Extended coverage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Extended coverage

The catch 22 in this one is that usually the cancellation fees on cell phone plans arise from the remaining fees on the phone, so you are just ending up owning the phone earlier (in general).

Also, just wondering, once you are past the permitted extended time and you can't get it free - is there no way to treat it as long distance roaming? Just wondering.

Bruce

Linford
I've Been Here Awhile

They say no. There is currently no option in Canada for 'roaming'. It all under their ext coverage or nothing. Don't tell anyone this. In our case it was a temporary situation so we just bought another sim card from Rogers and 'brought our own phone' so no unlock fees. And now we can go another few weeks until the situation clears. Another option is to get our phone unlocked and just get a sim card from Bell/Telus to use with this phone but that would have cost another 50$.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

The requirements around the wholesale roaming rates in Canada was initially defined in legislation and managed by the CRTC and CCTC.

This is one to take to the federal representative for communications and indicate the hardship it is creating.  It was a great concept in that it provides for limited free roaming in Canada, but provides no solution for those who fall between the cracks like described here.

I like the idea of multiple sim cards - this is part of the reason I unlock phones now - it can create some problems with advanced feature sets baked in and managed by the cell provider, like WIFI calling and others, but in general, most can work ok.  I do my unlocks either online or local kiosk in a mall.  Much cheaper, and dispite all the talk of risks, I have only had one fail - just don't try it multiple times as you only get 10 - and work with a known company that refunds money if it fails.  The only one that failed was when my phone was 10 months into contract and Rogers had not released the IEME to the unlocking database - I would have had to go to Rogers, tell them to release it as per CRTC rules, and then go back to the company.  The company I did it with would do that for me, but decided not to as I got my daughter's old phone, unlocked it as she owned it for 11.00 Canadian - no problems at all.

Bruce

Ewray89
I've Been Here Awhile

Roaming in canada!?!?!? (post merged)

I'm extremely upset I have paid off a phone with rogers and have two other phones currently under contract. I am being treated horribly I have lived at my house for 8 months and my other line got cut off no warning or nothing for roaming!! Suspended 30 days no exceptions no one is helping or wanting to fix this problem it never happened before this is false advertising biggest network in Canada??? I'm canceling both my phones if this isn't fixed phone me ASAP or I'm going else where.

Ewray89
I've Been Here Awhile

On top of that your rep sold me one of the phones knowing full we it wasn't in your coverage area this is ludicrous

RogersLaura

Hello, @Ewray89!

Thank you for joining us here in the forums and for posting your concern! We are sad to hear that you haven't been having the best experience with us recently. Your satisfaction is very important to us!

Based on your description of your issue, it sounds like the device that was cut off for 'roaming' may have been accessing an Extended Coverage area. We would need to have a closer look at your account to verify if this is true for your situation. 

Just to further explain, Extended Coverage allows our customers access to our partners’ networks for talk, text and data services across Canada when they are outside of the Rogers network coverage area. When you enter an Extended Coverage area you will see EXT, TELUS or a roaming indicator on your device screen and this is how you will know you are using the service.

Although there is no additional charge for this option, it is important to note that access to Extended Coverage areas is meant for occasional use only, and should not represent the majority of your usage for voice, data and/or text. We still need to make sure you’re using the regular Rogers network most of the time (50% +).

After 3 consecutive months of high Extended Coverage usage, a text message is sent to that specific phone number reminding them of our acceptable use policy. After 4 consecutive months of high usage, customers are blocked from accessing Extended Coverage for a minimum of 30 days. A notification of the restriction is provided at least 24 hours before the restriction is applied to give them a heads up. Customers may be permanently blocked from access to Extended Coverage if they continue to be identified as high usage. The Extended Coverage policy is outlined in the Rogers brochure, your wireless service agreement, as well as on rogers.com for your reference. 

For coverage area information, you may visit: rogers.com/coverage 

If you would like for us to review your account details to confirm if this is what is causing the block on your line, please do send us a Private Message @CommunityHelps and we will be happy to have a look! For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

Thank you,

RogersLaura

Linford
I've Been Here Awhile

I fully understand what you're saying. At issue is the fact that customers are locked for 2 years into a contract so are not easily able to change providers if their job or other circumstances take them into a region that is not fully covered by Rogers. (EXT areas.) So ultimately, this fair use policy which is meant to result in "fair treatment." Is only fair for the big boys, namely the telecommunication companies, and very little about this system is in fact fair for the end user. As I said in an earlier post. If you're willing for the inconvenience of a new telephone number, there are temporary work arounds. But ultimately, there needs to be an option for customers to opt out of a contract in case urgent or important circumstances take them into an area not serviced by their phone company, or the phone companies need to cooperate with their service sharing like they do with their pricing plans.