Cell phone Reception issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Cell phone Reception issues

Im not new,rogers has the worst indoor reception.fact,my house and my work are a test of patience.stop being an apologist and fix this crumby reception.and stop letting jackasses reply on here with dead links and then not accept replys.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah go somewhere else is the very copout ive come to expect from rogers wireless.just keep selling your extra data and it will be ok.apologist for rogers,look good on thenresume

I'm Here A Lot

Doesn't everyone have Rogers WiFi calling?

I Plan to Stick Around

Oshawa is bad too,i should have listened before i switched.rogers wireless mantra is deny deny then would you like to buy more data.
I Plan to Stick Around

One would have to be near avaliable wifi.if im paying 100 bucks a month in a city,id expect to have proper service.

I'm a Senior Advisor

When we moved into our home in south Brooklin area near Whitby, we had no service in our home, we had to go out and stand on the driveway.  A new tower was put in to the east of us, but inside the house, we still get only 1 bar because we are in a linked house, so there are two concrete walls, 6 feet apart between our home and the tower. We often get drops, but we move around the house to get a stronger signal.

The tower to the east is a huge one, serving a huge area, but what we need is one to the east of us.  Have reported the poor service, but never had any commitment to adding a tower to the east.  it only impacts.  We live in a spot just off a swampy area of the moraine, and once you get to the moraine, it is a complete dead spot for lots of people, although there are a few homes in the area.  Just the unfortunate reality of the spot.  I have always considered things like insurance costs, and other factors, but never realized that communication would be an issue - maybe a booster is a thought. Never heard of them before - we recently had a CSR suggest a home phone wireless solution as a way to decrease some of our costs, but I said, problem is there is no stable signal in our home.

Signal is generally good in the area, but yes, in the Oshawa and Whitby area, there are some significant bad spots for all companies, due to pockets of Moraine, and protected lands where towers cannot be put in, and also neighbourhoods who have refused towers.  A local church wanted to put a internal location into their church spire, but although it would be invisible to the neighbourhood, because it was residential area, they couldn't go forward due to refusal of the home owners to agree, for what ever reason.  It is a popular church, and the neighbours are not a big fan of them due to high traffic and parking issues, so it is most likely a result of that, but many factors can impact whether antennas can be put in.

Just keep reporting it and maybe sooner or later, you will get improved coverage, or may another company does it and you get extended coverage, but make sure that you can still get Rogers most of the time.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Network aid is a great solution for reporting outages, but not of much use when coverage is poor, but at least you can see at a glance if it is outage and can report it.

The discussion of hospitals is a good one - I have experience the same - great coverage from internal celluar inside the building - why - companies marketed and sold solutions to them so that they could have access for their modern communications and monitoring solutions, switching from wifi and cellular, and allowing visitors to stay off the internal WIFI networks for security reasons, and having access to cellular - smart marketing on the compainies part who provide these solutions. Rogers is missing the boat on this area, like the celluar on the subways in Toronto too.  If they don't start soon, they will completely miss this important market - if I have to spend days on end for hospital treatment or visiting, I would go to the network that can provide the service without a blink.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have been with Rogers for 11 years now, and I rarely get poor service connections, but I will admit that my signal is poor in my house - due to nature of the design of my house we have spots that block from our local tower.  We have to move around the house, but there are poor signals from all providers in my area, depending on the location of your house.  We have swamp and moraine protected land around the area and it prevents the providers from distrituting towers in this area.  When I check netcoverage maps for any company, my home sits in EXT, but rarely does it have to click in, because I at least have one bar.

I don't view these statements as apologists - there are limitations as to where towers can go - town regulations, convservation areas, etc.  We live in residential areas, and in my town anyway, the residents within a certain distance of a tower suggestion can refuse to have it. I am just glad we now have EXTended areas of coverage ultimately removing roaming in Canada.

And you can also contact Rogers directly and let them know about dead spots, and they will look into it and consider adding coverage options.

Back to my own home - I have poor connections on WIFI too because of the home design so I have access points to expand the service.  There are wifi booster kits available that can help, but make sure you get one that has the signal frequencies of your carrier.

Technology does have limitations though.  And as I just searched, Rogers as with all companies put boosters into buildings like apartments, parking garages, subways, etc on a purchase basis to large companies and buildings.

Isn't it interesting, for me anyway, how when I first got my current home, I had no coverage from anybody in my home and could get a one bar if I held it in the right place outside - I had to go out to a certain spot in my park in the front of our house.  Now we have full bars outside, and one inside my house, and the most ugly, giant towers, one on each side of the area to get coverage to new residential areas, but still restricted by reality that there are few places that anyone can put towers (rules of conservation aeas in the region and many hidden inside of the church steeples (you still need permission), and no high buildings, so poor quality signals.

Oh well, as my daughter always says, lots of first world problems.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for taking the time to reply.im a hundred yards off the 401 corridor in oshawa,and if i didnt have wifi at home,id have extremely spotty phone service.the service is even worse at work wich is 200 yards the other side of the highway.

kinda funny,we have 3000 cell users at work,i should have asked the 'kids' who they were using,because its not rogers.im not a bell fan either but i must give credit where due,rogers wireless service is horrible in the same use compared to ma bell.

ps ,they arent using bell either,they use resonable priced data plan companys that dont use a 'sell more data' business model.

I'm a Regular

While I do agree that cell service/coverage is not perfect and certainly not wholistic by any provider (i.e. it really does depend on location), I will argue that the Bell/Telus MOCN network is better than Rogers' network IN GENERAL.  Also, Bell and Telus have had (and continue to have) more aggressive plans than Rogers at deploying indoor DAS networks in various locations for better indoor coverage and reception.  I've been with Rogers, then Bell, and now Telus.  My wife is still with Rogers.  There are indeed some locations where she has better reception than me, but I still have usable service.  There are far more locations where I have better reception than her, and there are also several locations where her service is spotty to the point where she's unable to hold a call or establish a data connection...I can't say that I've ever been in a similar situation with my Telus device although I suspect poor Bell/Telus locations do exist...it's just I tend to find Rogers has more of them.  Hey, Bell and Telus haven't won network quality awards (e.g. JD Power) for nothing 🙂