LD Charges on Ext Coverage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

LD Charges on Ext Coverage

Does anyone know what LD charges apply  on LOCAL calls  in an area of Extended  coverage. My  plan apparently does give me  Ext coverage and I have been given no less than 3 different answers by 3 different Rogers support staff, For example, my home area is Toronto and I travel to Kelowna BC and am in the Rogers cell coverage area....

The 3 responses I have been given are,,,

1. Any calls I make or receive in Kelowna to a local number will not be LD.

2. Only Incoming  local calls will be LD.

3. Only Outgoing local calls will be LD.

(I would ask Mr. Lawrence but he is no longer with the Company.)

Any advice as to how I can narrow this down to one answer?

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: LD Charges on Ext Coverage

@Userx333

LD charges will be the same in EXT as Rogers coverage.

If you are outside you registered calling area (you mentioned Toronto) and your plan isn't Canada-wide, you will be charged LD for all incoming and outgoing calls.

However there is one exemption. When you are in a different LCA (local calling area), like Kelowna, and you call a local Kelowna number, that will be a local call. But if that number calls you in Kelowna, you can the caller will be charged (depending on each others plan details) LD.

Attached, is a diagram, that Rogers pushed out a few years back -- I liked it so much as it explains LCAs perfectly, I saved a copy. I Believe it was originally posted on the Rogers Redboard.

EXT or Rogers, if you are outside you LCA, you'll be billed accordingly. Hope that helps you understand. Rogers LCA diagram

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

@Userx333

LD charges will be the same in EXT as Rogers coverage.

If you are outside you registered calling area (you mentioned Toronto) and your plan isn't Canada-wide, you will be charged LD for all incoming and outgoing calls.

However there is one exemption. When you are in a different LCA (local calling area), like Kelowna, and you call a local Kelowna number, that will be a local call. But if that number calls you in Kelowna, you can the caller will be charged (depending on each others plan details) LD.

Attached, is a diagram, that Rogers pushed out a few years back -- I liked it so much as it explains LCAs perfectly, I saved a copy. I Believe it was originally posted on the Rogers Redboard.

EXT or Rogers, if you are outside you LCA, you'll be billed accordingly. Hope that helps you understand. Rogers LCA diagram

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@b-ry ... cool chart . Smiley Wink

Lol ... so that means  each of the Rogers CSR    responses  are incorrect  ??  Smiley Sad  

You also have to be cautious of where the margin is to your LCA .  We happen to live  on ours and it is a pain in the butt unless you have a Canada Wide plan .. .and Rogers doesn't have a plan for us low volume users so I had to go  to a different provider .

Used to be  I could be in one room of our house and make a local call and be in another room ,same house and the same call would be a long distance call . The issue  is now made worse by the fact that Rogers no longer tells you whether you are making a long distance call .

Have fun on your travels !Smiley Wink 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks b-ry. I was lead to believe that

, with Extended Coverage, which came into effect last year, that there would be no charge for any local calls even if you didn't have  an LD plan. This is certainly implied in the FAQ's that Rogers has in the wireless support area of their website...eg.

"There is no additional charge to use your device within an Extended Coverage area. So any talk, text or data you use in an Extended Coverage area is included as part of your current plan and will be billed in the same way as usage on the Rogers network."

So...this FAQ applies to data and text ....but NOT to talk or voicemail (unless you have a LD plan.)  Therefore, to avoid any LD charges the only solution is to turn off the phone or put it in airplane mode and "enjoy" extended coverage with  no text or data in the process!!!

Rogers really needs to clarify this on their website...your diagram explains it very clearly. Their Customer Service Reps also need to be trained on this issue.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Actually, in my case, number 2. was correct...because of the "exemption".
Highlighted

@Userx333well the Rogers FAQs are technically correct in saying that EXT is not additional charge. The charge is related to the details on your plan/contract, not EXT coverage-- if you have say unlimited nationwide after 6p/weekends then that would apply on EXT -- unfortunately, for myself, I'm ineligible for EXT due to I still have a  6GB Super Plan with the my10 calling circle (but that's another issue)

As @barndoor mentioned, it would be nice for a nicer representation of LCAs -- I do not see why a LCA overlay could not be added to a coverage/Google Maps, sure there are many areas, but still. -- The myRogers app, does have a LCA tool that will tell you if the number you want to send/receive will be LD -- But honestly the pre-call LD prompt was the most effective I feel, it should come back.

With older plans there might be a different/better Value Pack available that will have Canada LD -- this was my case, I changed my VM value pack to a newer pack that was actually cheaper, and it give me Canada LD -- so my 200 daytime and unlimited E/W local minutes are now Canada minutes -- I still don't get coverage in EXT areas (my10 limitation) but other then that, it works for me. (Guess I'll continue to use One Number when out of areas via WiFi, until it is discontinued)

Highlighted

@Userx333 wrote:

I 'm having trouble understanding this .... doesn't the exemption just apply to "local" outgoing calls not made in your LCA? 

Number 2 would make sense if you are outside your LCA  if they  hadn't said "only" .... any incoming call will be  LD  if you are outside your LCA won't it ?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I believe we are both right. Note that my original question to Rogers was with respect to LOCAL calls only....so therefore 2. is the right answer.

I found the following info on a competitor's website ....and I think it is consistant with the diagram above. Wish Rogers would publish something similar in their support pages for Extended Coverage.

http://support.bell.ca/Billing-and-Accounts/Billing/How_am_I_billed_if_I_place_a_call_from_my_mobile...

@barndoor wrote:

@Userx333 wrote:

I 'm having trouble understanding this .... doesn't the exemption just apply to "local" outgoing calls not made in your LCA? 

Number 2 would make sense if you are outside your LCA  if they  hadn't said "only" .... any incoming call will be  LD  if you are outside your LCA won't it ?

Highlighted

@Userx333 ... 

LOL ... thank you for your patience  .... sometimes it takes a while to sink in .  Smiley Embarassed

They don't refer to the extended coverage specifically but they do have a somewhat similar description here...   http://www.rogers.com/web/support/wireless/long-distance/359?setLanguage=en

And in the extended coverage area they do state this ...

"How is usage within an Extended Coverage area billed?

There is no additional charge to use your device within an Extended Coverage area. So any talk, text or data you use in an Extended Coverage area is included as part of your current plan and will be billed in the same way as usage on the Rogers network."

I'm not really sure what the difference in geographic location is between an incoming local calling area and an outgoing local calling area in the way they have referenced it  ...and maybe it's just me but I would have thought a particular LCA  would be the same location for both and it just causes confusion .