TV Authentication

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TV Authentication

Hello @Sbesteman,

Welcome to the Community Forums, and thanks for reaching out.

At this time, the NHL app requires TV authentication to bypass regional blackouts.  Unfortunately, as stated previously, TV authentication is only available for Android and iOS operating systems.  Apple TV runs on tvOS and is currently not compatible with TV authentication. 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

RogersShaun

I've Been Here Awhile

I can't believe there hasn't been a solution to this yet. Surely others must be unbelievably frustrated as well.
Did anyone who logged a ticket for further support/escalation receive any help? Using Android in Winnipeg; I don't have an iPhone to try it on.

Good evening & welcome to the Community @Jets1,

I realize this is definitely frustrating for hockey lovers. May I know what Android device are you using? 

RogersZia

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm using S7 Edge, and the most up to date version of the app, and phone OS.

Hello @Jets1,

May you please send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps with the Public IP Address of the affected device, the email address you use to log in, your postal code and the games that you are trying to watch that appear to be blacked out so we can have this escalated.

For more information on our private messaging system check out our blog.

RogersZia

I Plan to Stick Around

I created a ticket about the issue and all I ever received was the usual canned response that they were escalating the issue and would get back to me. Eventually, I gave up.

Here's what I speculate is happening. You have the broadcast rights holders for the teams and the NHL which have decided to have blackout restrictions. Then we have Rogers which has the rights to the streaming service in Canada, plus the company that runs the streaming services for the NHL, Major League Baseball Advanced Media (https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-to-team-with-major-league-baseball-on-streaming-app-cable-tv-channel/c-...). I'm guessing this has probably led to a bunch of different parties pointing the finger at each other and no one wanting to pay the to fix the issue. And add to that, there probably aren't too many of us users demanding the feature be fixed. Again, this is all wild speculation.

Whether or not my speculations are correct, the fix in my mind is simple. Get rid of the blackout restrictions and then there is no need for TV Authentication. But, I doubt that will happen until the NHL thinks it can make more money by streaming services alone.

Hi @bontux!

If you didn't receive a response that indicated the issue was resolved, I can look into the ticket for you and find out what happened. I don't want to you to be left hanging like this!

Please PM us @CommunityHelps and I'll investigate. If you're not familiar with how to PM, please follow this link for instructions: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/blogs/blogarticlepage/blog-id/CommunityBlog/article-id/535

Regards,

RogersCorey