cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roam Like Home Issues

nitingaba
I plan to stick around

Roam Like Home is having a couple of weird issues and I was wondering if anybody else had the same issues or knew of any fixes.  A person on my plan is currently in India and using the feature. She is currently experiencing a few problems. 

1. There is a lag on both sides of the conversation during phone calls. If I say hello she will hear it about 1 second later and vice-versa. This has happened to me as well when I was using the feature outside of Canada. 

2. The bigger issue is when she gets an incoming call from anywhere but India. Yesterday I called her from my 604 number and her caller id showed a completely random local India number. 

3. Not sure if there is a fix for this problem but people in India that call her number are forced to pay international rates since they are calling a Canadian number, any ideas on how this can be avoided? I had asked Rogers in the past before I went out of town and they said the local people should pay local calling rates. 

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Roam Like Home Issues

RogersMaude

Good evening @nitingaba,

Thanks for your post!

The second-long ''lag'' can sometimes occur during overseas call, I understand how frustrating it must be. Has she tried turning off and turning back on her cellphone device?

One of the purposes of Roam Like Home is that all of your Canadian contacts have the ability to reach you at no additional charges, even while you are abroad. If she has the ability to see who calls her, from India, she could let it ring, then and call them back instead. This ensures the person originally calling is not the one paying.

The issue regarding what appears on the call display would have to be investigated further. Is it always the same number that appears when she receives a phone call from outside of India? 

Let us know Smiley Wink

RogersMaude

nitingaba
I plan to stick around
I have called her 3 times today, all 3 times it has been a different number. Only once was it my actual number but the other 2 times it was completely random. She is also unable to call that number back to reach me or even answer those calls, the line automatically disconnects when she answers.

Are you by any chance using a third party calling app? Or a calling card? If not, then does this only happen when she receives a call from your number? Has she already tried to reboot the device? 

Please keep us posted.

RogersZia

Moebile
I've been here awhile

Roam like home India can't make calls

I'm in India on a business trip. Roam like home is enabled and I can use the internet and receive phone calls, BUT cannot make phone calls to numbers in Canada.

Tried all the number combinations suggested on the community site.

I specially switched to rogers a few weeks ago for this exact feature. I need this resolved please!

Thanks,
Moe

gp-se
I'm an advisor

@Moebile wrote:

Roam like home India can't make calls

I'm in India on a business trip. Roam like home is enabled and I can use the internet and receive phone calls, BUT cannot make phone calls to numbers in Canada.

Tried all the number combinations suggested on the community site.

I specially switched to rogers a few weeks ago for this exact feature. I need this resolved please!

Thanks,
Moe

@Moebile

What error message are you getting? Are you dialling +1 in front of the number?

Moebile
I've been here awhile
Thanks for your response @gp-se.

I have an iPhone. So far I've gotten two "messages" one is "call failed" in the iphone UI. The other is a recorded voice message from what I believe is the local provider, stating "you are not dialing a valid number", but I get the voice message less often.

In both instances I'm dialing the same number and do have the +1 both times.

When I tried +1 (514) 734-7699 (rogers helpline) i get the called failed iPhone ui message.

Hello @Moebile,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums.

I know how important it is being able to keep in touch with your loved ones back in Canada while you are traveling abroad. The fact that you signed up for the service with that in mind and you have been unable to is definitely problematic.

We would like to attempt to resolve this issue by modifying some of the settings on your device. To see if the phone calls to Canada will begin to work, please go into the settings of your iPhone - Select Carrier - Turn Off Automatic - Tap any available Carrier. Then, go back to the main Settings and wait for your iPhone to connect to the network.

Hope this helps!

RogersTony

Moebile
I've been here awhile
Hi @RogersTony, unfortunately this method doesn't help. The ability to make calls is inconsistant and I keep losing connection to the provider.. I'll be calling customer service once I'm back in Canada.

Hello @Moebile,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far. I know this was a feature you were specifically interested in. What iPhone model are you using? May I know which local network are you connected to? I realize that switching to a different carrier manually did not work for you. Is there a way you can test your SIM in another device? Just to identify if this is a device issue or a network one. 

Please let us know if the above option works for you.

RogersZia

Hello,

I have roam like home and I am in Niece at the moment but my cellular connection keeps dropping quite often even though I have all the strength bars lit up and the a LTE connection.  When I go to my email or safari, it says to turn on your cellular data, which is on.  I have to factory reset my networks settings and it works again but again only for a tenth of time.  Any one have any suggestions to correct this pls?  I am here for business and this is disrupting the communication between my clients.

Help pls...

Thanks,

Stan

Hello Stan @stanhum16,

Welcome to the Rogers Community, and thank you for your post!

We're sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with Roam Like Home in France.

I know the importance of staying connected, especially while spending time abroad.

In order to resolve roaming issues during international travel, please try to:

• Turn on Airplane Mode for about 30 seconds.
  • Then turn it off again and let your iPhone automatically select the best network. 

If this did not help reestablish your network connectivity, please proceed with the following:

1. Go to Settings > Carrier and turn off Automatic. Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes.
  2. Tap the carrier that you want.
  3. Go back to the main Settings screen and wait for your iPhone to connect to the network. 

Let us know if you're still experiencing issues!

RogersMaude

Hi RogersMaude,

I have tried your suggestions and 4 service providers that I can connect with and again, the cellular data drops 10-15 minutes later and I have to reset again.  I need this issue corrected.  Are there any other suggestions pls?

Thanks,

Stan

Hello @stanhum16!

If this is an iPhone, please try the following:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Now, please keep in mind that this will delete all your stored WiFi passwords. However, if there's a problem with your stored network settings that's causing this to happen, this reset should fix it.

Regards,

RogersCorey

I have tried that as well numerous times. I am now in Lisbon, Portugal and having the same issues. I have turned on airplane mode, reset network settings, tried various services providers and still losing the connection. I need a solution ASAP. Pls advise. I am paying for Roam like home and I cannot do it.

Hi @stanhum16,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far. Are you only experiencing issues accessing data? How is it making calls or messaging? Have you ever used Roam Like Home successfully on the current device? If possible, would you be able to test your SIM in another device to eliminate any devices issues? 

RogersZia

It seems to working ok for messages and calling. The main issue is the data saying there is no cellular data even though I have full bars and saying it is on LTE. This is a new iPhone 8 plus and it is the first time I have used Roam like home on this phone. I will try the sim on another phone. It won’t effect or have additional charges to the other phone will it?

Good afternoon @stanhum16,

This may seem like a silly question, but you do have the Data Roaming option turned on yes? You can find the option under Cellular >> Cellular Data Options >> Data Roaming. 

RogersZia

Yes, roaming is on.

Good afternoon @stanhum16,

Have you tried switching from LTE to 3G to see if data works? Since you've already tried all the troubleshooting steps my colleagues had offered above, I would want to review your account to see if anything on the account end maybe creating a conflict. 

Please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps so we can take a closer look into your account.  If you're not familiar with our private messaging system please visit the blog here

RogersZia

I sent a PM but have not received a message back.  This is so annoying.  It keeps dropping out and losing a cellular connection.  I need a solution ASAP.  We are travelling throughout Portugal and need a 3G/LTE connection.  Can someone from Rogers help me at all????

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 14 in conversation