cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell tower proposal approved - when will construction begin?

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor

Rogers received approval this past December 2017 from King City to install a 60m shrouded tripole cell tower in Schomberg near the Trisan Centre. Full article at link below with excerpt also below. Can a Rogers agent please let me know when construction will commence and/or approx date of when the tower is planned to go live? Thanks.

https://king.civicweb.net/document/61925

Planning Department Report Number SPR-2017-03 Re: Proposed Rogers Telecommunications Tower 25 Dillane Drive, Schomberg (Trisan Centre)
Plan 65M4163, Block 4
Part Lot 34, Concession 8 (RP65R31981 Part 1) Site Plan File #SPD-17-74
Owner: The Corporation of the Township of King Applicant: Rogers Communications
Committee considered Planning Department Report Number SPR-2017-03 to advise of an application to construct a 60 metre (197 ft.) high telecommunications tower with a fenced 9 metre by 12 metre equipment compound situated approximately 102 metres from Dillane Drive on the subject property municipally known as 25 Dillane Drive. The proposed tower is intended to provide improved wireless coverage for customers in Schomberg and the general travelling public along Highway 9.
Committee recommends that Planning Department Report Number SPR- 2017-03 be received and the recommendations therein be approved, as follows:
A. That the Township advise Industry Canada and the applicant that the Township’s Protocol for Establishing Telecommunications Facilities has been complied with in respect to a proposal to erect a 60 metre (197ft.) tri-pole structure together with a 9 metre by 12 metre fenced compound situated approximately 102 metres (335 ft.) from Dillane Drive;
B. That the Planning Department provide Industry Canada and the applicant with a copy of Site Plan Report No. SPR-2017-03.

***Added Labels***

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Cell tower proposal approved - when will construction begin?

RogersCorey

Good morning @toolcubed!

It sounds like you're excited for the improved coverage this tower will bring!

Unfortunately, due to variances between municipalities, it is difficult for us to gauge how long it will take to go from proposal to completion. Our best estimate today could be quashed tomorrow if the environmental assessment finds issue with the proposed location... for instance, look what happened at the Ottawa Blues Fest when they found a Killdeer nest on site!

I wish we could build it faster for you but these projects do take time due to all the considerations we must take.

Regards,

RogersCorey

toolcubed
I'm a senior contributor
Hi Corey. Thanks for the quick reply. I totally understand that plans and roadmaps change. However, it’s my understanding that the tough and lengthy part of the process has been completed (getting township approval). Everything else (pulling permits, and beginning construction) should happen in fairly quick succession unless the roadmap has changed again, which would be frustrating. Rogers has had plans to build a tower in this particular location since 2013, and there are a half dozen other locations nearby that have suffered the same fate. What I truly have a hard time comprehending is how Bell can deploy new towers so quickly and aggressively but Rogers can’t. For example, Bell has installed 4 new towers in my neighbourhood (Vaughan) over the last 2 years while Rogers is still telling me that they’re going thru the approval process for their towers in roughly the same locations. As a further example, Bell received approval from Vaughan City Council in January of this year (6 months ago) to build a 5th tower nearby, and it’s already under construction (concrete pedestal has been constructed and I can see the pole that will hold the antennas laying on the ground ready to be put in place)...again, they were able to start only 6 months after getting city approval, and yet here we are still waiting for Rogers towers that were promised years ago!!

I also live on Cordova Bay with poor coverage. Rogers help desk suggests there is a new tower going up (or has gone up)  2019 Q1. (still awaiting confirmation from Rogers). 

Lake of Bays Coverage

My family cottage is near the lake of bays area - I was considering looking into wireless home phone options and came across this.

https://lakeofbays.civicweb.net/document/20130

Believe it or not my cottage is actually in the small map on page 4 which means the proposed tower would be extremely beneficial in terms of coverage. 

Does anyone know the status and capabilities of the proposed tower on Page 4? Any help at all would be really appreciated!

Hello @ThomWollin!

Welcome to our Community!

That's a great question and I'll do my best to answer it in layman's terms. That tower looks like it should provide full LTE service to those in range and it is being built to be future-proofed to load new technologies as they become available.

You'd be able to get mobile data based Internet either through your phone directly or a Rocket Hub. Wireless Home Phone should theoretically work too!

Hope that helps. 🙂

Regards,

RogersCorey

jdrupert
I've been around

New Cell tower proposal , Project C8689 - Dewitt Road and Timmerman's Island, South Frontenac, Ontario. South Frontenac Council approved the project, Does anyone know if or when construction of the new tower will begin?

Good morning @jdrupert,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I appreciate your interest in the new tower proposal, however due to the nature of the process it's hard for us to provide you with a time frame. 

RogersZia

Just so you know... the Township only tellsInnovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED for short... a Federal Department), they have no issues.  The Township is not the approval authority for Cell Towers...  ISED is.

Any updates to this tower? Anyone know if it is under construction? We are hopeful it will help us over on Burridge Lake Road.

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 in conversation