Poor coverage in Lanigan SK

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Poor coverage in Lanigan SK

Hi,

I have terrible coverage in the Lanigan SK area.  I am using a lg g4. I used to have a moto x and the coverage was half decent. I'd drop the odd call, but nothing like I have been experiencing with the g4.  I've tried to manually select a netowrk and no luck.  Any suggestions?

***Edited Labels*** 

Re: Poor coverage in Lanigan SK

Hi matt1991,

I'm sorry to hear you're having such difficulties with the network in your area. Are you aware of any other Rogers subscribers in this area having similar issues by chance? 

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

Not that I am aware of.  Mot people are with Sasktel and Telus. 

Do you have another phone available that you could try placing your SIM in? I just want to eliminate any chance this is an issue with the phone itself. 

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

I already tried that. They have two different Sim cards. The one in the LGG4 is bigger than the Moto X.

Is this an issue both indoors and out? According to our coverage map at www.rogers.com/coverage the service in the Lanigan SK area is advertised as best while outdoors. 

You may have some reception issues while inside in this area.

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, 

Thanks for all your replies.  I am even having reception issues outdoors. Tried it this morning.   The reception issue is only with the Rogers Network.  A lot of the local people say Rogers reception is greatly exaggerated in the area. I am able to use the extended coverage no propblem.  This has been an on going problem for quite a while.  My big problem is Rogers now says I am on the extended too much and will be limited to the Rogers network only.  So now I will have a useless phone, when I am in this area for work for about 16-17 days a month. I do not know if there is too much more you can help with.  This is something that I think I am going to have to call Rogers about (if I can) to resolve. If you have anymore suggestions they would be appreciated.

I Plan to Stick Around

The Rogers coverage maps do suggest coverage is spotty in the Lanigan area.  Rogers appears to have just one cell location where SaskTel has many more in the area.

LaniganCoverage.PNG

You can see tower locations here:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

I live in an area showing similar outdoors-only coverage. For fringe reception the map is optomistic-at least in my area. I can get marginal service on my Samsung Note 3 and it does not work for my wife's Samsung S3.  Some phones are more capable in fringe areas.  I am in a forested area with rolling hills, 30 km from the tower.

The Rogers map seems quite accurate. It seems to account for the pattern of trees as well as land contours.  For example, the area a bit north of me and further from the tower shows "good indoors" because it is less affected by trees. I can walk to other nearby "good indoors" locations and use the phone for voice.  In my house I use text messaging which is more forgiving.  I am impressed with the Rogers coverage map detail.

I have a Rogers Rocket Hub for internet. It gets reliable service, no doubt due to a better antenna than feasible in a small phone. I added an external antenna to the Rocket Hub which greatly improved the signal and doubled the speed. Boosters are available for phones but not too feasible for other than fixed locations or vehicles, and they can be expensive.

You can call Rogers and see if they plan to improve coverage. If not, you may have to go with another provider.

The free Android app, Network Signal Info, is handy for determing signal quality.