cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with IKEv2 IPSec VPN on Rogers LTE/3G

JP1204
I'm Here A Lot
This is on an iPhone 7 connected to Rogers LTE or 3G wireless networks. 

I'm having an issue when using IKEv2 IPSec on NordVPN. The VPN connection gets established properly and connections through the VPN appear to work, speedtest works, many sites come up fine, etc. But some websites just never connect (e.g. https://us.opinio.net) through the VPN, others like https://www.reddit.com work 50% of the time. 

Using OpenVPN UDP port 1194 on the same NordVPN server instead of IPSec, there is no issue at all, so it's not a matter of the NordVPN server being blocked by the sites, or itself blocking requests. 

To rule out my phone or NordVPN, I switched the SIM card to TELUS LTE and both VPN modes work just fine, IPSec and OpenVPN. There is also no issues over WiFi.

There really seems to be an issue with Rogers and the connection through IPSec.

Do you guys have an idea what's going on? 

I found a thread where RogersDave suggest switching PDP Type to IPv4 instead of IPv6, but I see no options to do that on an iPhone 7. 

Thank you! 
144 REPLIES 144

Re: Issues with IKEv2 IPSec VPN on Rogers LTE/3G

Adrian91
I Plan to Stick Around

I can't use CCTS to log a complaint as I have an Enterprise account. Isn't this funny.. 

gysh
I Plan to Stick Around

Cant use open VPN with   Meraki so i guess i'm out of luck

Adrian91
I Plan to Stick Around

Same here.

Re-configuring the corporate VPN server and then the entire IT team's phones and laptops (let alone the executives) is not something I can pull over night and therefore is out of the question.

TR93
I've Been Here Awhile

I opened a ticket with Rogers business support. He attached my ticket to a master ticket that is opened for this issue. He doesn't know when it will be resolved and for what it's worth he assures me that they are not intentionally blocking VPN connections over LTE. I told him that I had no issues with VPN connections over Fido LTE.

My iPhone on Rogers and the iPhone on Fido both IPv6 and IPv4 IP addresses assigned. The Fido iPhone gets an IPv4 address is in the 24.x.x.x subnet range which is what my Rogers iPhone used to get. It now gets an IPv4 address in the 72.x.x.x range.

I find it strange that it is taking this long to fix, you would think that the big enterprise IT guys would be yelling at Rogers over this.

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey Community, thanks so much to all those who have shared the details of your VPN LTE issues.

We can confirm there is a known issue and we are currently working on a resolution. If you haven’t so far, please reach out to @CommunityHelps in PM so we may assist further and open a Case if required.

RogersDarrell