cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROAM LIKE HOME RING

JasonM7
I've been around

Hi,

I am currently in Europe and using Roam Like Home.  I use this predominantly for my business so I can run my business without my clients knowing I am out of the country.

Today, I had a few question why there was the "international sounding ring" on their end when they called me rather than the normal "local ring" we hear when we make a call to a Canadian or US number.  The fact that the ring is different and therefore they know I am away defeats some of the purpose of Roam like Home.

I have used Roam like Home in the past, but this has never happened before.  Please advise is this is normal and/or if there is a way around it. 

For some, this may not make a difference, but for me it does.

Thank you.

***Edited Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: ROAM LIKE HOME RING

RogersMoin

Hello, @JasonM7

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. If I correctly understood, you are referencing to the signalling tone that is heard by the originator of the call while the receiver is being alerted.

Since your phone is connected to a European tower, this tone will be in accordance to the European Telecommunications Standards and can't be changed. 

@DominicB may have a more in-depth insight on this subject. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

DominicB
I plan to stick around

Because your phone is connected to a switch that is not North American, and the farside switch (which is what you're connected to in Europe, say) is sending call progress indication back in-band to the person calling you from Canada to avoid "clipping".

Before VoIP, in ISDN Q.931, it could be done either way if it was ISDN end to end, BUT, if the local Canadian switch generates the call progress tones, when you answer and say, HELLO, he will hear LO, and the HEL will be clipped or lost because of the lag in the CONNECT message getting back to his switch out of band via SS7 saying you picked up the phone.  SS7 is a packet based network but the actual voice path is time division multiplexed in a "circuit". Nortel said screw this and it was done inband on ISDN to avoid that clipping.  There was no way around it.

Out of band signaling had to be implemented because hackers were using cereal whistles to redirect calls.
Cell phones work the same way.

Can the switches be programmed to identify the originator and give them the proper cadence.  Yes.  Did anyone want it done?  No.

DMS for example, was enhanced to provide a different kind of ringing tone back to the originator if the terminating party was on a call and receiving a call waiting tone vs. if the phone was on hook and actually ringing.

So, when I would say, why didn't you answer you jerk and he would say I wasn't here, I would say ... LIAR!!

RING AGAIN NO ANSWER was even more fun.  You dial and there's no answer.  The next time the jerk uses his phone and finishes the call, DMS would ring you and then ring him.  If he didn't answer you knew he was ignoring your call on purpose ... unless he dashed off to the bathroom.

You can't create that kind of transparency.  The Rogers MF275 confuses my Nortel phones into nervous breakdowns.  Now their IGNITE home phone and even the packet cable based one can never fake what it expects to see.

DominicB
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the nod.  Will you please tell your people to give me DISCONNECT SUPERVISION and pulse dialing support on Rogers Home Phone?  It's two lines in the config file.

IGNITE only supports one line -- holy mackerel.  All of the Home and Away features used to be controllable from the phone itself on the screen in the olden days ... VSLE/ADSI.  Man, I have run over to my computer to do it.  NEXT!

And there's no battery on IGNITE.  Come on Rogers, please.  I just ordered a Note 9 and it is costing me MEGABUCKS.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 in conversation