Phone switching to Roaming

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Phone switching to Roaming

Hi
I usually go to Niagara Falls near US Border for work. It automatically connects to US network, I am on Canadian side. If I manually select Rogers network in Border area then , I don’t have to pay the Roaming charges.
If I put Chatr or Vigin Sim it works ok.

Hello @rajanverma13,

Thanks for the further clarification! I can see how not being able to set "Rogers" as your wireless network would present a concern in your case!

We've done some further digging and have concluded that the latest iOS 12 doesn't seem to include this option specifically for Rogers sim cards. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and will be happy to forward this feedback to the appropriate team for further review! 

Thank you!

RogersLaura

Hello Community!

I just wanted to provide an update to my post above! We don’t have exact timing to share, but we are working with Apple on updating the software to allow you to manually select a Canadian carrier in future. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

I've Been Around

Just found this thread...this is a deal-breaker for me. I live in close proximity to US. I am often on call for work, and the ability to force my phone to stay on Rogers is absolutely a requirement. In its automatic mode the phone constantly switches between Rogers and AT&T.
I've Been Here Awhile

Just updated to 12.1  Still no option for manually selecting rogers extended.  Is this happening any time soon?  I live in a rural area and rely on rogers extended.  Now with barely 1 bar 3G and can't even load a web page.  Always times out

Good evening @Sheppy4065,

Thanks for joining the Rogers Community and posting your inquiry.

I understand it must be frustrating when your device does not connect to the network adequately.

You may not have the ability to manually select the Rogers-EXT network. When your device shows Extended Coverage, that means you're connected to the carrier with the strongest signal.

If you manually select Rogers, it may prevent the device from automatically connecting to the carrier with the strongest signal in your area.

Has this recently started happening?

If you have access to a Wi-Fi network at home you may want to look into setting up Wi-Fi Calling.

RogersMaude

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the reply.  Yes I do have wifi calling setup.  This is only new with the iOS 12 update.  We have now lost the option to manually select a carrier.  In my situation our family is use to selecting Rogers Extended on their phones if they are in around the house/property.  Household wifi is weak as well based on our rural setting.

Our phones switch between no service and 1 bar 3 G.  Most times it will not connect to the internet unless in Rogers Extended mode.  Most times we have to turn automatic carrier off and then select Rogers Extended.  It does not seem to go to extended when in automatic mode.

I read in an earlier post that Rogers is working with Apple to get this feature put back on with iOS.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sheppy4065 wrote:

I read in an earlier post that Rogers is working with Apple to get this feature put back on with iOS.

The next release of iOS should return the ability to manually select the network.