LTE Coverage around Ottawa

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

A few months ago I had to return my new HTC 1x after network engineering confirmed that I could not receive LTE in my area of Ottawa, despite the network coverage map saying I was within range. The area I'm referring to is around the corner of Delaney Dr and Rocky Creek Way. In fact, in my own unofficial and minimal drive testing, I got no LTE service with that phone for a couple of kms around. Once I got closer to Kanata or even Arnprior, the LTE icon showed up and I got ridiculously fast speeds.

Support stated that they are constantly improving coverage. I would still like to go LTE, but I'm not sure if your coverage map ever updated. Can I now rely on the map and go get a phone? Note that if I have the same experience, I will have to return the phone again.

****Edited Labels****

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: LTE Coverage around Ottawa

One thing to take note of, even of they did increase the area, there can still be pockets or dead zones, created by the landscape, etc.

Hopefully someone from the Ottawa area can help you if they know 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

I understand that there can be dead zones. But I went in multiple directions for a couple of kms and got nothing (I'd say even larger distances, but I didn't get that thorough in all directions). They do appear to mark an LTE dead zone about a km or more away from me, but it's quite small. I suggested they expand that area to indicate a much larger area spanning kms rather than hundreds of feet. That conversation just goes nowhere though.

The other thing that threw me off is that network engineering (as tech support called them) specifically said that there is no coverage in my area. To which I point back at the map and ask why they advertise that there is.

I supposed I could try it again and hope they have improved service. I know calling won't help because front line just refers to the map. And maybe I could try the Samsung to see if it's any better at picking up LTE than the HTC was. But I doubt that there's that much difference between devices. If I could get a signal a few hundred feet away, maybe. But not with the distances involved here.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It would be very minor between devices if anything. 

I've Been Around

So the LTE coverage map is outdated, both Mallorytown and Athens Ontario have LTE coverage, but the nearest large city (metro 40k) is Brockville and still doesn't have LTE, yet Bell and a few other carriers have it. What's up with that? Mostly along the entire 401 from Kingston to just before Brockville has LTE as well....

I've Been Around

I live in Barrhaven and I cannot get LTE coverage at my house, although it is smack in the middle of an urban area.  When I first looked at the Rogers LTE coverage map, it looks like all of Barrhaven is covered.  However, if you zoom in 10 times, there are some LTE dead zones and my house is in one of these zones.  I asked tech support if this service would be improved and it looks like it won't be for a while.

My cell reception at my house is pretty bad too; I usually only get one bar on my iPhone 5S.  I've called and complained a few times now, but the tech support always says that there's a tower 1.5 km from my house and I should have good reception.  I agree that I SHOULD have good cell reception and, at the very least, 3G data connectivity while at my house.  Unfortunately I do not.  I'm often limited to E data connectivity and I have a lot of dropped calls, especially if the weather is bad.

The reception is so bad that taxi cabs are reluctant to come into my neighborhood because they cannot use their remote credit card reader.  The same is true for food delivery.  I often need to walk down the block to pay using Interac or a credit card.

I've asked Rogers to physically dispatch a tech to come to my house to see the reception for themselves.  No luck.

I looked at the LTE coverage that Bell offers in the area - http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Coverage_map - and they do not have any LTE dead zones (at least according to their map).  I'm seriously thinking about switching providers.

I'm Here A Lot

So, I work in the downtown core of Ottawa, and have my work Blackberry, and now my iPhone 6, and neither phone gets a good signal, and by good signal, I mean I usually only get the Edge network on my iPhone!  That's kinda crazy, since I was with Virgin Mobile, had a Nexus 5 phone, same building, etc, and always had LTE.

So, does Bell Canada actually have better service and coverage than Rogers??  Cause I am paying a lot of money for data that I basically cannot use as the Edge network reminds me of using dial-up to get onto the Internet!

Defiently not satisfied by the quality of service from Rogers here in downtown Ottawa.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Coverage can vary from carrier to carrier.

In location A, Bell may be better, due to the location of the bell towers.  But in location B, they may be worse where rogers is better, etc.

EG: where i am, i DO get LTE, 1-2 bars only.. i go like 5 mins down the street.. there is a BELL dead zone.. i only get edge rogers.. so just BARELY, but almost zero bell... so obviously the rogers tower his this spot just EVER so slightly.

I'm a Regular

When I was with Rogers, I was "on EDGE" a lot...both literally and figuratively 😉 Switched to Bell and never looked back. Even when I have 1 bar of signal (which is pretty rare...most of the time, reception is solid), service is still fast, usable, and feels stable. YMMV, but I know your pain OP, having experienced it myself MANY times.