cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor cell service

zavtra
I've been here awhile
I live in Cardiff, a small residential community just outside of St. Albert/Edmonton Alberta, and have never gotten better than two bars of LTE in home, and lately I've been down to three bars of 3G. What is the problem?
74 REPLIES 74

Re: Poor cell service

Gavinrow
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the supportive reply!

Yeah, the phone is usually automatically on 3G, as that's all it can do. When we go outside we get 1 bar, sometimes 2, and it's 3G, and sometimes LTE.

I'll go to network aid, thanks again!

Gavin

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor

@GavinrowI've been through Chilliwack myself and my Android devices seem to work fine. You mentioned you're on iPhone - It should work flawless on the iPhone 7 - Unless it's on an older my10 plan, but sounds like it's on a ShareEverything plan -- I would phone/message tech support to get it working.

Do you know anyone with an unlocked phone and perhaps from a different carrier? If so, and assuming you're iPhone is unlocked, you can try to swap sim cards and see if your card in the other phone results in the same, and if the other user with their sim in your phone is able to make a connect. If they cannot, and you can on their phone (with your sim), then its likely something with your phone. If there isn't a noticeable difference with your sim in the other phone, and their sim works in your phone, then it's something based on Rogers network/accounts (could be a faulty sim card, though rare)

Looking at coverage and cellular sites, Telus and Rogers have pretty similar cell sites in Chilliwack. I use this site, which uses cell site data from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada data -- is actually pretty helpful
http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

As mentioned in other posts, it could be the construction of your home -- example: A metal stud or concrete building with a stucco exterior (with wire mesh) will degrade the signal.
In the myRogers app if you goto DeviceAid, See all tips, Device Details, network -- it will should you the signal strength in decibels (lower the number the better) -

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor
@zavtra Have you tried Wi-Fi Calling? With the iPhone 5s you should be good to go!

Gavinrow
I plan to stick around

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into it. We had a Telus rep here, and he got a better signal than us in the house, and he frequently called his back-office with no issues.

The house is pretty conventional with vinyl sidings.

Gavin

Poor voice quality and poor coverage

Hi I live in Edmonton and I use my rogers phone for business and I have very poor reception

INC0039693 

solution offered:

use extended service(still have issue)
use wifi calling I have very slow speed internet)
use a booster  
when contacted customer service and retention manager was told only way to get out of rogers is I pay penalty for iPhone equipment cost 
my question why I was not told when sign up with rogers that the area I live has a limited service and I have to rely on extended service or booster on wifi calling 
I started in November and started complaining since December( past buyers remorse)
Business can't run with in reliable phone service 

Please don't deceive customer

Hello @sivarajagopalan,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how frustrating it is to experience such poor reception on your phone right after signing a term for your Wireless service.

Are you on a Business plan or a regular consumer plan? If you are a Business customer you will have to reach out to our Business Customer Service teams by clicking on this link.

If you are not a Business customer send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps and we can take a closer look at this for you. For more information on our Private Messaging system Click Here.

RogersTony

BS
I'm a senior advisor

It is not something they tell you is what your service quality is going to be - if you ask, you will be directed to a map - there are apps that are available that will identify towers and signal levels in your home.

Basically, they provide you with the remorse period that you have 15 days, now unlimited use to cancel if you are not happy at no cost and return of equipment, but if beyond that period, you are stuck with the contract.

So do follow-up with the offer from community helps - they can investigate and possibly Rogers will provision another tower in the area if possible.

Otherwise, the only real solution is the booster which can be purchased and do work very well - it picks up the signal from the tower, and repeats it into your home.

In my home, I have two towers in eye sight direct line of site to a concrete wall, so when in my living room, I get 1 LTE or no bars at all.  I have to go out my front door to get a signal from a tower 2 1/2 km down the road - can't get signals in my back yard because we live in a medium density home build and all the signals are blocked by homes.

Interesting thing, Wind never had a tower here, and they just put new ones in.

One of the unfortunate realities of wireless signals, whether WIFI, or cellular, is interference and structures interfere.

But on final note, only solution really is the booster. But they are going to run you about 100.00 though.

Good luck - maybe Rogers will provision a tower, but their solutions provided really are the only ones. do take a look at an app to identify tower locations and strengths, so you can at least know where you can get signals.

