Poor cell service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sparkycivic
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Poor cell service

Rural Manitoba weak LTE/3G signal

Hi,

I travel a lot in rural Manitoba, mostly in the "Westman" area which spans from the USA border, the SK border, up to Swan River, and over to Portage La Prairie.

I've been mapping my signal strength everywhere as-I-go using "cellmapper" and have completed a very detailed study during the past 5 years of both the LTE network as well as the 3G network using various modern smartphones locked to those bands.

The result of the study shows that a great many areas have lackluster or zero coverage, and some of those places are populated communities!

My question today is this: There are certain towers which provide obviously poor signal vs others of the same height and antenna compliment... How can I report such situations without actually living in the affected area? Can I report the individual low-performing towers on this forum? Is there an email address or phone number where I can express my concerns to an engineer about individual tower performance?

I'll offer a breadcrumb to begin our journey: a glaring example that's unchanged for many years.. E-NodeB#200159 Hamiota MB, all 3 band-5 sectors, and to a lesser extent the band-4 omni. The Omni has almost equals that of the sectors, which shouldn't be possible, and indicates a pretty bad antenna/feedline performance issue.  5-7 miles max association from a 350 foot tower and -120dBm as close as 3 miles from a car dashboard are serious issues that need to be looked at!  Rogers 74045 Ninette MB is similar, and people at the nearby beach resort complain locally about no service even with the tower overlooking their area from 2 miles away.

I have many more examples of both Rogers-owned towers as well as BellMTS-owned towers in our "special" shared network with similar performance handicaps, but since I'm a rogers customer for both work and family devices, my only voice is here.  I'd be happy to provide detailed analyses data for the consideration of engineers for rectification.  Feel free to peruse my extensive mapping efforts online using the Cellmapper.net website, select Rogers, navigate the map to Manitoba, and witness the breadcrumb trails and individual tower/sector/frequency displays by clicking on towers, and then scrolling the sectors on the lefthand side.  switch between LTE/3G/GSM using the "general" menu.

I'll make another post regarding general lack of coverage/towers throughout my area later, depending on how this goes.

Best regards,

Sparkycivic

Edited: labels, and fixed the E-nodeB number for Hamiota

RogersTony

Hello, @sparkycivic

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We're disappointed to hear that you've had such a poor connection in certain areas over the years.

We have a handy tool called MyNetwork that is built into the Support section of the MyRogers app. If you are in an area with a poor signal you can report it to our network engineers directly through the app. They will be able to determine your location via GPS and investigate the poor signal for you.

You can learn about how the tool works by clicking here.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

sparkycivic
I've Been Here Awhile

I have now activated the app to monitor the signal.  I can see that it's checking intermittently, and during calls.

We shall see what happens when I go to some poor areas... and try to report the poorness. I sure hope that network connectivity won't be necessary for that process!

Battery life on both my devices has immediately taken a hit since beginning activities with the app.

Brendan986
I've Been Around

Can I also get a ticket put in for Altadore / SW Calgary. I have an IPhone 12 Pro Max and struggle to get 3 bars outside, all my Instagram videos that should “insta-stream” lag, and chop, constantly. Meanwhile all my other friends phones stream videos perfectly fine. It’s been terrible reception for what should be the heart of Calgary.
RogersMoin

Hello, @Brendan986.

Thank you for joining this conversation, and welcome to Rogers Community Forums.

Poor signal outdoors can be inconvenient; when was the last time you had a strong signal? Is this poor signal occurring at a specific location?

You can check the network status and complete the troubleshooting for poor signal by following the steps listed on our Wireless Troubleshooting support portal. 

If a ticket submission is still required, we can happily do it for you. Please send us a private message at @CommunityHelps. You can find details about our private messaging in this blog

Cheers,
RogersMoin