Extended Coverage on a Nokia 920?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Extended Coverage on a Nokia 920?

I have a Nokia 920 running Windows 8.1 and soon to run Windowns 10.   This is the first time I've heard of Extended Coverage.   I often travel outside of the city but well within the areas on the map that say I should have coverage and have never seen the signal change to EXT.    I have roaming turned on.   I have all the other criteria as I'm on a plan (expired but everything is the same) and it's all paid up.   Any thoughts.   Has anyone in Alberta found the extended coverage works?  How about anyone with a Nokia phone?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersSannecia
Retired Moderator

Re: Extended Coverage on a Nokia 920?

Hello @Glen_B

Take a look at our Extended Coverage option here. If your plan is eligible for the feature you would be provided with additional coverage.

RogersSannecia

I'm a Regular

@Glen_B I have a Lumia 920 -- and it worked great with Extended Coverage! It does not anymore, as my plan is not eligible. ( I have a 6 GB Super Plan with my10 and with the current high cost of plans, its hard to pass up). 

So given your plan is eligible, it should connect no problem. You have Data Roaming on, Great! If you goto Settings, mobile+SIM, SIM settings -- It should be set to Automatic. If not, select Automatic and you can choose Automatic or Search for networks. (Try automatic first if it is not already on automatic)

When you goto Search for Networks, you will see Rogers-EXT, sometime I see two -- select one and it should connect -- if that does not work, you will probably have to contact Rogers Support -- or you can contact me in the forums, I might (as an enthusiast, be able to help, if the issue is with the phone)

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I was working in different city.   My roaming was on but the SIM settings was not set to automatic.  I switched it to automatic.  Most of my time was in downtown Calgary so I can't say I noticed anything but a very strong signal.  I'm fairly sure Rogers has deployed more wireless spectrum in Calgary than Edmonton.  On the return trip I thought I would see the EXT on the little symbol where it normall shows the signal strenghth bars and LTE.   It remained at LTE the whole time I was on the return drive home.   I thought it didn't work.   I read your message again and reset the SIM to search.   Interestingly it bounces back to automatic when I leave the search screen but I did see Rogers-EXT.  If I selected Rogers-Ext there was no signal but when I went back to automatic there was a weak signal.     I did this in one of the worst placed in Edmonton for Roger's reception; my basement office at home.   I'm not sure what the search funtion is for other than to assure the user that extended coverage is out there.    So presumably this means it does work now.   On the weekend I'm heading out of the City again but this time to a more remote location and then I can give it a better test.   I think this means it is working now though.   This could be a deal maker as the poor reception I used to experience even a short distance from any city made me want to go elsewhere even though I actually like Rogers service.   So for now I think you got it right.  Thank you.  There's nothing like getting help from someone who has a same or similar phone.  

Below is a screen shot of the result of the search function.   This must mean it works.   What do you think?

wp_ss_20160128_0002.jpg

I'm a Regular

@Glen_B

--- Sounds like you have it working, great to hear. Since my plan is ineligible for extend coverage, when I tap on a Rogers-EXT network the phone says "Can't Connect"

I know for me it was great it worked during the trial period, I had coverage all throughout the Trans Canada Highway from Kamloops to Calgary -- and yes, I noticed a great connection in Calgary!

For the most part, I've Alberta has fairly decent overall coverage with Rogers, not too much extended coverage is needed.  Guess that has the do with the new LTE spectum (I've noticed a huge difference in getting LTE in buildings and areas with the 700 mHz now deployed). From what tech support had told me, when SIM settings is set to automatic, it will generally stay on the Rogers native network -- makes sense.

Here in BC, guess its the population gaps and the mountains, we have some pretty large highway sections and towns still without Rogers native coverage...  and while extended coverage would be nice for me, I am ineligible due to my calling circle (my10), it still is not enough for me to currently switch plans from my 6GB Super Plan ($60/mo before tax) -- So I'll be sticking with it for the foreseeable future -- and while I may not be using my 920 as much -- my new unlocked 1020 works just as great, plus the awesome camera!

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks to putting all that information out there b-ry.  I just happened to goto extended coverage area and finding this problem out with my Lumia 950XL.  I could see two rogers-ext networks but nothing would happen when I connected to them and at one point I even saw it say "forbidden" next to the network.

Guess I'm gonna try to find a telus/bell prepaid card here to at least get data connectivity on the road

I Plan to Stick Around

@ynohttna wrote:

Thanks to putting all that information out there b-ry.  I just happened to goto extended coverage area and finding this problem out with my Lumia 950XL.  I could see two rogers-ext networks but nothing would happen when I connected to them and at one point I even saw it say "forbidden" next to the network.

Guess I'm gonna try to find a telus/bell prepaid card here to at least get data connectivity on the road

I don't see the connection to the Rogers-ext but that might just be that the top left symbol doesn't have the symbol built in. I'm just guess here but since I made the change that br-y describes, my reception seems very strong.  I was out of town in a rural area on the weekend, and I never lost connectivity.   I'm assuming it works because I can connect when a month or two ago I would lose a signal at any distance from the City.   TELUS and Bell don't have signals everywhere either.

I'm Here A Lot

@Glen_B  yea thanks I checked it on telus coverage map.

for rogers ext 3g.... I see it when I manually search for networks to connect to.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This is an old topic but I now have the result I was looking for.   I was puzzled but the extended coverage and didn't understand why I wasn't seeing it.   Well the solution appears to be to visit Saskatchewan.  I drove there for the first time and while there, I saw the Extended Coverage icon and my phone worked better than it does in Alberta.  Since that trip the icon has popped up ever now and then such as when I'm in a rural area that Rogers doesn't serve.  I don't know why it took the trip to Saskatchwan to make it work but maybe I just had to get far enough away from even a faint Roger's signal for it to start working even once.    That fix doesn't make much sense but the problem is gone and that is what mattered.