Bruce

Gavinrow
I plan to stick around

Thanks Bruce. I didn't know I could get a booster. The nearest tower is only a km away. There are a lot of structures in my area - all houses. There's also a lot of new development being built in the way. This might actually be good, because that will probably mean there are more people losing signal!

I'm calling Rogers tomorrow to see what they can do for me, but in the meantime I'll probably try the booster.

Gavin

@BSwrote:

It is not something they tell you is what your service quality is going to be - if you ask, you will be directed to a map - there are apps that are available that will identify towers and signal levels in your home.

Basically, they provide you with the remorse period that you have 15 days, now unlimited use to cancel if you are not happy at no cost and return of equipment, but if beyond that period, you are stuck with the contract.

So do follow-up with the offer from community helps - they can investigate and possibly Rogers will provision another tower in the area if possible.

Otherwise, the only real solution is the booster which can be purchased and do work very well - it picks up the signal from the tower, and repeats it into your home.

In my home, I have two towers in eye sight direct line of site to a concrete wall, so when in my living room, I get 1 LTE or no bars at all.  I have to go out my front door to get a signal from a tower 2 1/2 km down the road - can't get signals in my back yard because we live in a medium density home build and all the signals are blocked by homes.

Interesting thing, Wind never had a tower here, and they just put new ones in.

One of the unfortunate realities of wireless signals, whether WIFI, or cellular, is interference and structures interfere.

But on final note, only solution really is the booster. But they are going to run you about 100.00 though.

Good luck - maybe Rogers will provision a tower, but their solutions provided really are the only ones. do take a look at an app to identify tower locations and strengths, so you can at least know where you can get signals.

Bruce

Gavinrow
I plan to stick around

Wow - just did some research, and the cell phone boosters are about $500. Don't think that's happening!!!!

BS
I'm a senior advisor

There are cheaper versions - the expensive ones are intended for office and building settings.  You find them in hospitals often.

Keep searching - there are cheaper versions out there - there are even car versions - remember when we had to put an antenna on the outside of our car - basically the same thing.

Home versions start at around 50.00 and up - don't know the quality. Car versions start around 140.00 and upwards.

No they are not cheap  Hopefully Rogers will look at cell tower location.

Good luck 

Bruce

Gavinrow
I plan to stick around
Thanks - will do...

Poor Coverage in Edmonton & on QEII Corridor
I seem to have poor coverage almost everywhere I am in Edmonton.  Both work and personal cell phones are Rogers.  Now my personal cell phone - battery life is waning, and just burning down - I am sure because it is tired of continuously trying to get service!  Not sure what to do, other than consider changing providers on personal cell phone - been with Rogers almost 8 years, and the cell coverage is not improving.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Otherwise, will consider going to another provider shortly.  Thanks!

Good morning @pdscott25!

Welcome to our Community!

If you've been having ongoing reception issues, we'd like to troubleshoot with you. Edmonton is a fully covered LTE zone so we may need to escalate a ticket to have the towers near you investigated to ensure they're in full functioning order.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can get to work for you! If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

soots
I've been here awhile

Poor Cellphone Coverage in Claremont

I have an IPhone7 and was with Fido when I moved to my house last year. I found that the cell coverage in Claremont (North Pickering) is very poor - everyone in the area complains about it. But I found that when I enabled wifi calling with Fido, all of a sudden my cell signal was pretty good and I was able to make calls without many issues. 

In February, I switched to Rogers, figuring the signal is the same (and I was told by Rogers reps that it is), but it was not. Same phone, but the signal was horrible and I was constantly either missing calls or dropping them, which becomes extremely frustrating not only for myself, but for people trying to contact me. So I called Rogers and followed their advice, they said for starters, turn LTE off - and I'm surprised this workaround actually seems to work, but I don't want to constantly be switching my settings on and off with LTE. So finally they got wifi calling enabled on my phone, but still, the signal is horrible. It is the same result whether I make a standard call, a wifi enabled call, or a 3rd party call using internet. 

I can no longer work from home because my signal can drop at any time on a conference call. I've followed Rogers instructions, swapping SIM cards, etc to ensure it is not the phone, and I know from experience, when my wife calls me on my drive home that as soon as I get close to our neighbourhood the call drops - Every. Single. Time. 

But yet despite the high prices we pay for cell packages and phones, nothing has been done to rectify this problem, for our area in general. Claremont isn't in the middle of nowhere, it's located right on the border of Markham/Stouffville/Pickering. Surely there should be a solution for this. 

