ROGERS APN

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: ROGERS APN

Thanks for your reply.

Let me correct it. I just block the internet part. The agent told me to send mms don't need data plan. The block is prevent I use internet data accidentally.

After I enable the mobile data on my phone, I can't use browser to surfer web site. I should still able to send mms.

I'm Here A Lot

Dave,

I have a LTE Rocket Stick (Sierra 330) and have subscribed to a public IP, what apn should I be using??

Thanks

G

Network Architect
Network Architect

@gw1 wrote:

Dave,

I have a LTE Rocket Stick (Sierra 330) and have subscribed to a public IP, what apn should I be using??

Thanks

G

The correct APN in that case is ltepublicip.apn.

Network Architect
Network Architect

@Act662 wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Let me correct it. I just block the internet part. The agent told me to send mms don't need data plan. The block is prevent I use internet data accidentally.

After I enable the mobile data on my phone, I can't use browser to surfer web site. I should still able to send mms.

Act662, if you are still experiencing an issue, verify your private messages on this forum, I have sent you further instructions.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@davem wrote:

The tethering APN for non LTE device varies. You should be able to get it working with either rogers-core-appl1.apn, internet.com or isp.apn.

Greetings DaveM,

These APN settings appear to be imprtant for getting a client's Rogers Rocket Stick to connect. The system is loaded with Xubuntu 14.04 and we are attempting to connect with Gnome-ppp dialer.

In the modem init strings settings, we added an additional line to specify the APN setting. With the APN's you supplied, we at least connect successfully. (internet.com and isp.apn at least appear to work)

I believe this machine is not getting a correct IP address from the Rogers DHCP server. The Rogers Rocket Stick appears to be being assigned IP's in the 25. address range, and expected to communicate with remote host 10.64.64.64. I have called tech support twice now, both times mentioned that detail to the technician, and they are seeing no issue with the IP addresses. Addresses we have received have been: 25.16.14.220, 25.16.25.84

Init strings in the Gnome-ppp dialer are as follows:

Init 3: AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”internet.com”

Init 3: AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”isp.apn”

And like I said, finally finding your post, both APN strings are now accepted whereas before with incorrect APN strings the connection was being rejected.

Also note, I had a very hard time creating an account and getting logged into this forum system. There was an eror message that the Rogers website is experiencing technical difficulties. I am not confident I can get logged back in to reply to responses.

I am thankful,

Michael

Network Architect
Network Architect

Michael,

It is perfectly normal for the device to be getting an IP address in the 25.XXX.XXX.XXX range. This address will get translated on our core network before reaching the Internet.

With regards to the address 10.64.64.64, I am not sure where you saw this one but it is the default remote endpoint IP for the dialer (gnome-ppp) that you use.

The question is aside from these IPs that looked strange at first glimpse, does the service work? Can you access the Internet?

For a stick, I suggest using isp.apn for UMTS/3G sticks or lteinternet.apn for LTE sticks.

I've Been Here Awhile

Greetings Dave,

As for 25. addressing... I guess I will have to take your word for it. I cannot understand how a device could receive a 25.x address - public Internet routable - and then communicate to a 10.x address network which is not pubic Internet routable, then wind up communicating with the real Internet. (shrug)

With seeing 10.64.64.64, we saw that in the gnome-ppp dialer console view. Same place we were looking to see the 25.x address our Rocket Stick was assigned, and and and...

No we are unable to get to websites with Firefox, nor fetch email with SeaMonkey.

I got to thinking upon reading your reply, perhaps we are dealing with a DNS conflict that the machine is also connected to the mobile lug-along server which has a DNS of its own. The server acts as both a primary DNS for the office LAN and a caching server for real Internet names. Since the only Internet connection at present is the Rocket Stick, that means the server is not able to access the Internet. I have asked our client to leave the Ethernet disconnected, and see if they can use Firefox / SeaMonkey. If that is the case, that confirms we had a fight between the two DNS implementations, and I will consider how to band-aid that situation while using the Rocket Stick.

Also I will ask them to ping a website by IP address and see if the Rocket Stick is able to communicate with the Internet without relying on DNS.

I am thankful,
Michael

Network Architect
Network Architect

The first thing I would confirm is if you have a default route pointing to the PPP interface on the system. If I recall correctly, the gnome-ppp dialer will not set this up properly.

You can print the routing table with "netstat -rn".

If you try to ping a public destination (say 8.8.8.8), the system will also complain that it does not have a route to the destination if that is the isssue.

I've Been Here Awhile

Greetings Dave,

Hurray! We can successfully surf with the Rocket Stick!

Yes we have it set to:

Init 3: AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”isp.apn”

which you stated was correct for the UMTS/3G stick.

The configuration is to disconnect the LAN cable from the notebook thus the lug-able moblie office server.

There was no trouble with gnome-ppp setting correctly the default gateway.

Previously with Windows OS on the notebook we were able to twin-tail connect to both the Rocket Stick Internet and via Ethernet to the mobile server. I suspect something about using gnome-ppp is unfortunately dictating a single exclusive network connection, either Rocket Stick Internet or Ethernet LAN, just not both at the same time. I will continue seeking how we may have both network interfaces active at the same time.

With the Rocket Stick Internet connection active, then plugged the Ethernet back in, Linux is unable to successfully get an Ethernet IP address from the server. I think it 'tis very odd. However, progress none the less.

I am thankful,
Michael

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the info. Very helpful...