post