Issues with IKEv2 IPSec VPN on Rogers LTE/3G

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Issues with IKEv2 IPSec VPN on Rogers LTE/3G

I'm pretty sure we are done for

I Plan to Stick Around

Which Android device are you using? I will test on my side with the same device.

Also if you to google on the working android device and search for "whats my IP" what does it say? 123.123.123.123 (IPv4) or XX:XX:XXXXXX (IPv6) etc etc.

Also what type of VPN are you using?

Has everyone called Rogers and opened a ticket for NOC to check? It's possible this could just be a error or firewall rule somewhere.

I Plan to Stick Around

Android wasnt working at first, so I had to force it to IPV4 in the APN settings, as Meraki (my VPN) is only IPV4 not IPV6

my VPN is a L2TP/IPSEC

I Plan to Stick Around

Any idea if we can force iPhone to IPV4?

I am using L2TP/IPSEC

I Plan to Stick Around

Apparently only via a MDM solution. I am trying to do it with Meraki MDM. Will post back once I get somewhere.

I Plan to Stick Around

Nope you can't which is probably the issue

I Plan to Stick Around

I think VPN should still work even with the IPv6 -> IPV4 translation..

Especially since we are not using old PPTP -- we are using L2TP IPSEC - could something be accidentally blocked somewhere?

I had issues on Friday but brushed it off as a network issue as I was able to connect on Saturday briefly.

Monday completely gone.

I Plan to Stick Around

OK. Here's what I have tried so far: I have a Mac Server on which I have installed Apple Configurator 2. This is the only way I was able to change those advanced settings in IOS (see this article) like default APN, data APN and the supported protocol versions.

I have tried all the combinations that made sense to me: default and/or data APN = ltepublicip.apn or vpn.apn and selected either IPv4 or IPv6 or both. I have power cycled my iPhone 7 Plus after each setting change and tried to connect to 2 of my own L2TP VPN servers and also tried to use PIA client (see Private Internet Access). None of them helped in any way. By forcing IPv4 only, I managed to loose connectivity all together, which kind of confirms the theory that Rogers may have eliminated support for IPv4 completely.  

I am tempted to believe that either Rogers is trying to push their VPN service over MPLS or somebody made a mistake in their core network configuration. Or, maybe a buggy firmware upgrade on one or more of the core equipment.

Still waiting for an update of my ticket opened yesterday.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for confirming that using your Apple server. I sent you a PM.

So anyways, this was either done intentionally or someone missed a firewall rule in the NOC.

I wonder how many people are affected.

Also waiting on an update for my ticket opened yesterday...
I've Been Here Awhile

We are experiencing the same issue using IKEv1 (IPSEC) and OpenVPN; this started last week with mobile devices only getting ipv6 addresses.  Looks like a bug/mistake in Rogers ipv6->ipv4 translation as we can see asymmetrical data pass through the OpenVPN tunnel.

Tethering a laptop, tablet or whatever to the phone is the only workaround we have right now.  This is a huge problem for us. Smiley Mad