3G Nova Scotia

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: 3G Nova Scotia

I want to bring this thread back to life.

I've also been in Cape Breton for 3 weeks now, with absolutely no service. The only place to have service with Rogers near the Lake Ainslie area is in Whycocomagh; Inverness, Port Hood, Mabou, and all the surrounding areas have absolutely nothing. It's been 9 years now since I moved away, and I'm always very disapointed when I come back and there still isnt any coverage, while CDMA phones have proper signal through Bell.

I been a Rogers costumer since 1998 (!) and am considering switching carriers just for this reason. I also miss coverage driving throughout British Columbia. Very very disapointing.

Also, for some odd reason, my mother (who is visiting from switzerland with an old SG2 through swisscom) is getting full bars through bell. Swisscom is GSM. How could she be getting signal??

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Because your mom's Swisscom phone is roaming on Bell's HSPA+ network. Bell doesn't only have a CDMA network. They also have HDPA+ and LTE (same network types as Rogers). You'll get much better service in the maritimes (and in the rest of the country, generally speaking) with Bell/Telus. I'm sorry, but anyone who believes Rogers has a better network (especially in the maritimes) is delusional 🙂

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

OP, looks like you might actually start getting service where you are.  Still not sure how this will work exactly, but it's definitely a step in the right direction!

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/01/06/canadian-carriers-using-domestic-roaming-agreements-to-fill-in-cov...

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have Summer place on the Eastern Shore, in the Sheet Harbour area.  Every summer I have to spend inflated rates for Bell/Aiant pay-as-you-go service.  Each summer, I hope Rogers have extended coverage to this area, as it appears to be the largest gap in their service area; certainly coast line.  In a recent live chat with a Rogers representative, I was informed the service now extends to Tangier, however the maps outlined serviced areas doesn't show coverage extending east of Musquodoboit Harbour.  Can anyone tell me if service has extended to Tangier?

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Welcome to the forums @kerry_kj !

From what I can see I’d have to agree with you. The coverage map does not show availability in Tangier http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless_network?searchid=1424640914053. I am not sure if the live chat agent is privy to information that we are not. Would it be possible to perhaps reach out to someone you might know in the area to confirm this?

Or does anyone in the community know of anyone within that area who could shed some light?

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

I am originally from Sydney N.S. Born and raised in the Pier. So i do know how tough it is for the Island to get solid wireless coverage. You do have to realize our Beloved Cape Breton is one of the most High and low land areas in the country, 20 minutes outside of sydney, say in New Waterford the service is ok. Not fantastic but ok. Most people don't realize that big giant body of water called the Harbour, and the Ocean is right around us. Weather conditions and sometimes relief comes into effect with tower coverage in areas, I know in Sydney its descent, sometimes great, but remember 30 mins outside Sydney is still what we consider Rural, so yea, the coverage can be very spotty.

Another thing to consider is population areas. I know its alot bigger than it was when i left home way back in 87. But i went home in 2014 and i had no issues in most areas, only ones really close to the ocean or in areas where coverage is pretty much impossible to get land to build a tower. 

Remember towers cost millions of dollars to build, so yes they may be spread out in those areas, but we use EXT coverage with our partners to cover alot of those areas. I would use the new Network Aid Tool in the my rogers app to check coverage and confirm in an area you will be travelling to to check the coverage before going. 

If the coverage isn't great or non existant, check the EXT coverage in Netowrk aid and it should tell you if one of our partners covers that area, you should still get coverage. 

I will be going home in 2017 for another wonderful trip and I hope you all have an awesome time in Good Old Cape Breton.

🙂

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Well now you can check coverage yourself through the Rogers my account app using Network Aid. Just put in a postal code or the GPS coords, and you can see the coverage in real time in the area. Network Aid shows all the coverage modes and towers if they are under maintenance. Also if you have an issue connecting in this area as well you can actually report it through the app. We get these notifications in our version of the tool and it helps us help you.

How do you do it?

Just launch the MyRogers APP on your phone and right away after logging in click on the menu on the top left, the 3 horizontal lines, then click on help and support. Then click on Network Aid.

if you have location services/Cellular data on when on Cellular it triangulates your position and then gives you the coverage in your exact location in real time.

Pretty Awesome app