Hello @soots!

Thanks for being a part of the Community Forums and congrats on your very first post!! 😊

The worst feeling is being on a call (especially an important one!) and having your wireless connection go kaput! I can understand your frustration!!

Technically, the Wi-Fi Calling feature should totally bypass your cellular coverage when routing your calls, so it does surprise me that you are experiencing these dropped call and missed call issues while on both connections. This leads me to my first question: Around the time that this began happening, did you also make any changes to your home internet services? For example, was any new equipment added during that time, or any change made to your internet plan or settings?

Another thing you can try if not already done, is to reset your device's Network Settings. Here is how: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

One final question for you. Around the times where you experience the drop in phone calls on your way home, do you happen to notice if your device displays "Rogers-EXT" or "Roaming" at the top of your device?

Hopefully, we can help get to the bottom of this!

RogersLaura

Since December my cell will not get service in my yard or home, have to drive 2 km down the road

Hi @Powerpup22!

Thanks for joining us here in the Community Forums! Congrats on your first post! 😊

When it comes to keeping in touch with friends and family, many of us depend on a good, strong cellular connection! I also use my cellphone to keep track of other things like finances and my social media feeds. I'm really sorry to hear that you've been having these service issues--that's not fun. 😟

Did you recently change devices or get a new sim card? Do you know if anyone else in your home or nearby are having similar issues?

I would recommend using our MyNetwork service (formerly NetworkAid)! MyNetwork is a self-serve tool that you can access via your MyRogers app or Rogers.com to check for wireless outages, and view coverage types available at specific locations. You also have the option to report a poor wireless signal using the "Report an Issue" feature. Our technical teams will review your feedback to identify and resolve service issues.  Your feedback will also be reviewed by our planning teams to prioritize future network enhancements. 

Please click HERE to get instructions on how to access this tool, or visit Rogers.com to enter your address details and check the current coverage status. 

I hope this information is useful!

RogersLaura

shadowt1tan
I plan to stick around

I switched to Rogers for my cell phone. (iPhone 7+) I originally was with Koodo but got a better deal through Rogers. When I was with Koodo I’d get over 100mbps down through LTE and would have full bars. With the switch I usually get 1 bar LTE and spend most of the time on 3G. I’m right smack dab in the middle of 3 towers surrounding me. Currently I do have calls drop indoors because of this.

My typical data speeds tests are at most 20mbps down with Rogers.

What can I do? Wifi calling helps although if my internet goes out which it does frequently I’m back to nothing.

Hello, @shadowt1tan.

Welcome to the Rogers' family and to the Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for posting your concern in the Community. Weak signal strength and dropped calls can surely be inconvenient. 

Are you experiencing the slow speed and weak signal strength only when you are at home? You are surrounded by three towers and yet see one bar on LTE indicates signal penetration issues. The higher the frequency, the higher the degradation of the signal indoors. 

Have you tested calls and speed elsewhere? Also, let us know if you have done any troubleshooting so far. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

shadowt1tan
I plan to stick around

Yes I am only experiencing the slow speed & call failed in and outside my home. There are other areas where I exceed over 100Mbps where there are full LTE. I have tested in various areas so this seems to be my area specifically where I have the biggest issue.  (Tested on iPhone 7+)

Hey @shadowt1tan,

Thanks for your response!

Just out of curiosity, have you tested any other Rogers wireless devices inside and outside your home to see if the same issue occurs? Do you know of any neighbors who are also on the Rogers Network who are experiencing the same issues?

If no other devices are having this problem and your neighbors are reporting that they are not having any issues, then it could be something to do with the device. You can try purchasing a new sim card to see if that helps.

Another thing you may want to try is resetting your device's Network Settings as follows: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

If you are indeed surrounded by 3 Rogers wireless towers, you would think that the connection would be quite strong (especially once you step outside of your home), however, I would still recommend using our MyNetwork tool (available via your MyRogers app or Rogers.com) to check for wireless outages, and view coverage types available in your specific location. You also have the option to report a poor wireless signal using the "Report an Issue" feature. Our technical teams will review your feedback to identify and resolve service issues.  Your feedback will also be reviewed by our planning teams to prioritize future network enhancements. 

Please click HERE to get instructions on how to access this tool, or visit Rogers.com to enter your address details and check the current coverage status. 

I hope this information is useful!

RogersLaura

Topic Stats