cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phonebox is a Rogers MVO, but not all features are available on it?

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

This is an odd one, when I was with Rogers Wireless, callers can call me when I'm abroad or in the basement where there was no cellular coverage and I'm connected to my Wi-Fi access point. Calls and be made and received without issue as long as I'm connected to Wi-Fi. If I'm unable to answer the call, it goes (as it should) to voicemail.

However, with Phonebox (and unlike with Fido) callers get a busy signal should they not answer the phone while connected via Wi-Fi calling. 

After investigating, Phonebox support says this feature also doesn't work if you're a Rogers customer. I explained to them that's not correct that they've been misled by Rogers Communication and that even Rogers (premium) customers aren't able to have their calls routed to voicemail when connected to Wi-Fi calling.

Anyway, I'm just mentioning this issue which probably most people aren't concerned about. For the few that are, they have my post as a reference.

*Added Labels*

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Phonebox is a Rogers MVO, but not all features are available on it?

RogersMoin

Hello, @Hmm.

I appreciate you sharing your WiFi Calling experience. As you observed, Phonebox is an MVNO that purchases services from providers like Rogers in wholesale to sell to its customers. As such, they may offer only some of the features Rogers users enjoy.

I can confirm when WiFi Calling is enabled on a Rogers-supported plan; if the call is unanswered, it will be routed to the voicemail.

Thanks for the fantastic post.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RogersMoin

Hello, @Hmm.

I appreciate you sharing your WiFi Calling experience. As you observed, Phonebox is an MVNO that purchases services from providers like Rogers in wholesale to sell to its customers. As such, they may offer only some of the features Rogers users enjoy.

I can confirm when WiFi Calling is enabled on a Rogers-supported plan; if the call is unanswered, it will be routed to the voicemail.

Thanks for the fantastic post.

Cheers,
RogersMoin

Hmm
I'm an enthusiast

Hi @RogersMoin 

Much thanks for taking the time to verify this. On one hand, I can completely understand that a MVNO won't have all the features as the provider they obtain their service from. I also expect network prioritization with MVNO's and even flanker brands (I believe I experienced this with Fido/Chatr, Rogers and Koodo/Telus).

On the other hand, I feel there shouldn't be a difference and if there is, then the MVNO has an obligation to acknowledge this. I recall calling Rogers technical support on this issue and I was informed that the MVNO (Phonebox) shouldn't be having any features or limitations with Wi-Fi calling. It either works (in its entirety) or it doesn't. The transferring of a call to voicemail when connected to Wi-Fi calling isn't really a feature, it's expected normal behavior. Wi-Fi calling, VoLTE, or 5G is a feature though. 

Nonetheless, you've verified what I had suspected. It's up to the MVNO's to address these shortcomings with the seller of their service. For what it's worth, I had no idea we had any MVNOs in Canada, and I never heard of Phonebox until recently. 

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 in conversation