Lost Texts While Abroad

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Lost Texts While Abroad

Hey everyone, 
I was in the Caribbean recently and had my phone (Galaxy S6) on airplane mode for the entire trip. I accidentally took it off airplane mode for about an hour during my first day, but no text messages or anything came in. When I landed back in Canada I had aboslutely 0 messages. Perhaps I'm just not that popular, but a friend told me explictely that she had messaged me during the week I was away. It's been nearly 24 hours since I've landed and so I imagine no messages will be trickling in at this point. 

Any ideas how to determine if any messages are lost, and how to retrieve them? 

Thank you!

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Lost Texts While Abroad

Hello again @KyleM,

I am very sorry for the late reply Smiley Embarassed

Due to the vast amount of text messages sent and received on the network, after a messages is undeliverable for 72 hours it is automatically deleted off the server to reduce network traffic and allow for other messages to be sent/received.

I am truly sorry about that. It is possible for you to receive text messages and avoid being charged for RLH.

In order to do so, simply deactivate Data Roaming, in the network settings of your phone, and avoid making or receiving phone calls.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have other questions!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

Good evening @KyleM,

Thank you for your post!

I understand your issue and I want to help you get those messages back Smiley Wink

Answering the following questions will help us guide you towards the resolution of your issue:

• Did your friend mention that the SMS sent were not delivered successfully to your phone (i. e.: error message)?
  • Have you tried accessing Rogers One Number, to see if they were backed up on there?

Pertaining to the messages on your phone :

• Have you ever had texting issue in the past with your device?
  • If you are using an iphone were the SMS sent via iMessage?
  • Did you have access to a Wi-Fi network while abroad, or was your data roaming turned off?

Looking forward to your reply!

RogersMaude

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

My friend messaged me on social media asking if I received her message, so I assume she thought I received it (no error message). As far as I know I don't even have a Rogers One Number (pretty old plan).

No texting issues in the past. I am using an android Galaxy S6. I had Wi-Fi for most of the trip but the airplane mode was on as well.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Any ideas, Maude? ;( 

Highlighted

Hello again @KyleM,

I am very sorry for the late reply Smiley Embarassed

Due to the vast amount of text messages sent and received on the network, after a messages is undeliverable for 72 hours it is automatically deleted off the server to reduce network traffic and allow for other messages to be sent/received.

I am truly sorry about that. It is possible for you to receive text messages and avoid being charged for RLH.

In order to do so, simply deactivate Data Roaming, in the network settings of your phone, and avoid making or receiving phone calls.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have other questions!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post