cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New unlocked phones for VoLTE

b-ry
I'm a reliable contributor

So I understand for LTE the unlocked phone needs to support the Rogers LTE Frequencies, which I have. But is there any other requirements when it comes to VoLTE? Is as long as the phone supports the LTE bands, and VoLTE it will work, or is there some other "magic"?

Thanks.

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: New unlocked phones for VoLTE

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @b-ry

It seems if you have a Rogers Post paid account with a LTE sim card, a VOLTE-compatible device and updated software it should work but again it all depends on the device.

It seems iPhone 6S all models should work all Galaxy S6 models should work and LG G4 should.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @b-ry

It seems if you have a Rogers Post paid account with a LTE sim card, a VOLTE-compatible device and updated software it should work but again it all depends on the device.

It seems iPhone 6S all models should work all Galaxy S6 models should work and LG G4 should.

scoalegil
I plan to stick around

I think Rogers is rolling this out for specific devices only. In other words, you need a |Rogers-approved VoLTE device. I suspect their doing it this way to ensure it's working well and folks are getting what they expect from it. No one else even offers VoLTE yet to my knowledge. 

nyk0n
I plan to stick around

Well no one else in Canada, yet.  But europe has had it for a couple years now and the USA started it on multiple carriers well over a year ago. Rogers launched for the LG phone in March 2015, Galaxy S6 shortly after and for the newly launched (at the time) iPhone 6S and 6S Plus in October 2015. no new phones have been added to this list yet. I suspect if they dont update their carrier settings for iPhone 6/6Plus by the time the iPhone 7 launches then us iphone 6/6Plus users will be left with Devices not able to do it ever (why work on carrier settings for a two year old device?), at least on the Rogers Network. Unlock them sell them to an American and no problem.

ybalsara
I plan to stick around
I have the Samsung Galaxy S6 128GB Android 5.1.1 .. VOLTE still won't work. Model SM-G920W8

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ybalsara

That's because Rogers hasn't enabled it yet on this device.

ybalsara
I plan to stick around
It worked on my Rogers S6 32GB just fine. I ended up getting a same model number Unlocked Bell 128gb s6 and VOLTE Is not working. Everyone I call in they say it has to be rogers branded. Can I flash rogers software? I don't get it. Same model number just oringinally locked to bell. sm-G920W8.

ybalsara
I plan to stick around

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ybalsara

If you can find the Rogers version of it online then yes you should be able to root your device and add it.

ybalsara
I plan to stick around
@Meowmix I've called rogers they keep telling me its not a rogers device. But VOLTE should work. I flashed rogers ROM BOJ7. still nothing. It's a Bell S6 same model number as rogers.
How can I access the service menu *#0101#*? Gives me details but I wanted to go through settings?

ybalsara
I plan to stick around
I'm desperate to get it working. I know I can figure it out but any suggestions

Meowmix
I'm a trusted advisor
Hello @ybalsara

I do wonder if its ONLY devices offered from Rogers which have Rogers bloatware.

Have you checked online to find that?

ybalsara
I plan to stick around
Yes I checked online could take find anything g except the service menu thing. According the the US carriers there is a flag inside the phone I have to enable but I gotta figure out how to fully access the service menu

bottleb
I plan to stick around
Any update on this? The proposed solution is useless. Im in the same boat with a sm-g925w8 unlocked from bell on a share everything plan. unable to video call or VoLTE

Hi @bottleb,

Thank you for your patience and welcome to the Community Forums!Smiley Happy

Looks like you have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge - SM-G925W8, if this is the case you'll need to first make sure your unlocked device have the proper Rogers APN settings here and check the follow list below:

• Plan is LTE Calling compatible / provisioned.

• Compatible data plan and LTE-ready SIM card.
• Latest device software version and carrier settings.
• VoLTE / Wi-Fi Calling features are enabled on the plan.

• Device has the firmware that supports LTE on most major carriers.
• VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling settings in the device are enabled / turned on.

For Video Calling both users must have a minimum 3G Video Calling capable handset

Please note: We give limited support for unlocked devices because of all the variables that are involved with non-Rogers devices (not guaranteed to work). So far VoLTE is confirmed as working / being compatible on the Rogers network with Samsung Galaxy S6 and above, iPhone 6s and 6s Plus (Wi-Fi calling). 

Hope this helps,

RogersArthur

bottleb
I plan to stick around
Thanks for the reply.

Everything is good on my end yes.

Latest Rogers OJ7 firmware.
APN is correct.
VoLTE enabled etc..
Seems its on the other end (Rogers system) that its not working.

Support has opened a ticket on Friday. Any way of getting an update?

Thanks

ybalsara
I plan to stick around
I was in the same boat as you.. with my unlocked Bell device. I'm very technical and tried everything. I escalated it and they said sorry if it's not a Rogers device it won't work. I believe in the backend it authenticates from IMEI so it only allows Rogers models to work on VOLTE I got fed up and ended up selling my bell unlocked phone and bought a Rogers one

bottleb
I plan to stick around
Well thats a shame...from what the mod said, seems like my unlocked SHOULD work.

Allowing only Rogers S6 when all the Canadian carriers have the exact SAME model would be VERY unfortunate and dumb

ybalsara
I plan to stick around

I know I literally busted my brain out for this.. there is no reason it should not work. I copied all the system files radios and even the same Rogers BOJ7 Rom onto the phone and no luck. I strongly feel their gonna a give you the answer "Sorry it's not a Rogers device there for we donot support it ". But I wish you the best for luck. Let me know what you find. I tried everything technicialooks on my end. I feel their doing it by IMEI on the back end so they can serve Rogers devices their voLTE

bottleb
I plan to stick around
Will let you know 4 sure...spent all weekend on this..i AM paying for my Share Everything plan....

bottleb
I plan to stick around
was just layes the smackdown by Facebook support

"You're welcome. I'm sorry I could not help more but unfortunately it is a feature for only Rogers purchased devices currently. "

😞
Topic Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 12 in conversation