Issues with IKEv2 IPSec VPN on Rogers LTE/3G

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Issues with IKEv2 IPSec VPN on Rogers LTE/3G

This is on an iPhone 7 connected to Rogers LTE or 3G wireless networks. 

I'm having an issue when using IKEv2 IPSec on NordVPN. The VPN connection gets established properly and connections through the VPN appear to work, speedtest works, many sites come up fine, etc. But some websites just never connect (e.g. https://us.opinio.net) through the VPN, others like https://www.reddit.com work 50% of the time. 

Using OpenVPN UDP port 1194 on the same NordVPN server instead of IPSec, there is no issue at all, so it's not a matter of the NordVPN server being blocked by the sites, or itself blocking requests. 

To rule out my phone or NordVPN, I switched the SIM card to TELUS LTE and both VPN modes work just fine, IPSec and OpenVPN. There is also no issues over WiFi.

There really seems to be an issue with Rogers and the connection through IPSec.

Do you guys have an idea what's going on? 

I found a thread where RogersDave suggest switching PDP Type to IPv4 instead of IPv6, but I see no options to do that on an iPhone 7. 

Thank you! 
Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Re: Issues with IKEv2 IPSec VPN on Rogers LTE/3G

Hey @JP1204,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forum!

I appreciate the time you took in researching this before bringing to the attention of our Community. 

You've definitely come to the right place! I'll tag in a few of our knowledgeable Resident Experts to assist you. @Gdkitty @Datalink @gp-se 

Cheers,

RogersCilio

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope, sorry.  This is a wireless issue not a modem/internet issue in the traditional sense of internet issues.  The reference to Dave's post was most likely for devices that connected thru the modem, trying to use IKE IPSEC.  That's almost broken as well, as:

"Non TCP/UDP/ICMP traffic (such as ESP/IPSec without NAT-T) is slowed down below 25 Mbps"

So, in a nutshell, looks like Rogers has an absolute problem with IKE IPSEC and now IKEv2 IPSEC.  This one should be sent to the engineering staff as no one in the community will be able to make it work.  This appears to be a modem (for internet) problem, and network problem for wireless devices.  

You would think that this would gain more attention with the growing use of IPV6.  For Xbox use a couple of references from an Xbox doc indicate:

1.   IPv6 firewalls that block inbound IPsec traffic can be problematic for P2P gaming

2.   CPE should follow RFC 6092 recommendations for IPsec traffic.
      Enable unsolicited, inbound IKE and ESP traffic to prevent blocking P2P IPsec

Its pretty hard to follow the second statement when IPV6 IKE might not even work on the Rogers network.   Fwiw .....

I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for your answer. You mention "This one should be sent to the engineering staff", are they monitoring these forums? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JP1204 the engineering staff don't monitor the forum postings.  @RogersCilio or one of the moderators at @CommunityHelps can forward this to the Wireless Engineering staff. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I am having the same problem on Rogers LTE. Using OpenVPN (port 1194), I successfully get a VPN connection however I will frequently be unable to visit most websites. Once I connect to a WiFi network, I experience no problems at all.

I'm Here A Lot

I don’t know if it’s IPv6 fault but I find that when connected to LTE I often have to hit reload as webpages loading hangs a lot. It was fine a few weeks ago. Even in the middle of a Speedtest I get “network error” and it abruptly stops in the middle of it. That is with 5 bars of LTE in areas that used to be 100% reliable. Quite frankly this is getting very annoying and disappointing of Rogers.
I've Been Around

I have the same issue here. I have a Samsung S8. Nord VPN not working on LTE but is totally fine on wifi. Some webpages never load and commutation apps become very unstable, can't send or receive messages from time to time. One interesting thing is, Facebook first page will load, but when you click to view the comments, the comments won't display at all. The hope Rogers will fix this soon.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hello,
I have the exact same issue on an iPhone 7, running iOS 11.3.
I Plan to Stick Around

VPN (L2TP) not working over LTE?

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to VPN over LTE?

Has a issue a few days ago, then suddenly started working again. Today not working at all. I have been checking my routers and network etc. without success.

I am able to connect to my VPN server from Bell LTE and from WIFI networks and even internally within the same network but nothing over Rogers LTE?

I can see the packets hitting the router from Rogers LTE but the connection just won't establish.

Has something changed?

Anyone else having issues?