Phone switching to Roaming

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Phone switching to Roaming

Whenever I go underground or am in a building my phone goes roaming for inconsistent amounts of time. I'm sitting on my cpu connected to wifi, yet I'm out of my coverage area? This is getting ridiculous, sitting at home and roaming has been up for several hours now

*Edited Labels*

Re: Phone switching to Roaming

Good day @ben777777777777,

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for your post!

Experiencing network connectivity issues with your phone can definitely be a pain to deal with.

We will need to get a better understanding of the situation to help you resolve the problem.

• When you mentioned "roaming" are you referring to the Rogers- EXT network, as in extended coverage?

• Have you tried to manually select Rogers in the Carrier options, instead of leaving it on "Automatic"?

I don't want to bombard you with questions, but it would be very helpful to know whether you're using a Rogers device or not.

Also, could you let us know the troubleshooting steps you've perform so far?

Looking forward to your reply!

RogersMaude

I've Been Here Awhile

I mean as in I can't connect to anything since I "left" my coverage area while sitting in my place most of the morning. That roaming mode that won't let me make calls or use my data for anything I'd like to do on it until its "back" in the coverage area. 

I manually picked ROGERS for my network just now

Rogers Employee aliaz
Rogers Employee

What is the make and model of your Device? 

Have you done a network reset on your device? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have roaming off, it wouldnt jump onto anything else and not be able to do anything.

If you have any semi recent plan, it should contain the extended roaming.  It will roam onto Bell towers, with no additional cost.

As to why? It may be that your in an area with very poor rogers coverage to start? Going inside a house, etc may be even enough to just block off that already weaker signal.. but there may be a Bell tower which is closer, etc.

I've Been Around

Roaming Charges Within Canada?

Anybody else getting charged for roaming even though you haven't left the country?  The advice I had was to put my phone on 'airplane mode' if I'm near the ocean (Victoria BC).  This is not useful as it would prevent me from making or receiving phone calls.  Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@evilance wrote:

Roaming Charges Within Canada?

Anybody else getting charged for roaming even though you haven't left the country?  The advice I had was to put my phone on 'airplane mode' if I'm near the ocean (Victoria BC).  This is not useful as it would prevent me from making or receiving phone calls.  Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

@evilance

What phone are you running? On an iPhone you can go to:

Settings -> Cellular -> Turn off Data Roaming

Settings -> Network Selection -> Change from Auto to "ROGERS"

I've Been Here Awhile

I don't have this option

Settings -> Network Selection -> Change from Auto to "ROGERS"

anymore in Apple after IOS 12 update.

How to change it.

I've Been Here Awhile

Also it only happens with Rogers Sim only. With Chatr or Virgin, I can see the option to change from Automatic to Manual.

I called Rogers tech support and they said its a Bug in Apple software. Call Apple support. How it could be possible, if it works with other provider sims and not working with Rogers.

Good morning @rajanverma13!

Welcome to our Community!

Is there any reason, in particular, you're looking to switch this setting off of automatic? In rare circumstances, it can be useful but you should be able to leave it on automatic in most cases.

I just want to be certain that you're not looking to use this setting as a bandaid fix for some larger issue that we should be addressing! Please let me know.

Regards,

RogersCorey