Poor cell service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Poor cell service

Hello, @Gavinrow

I can certainly appreciate your position, a poor signal can be inconvenient. The city of Chilliwack, BC has quite a number of cell towers in the close vicinity. Since the issue is indoors it would be difficult to troubleshoot as the signal penetration is impacted by factors like the structure of the building, building materials and other interferences. Sometimes it helps to disable the LTE, have you tried disabling the LTE? 

I also suggest using the "Report an Issue" feature in the NetworkAid to report the poor signal issues. Our technical teams will review your feedback to identify and resolve service issues.  Your feedback will also be reviewed by our planning teams to prioritize future network enhancements. 

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the supportive reply!

Yeah, the phone is usually automatically on 3G, as that's all it can do. When we go outside we get 1 bar, sometimes 2, and it's 3G, and sometimes LTE.

I'll go to network aid, thanks again!

Gavin

I'm a Regular

@GavinrowI've been through Chilliwack myself and my Android devices seem to work fine. You mentioned you're on iPhone - It should work flawless on the iPhone 7 - Unless it's on an older my10 plan, but sounds like it's on a ShareEverything plan -- I would phone/message tech support to get it working.

Do you know anyone with an unlocked phone and perhaps from a different carrier? If so, and assuming you're iPhone is unlocked, you can try to swap sim cards and see if your card in the other phone results in the same, and if the other user with their sim in your phone is able to make a connect. If they cannot, and you can on their phone (with your sim), then its likely something with your phone. If there isn't a noticeable difference with your sim in the other phone, and their sim works in your phone, then it's something based on Rogers network/accounts (could be a faulty sim card, though rare)

Looking at coverage and cellular sites, Telus and Rogers have pretty similar cell sites in Chilliwack. I use this site, which uses cell site data from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada data -- is actually pretty helpful
http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

As mentioned in other posts, it could be the construction of your home -- example: A metal stud or concrete building with a stucco exterior (with wire mesh) will degrade the signal.
In the myRogers app if you goto DeviceAid, See all tips, Device Details, network -- it will should you the signal strength in decibels (lower the number the better) -

I'm a Regular

@zavtra Have you tried Wi-Fi Calling? With the iPhone 5s you should be good to go!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the advice - I'll look into it. We had a Telus rep here, and he got a better signal than us in the house, and he frequently called his back-office with no issues.

The house is pretty conventional with vinyl sidings.

Gavin

I've Been Here Awhile

Poor voice quality and poor coverage

Hi I live in Edmonton and I use my rogers phone for business and I have very poor reception

INC0039693 

solution offered:

use extended service(still have issue)
use wifi calling I have very slow speed internet)
use a booster  
when contacted customer service and retention manager was told only way to get out of rogers is I pay penalty for iPhone equipment cost 
my question why I was not told when sign up with rogers that the area I live has a limited service and I have to rely on extended service or booster on wifi calling 
I started in November and started complaining since December( past buyers remorse)
Business can't run with in reliable phone service 

Please don't deceive customer

Hello @sivarajagopalan,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how frustrating it is to experience such poor reception on your phone right after signing a term for your Wireless service.

Are you on a Business plan or a regular consumer plan? If you are a Business customer you will have to reach out to our Business Customer Service teams by clicking on this link.

If you are not a Business customer send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps and we can take a closer look at this for you. For more information on our Private Messaging system Click Here.

RogersTony

I'm a Senior Advisor

It is not something they tell you is what your service quality is going to be - if you ask, you will be directed to a map - there are apps that are available that will identify towers and signal levels in your home.

Basically, they provide you with the remorse period that you have 15 days, now unlimited use to cancel if you are not happy at no cost and return of equipment, but if beyond that period, you are stuck with the contract.

So do follow-up with the offer from community helps - they can investigate and possibly Rogers will provision another tower in the area if possible.

Otherwise, the only real solution is the booster which can be purchased and do work very well - it picks up the signal from the tower, and repeats it into your home.

In my home, I have two towers in eye sight direct line of site to a concrete wall, so when in my living room, I get 1 LTE or no bars at all.  I have to go out my front door to get a signal from a tower 2 1/2 km down the road - can't get signals in my back yard because we live in a medium density home build and all the signals are blocked by homes.

Interesting thing, Wind never had a tower here, and they just put new ones in.

One of the unfortunate realities of wireless signals, whether WIFI, or cellular, is interference and structures interfere.

But on final note, only solution really is the booster. But they are going to run you about 100.00 though.

Good luck - maybe Rogers will provision a tower, but their solutions provided really are the only ones. do take a look at an app to identify tower locations and strengths, so you can at least know where you can get signals.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Bruce. I didn't know I could get a booster. The nearest tower is only a km away. There are a lot of structures in my area - all houses. There's also a lot of new development being built in the way. This might actually be good, because that will probably mean there are more people losing signal!

I'm calling Rogers tomorrow to see what they can do for me, but in the meantime I'll probably try the booster.

Gavin

@BSwrote:

It is not something they tell you is what your service quality is going to be - if you ask, you will be directed to a map - there are apps that are available that will identify towers and signal levels in your home.

Basically, they provide you with the remorse period that you have 15 days, now unlimited use to cancel if you are not happy at no cost and return of equipment, but if beyond that period, you are stuck with the contract.

So do follow-up with the offer from community helps - they can investigate and possibly Rogers will provision another tower in the area if possible.

Otherwise, the only real solution is the booster which can be purchased and do work very well - it picks up the signal from the tower, and repeats it into your home.

In my home, I have two towers in eye sight direct line of site to a concrete wall, so when in my living room, I get 1 LTE or no bars at all.  I have to go out my front door to get a signal from a tower 2 1/2 km down the road - can't get signals in my back yard because we live in a medium density home build and all the signals are blocked by homes.

Interesting thing, Wind never had a tower here, and they just put new ones in.

One of the unfortunate realities of wireless signals, whether WIFI, or cellular, is interference and structures interfere.

But on final note, only solution really is the booster. But they are going to run you about 100.00 though.

Good luck - maybe Rogers will provision a tower, but their solutions provided really are the only ones. do take a look at an app to identify tower locations and strengths, so you can at least know where you can get signals.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Wow - just did some research, and the cell phone boosters are about $500. Don't think that's happening!!!!