Stream Saver

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Stream Saver

Looks like there is a new feature that you can enable via the MYROGERS settings for your Share Everything plan.

Stream Saver allows you to set, on a line by line basis, that at least for some of the most common apps (youtube, twitch, etc) it will throttle the streams down to a lower definition, to save on the data used for streaming.

Might be helpful for kids lines, who may do a lot more video streaming a lot of the time, which can eat up usage quickly.

***EDITED LABELS***

Re: Stream Saver

Hello, @Gdkitty

Thank you for observing the new feature, Stream Saver which started rolling out yesterday to Share Everything plan customers via Rogers.com/MyRogers. Stream Saver integrates within the existing Worry-free Data Management functions.  It's a nice feature which allows customers to adjust video streaming to Standard Definition on a line-per-line basis as you have pointed out. 

@Community - any thoughts on the new Stream Saver feature?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm a Senior Advisor

This is a great feature - beats the current practice, which is you can set streaming restrictions on things like Facebook, youtube, netflix, and others individually in your accounts.

This makes it easier for management of data use.  In effect, it gives us our own personal throttling system.

Now, if these data management features were made available to all data purchasers, including the people who have individual accounts with limited data caps, not just the share everything customers.

We need to benefit from data management tools as much as share everything - we like to manage our own personal data, and don't need share everything because we have no one to share to, so we choose cheaper more restricted packages.

Just a suggestion.  Can't remember where the idea section of the Forum is.  If someone can remind me, I will post the suggestion there.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Also noticed that there is a much clearer description of the costs of top ups for those of us who don't have share everything data management tools.

A box is present showing the 4 levels of top ups, two one time, and two recurring, a send text box for the number you send to get top ups, and the explanation of how to cancel/stop a recurring top up.

Nice to see Rogers adding more tools for us to easily understand how to best manage our data and other cell phone services.

Now these are things that demonstrate a commitment to the "customer experience" and recognizing that users want simple, easily understood features to monitor and manage our account features.

Good additions to see.

Bruce

I've Been Around

Can anyone confirm that this feature actually works? I'm hearing mixed reports that those who activated Stream Saver and watched Youtube videos didn't have the quality default to 480p. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

That is an excellent question - I am not sure how you would actually check it though - does youtube or netflix allow you to see on screen what resolution you are on while watching.

I know you can go into your youtube account or netflix account and it will show your default choice, and that would still stay the same, even though the stream is being throttled by choice using this model.

I can't test for it myself because I don't have share everthing tools as I have individual accounts in  our family.

Does anyone know how one would confirm just what resolution was being streamed to you when you put the restriction in place.

Bruce

I'm Here A Lot

Does stream saver change settings on wifi too or just cellular data use?

Hello, @Jenn17236

I appreciate posting your query in the Community. It's a good dilemma, however, Stream Saver only applies to the videos streamed over the cellular network.

The videos streamed over the WiFi connection are not affected. If you’re streaming HD video while on the WiFi connection, that content will be in HD even if you have turned on the Stream Saver. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Around

How does Stream Saver work?

Is there a lag when Stream Saver is converting/processing from HD to standard quality?

Is Rogers running the feed through a system that strips down the quality, or is the app simply looking for lower quality feeds when HD is selected or the default?

Thank you,

Gem 

Hello, @gembaysan

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your queries in the Community. There would be no lag as the Stream Saver stream content that it recognizes as video in standard instead of high definition quality (where available). Stream Saver may not be able to recognize all video content; unrecognized higher resolution video will continue to stream at its normal speed and resolution. You can check all the data management related FAQs to know more about the Stream Saver feature. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Get Ready!
Ask an Expert: IGNITE TV Part II
JOIN US: November 5, 6, & 7
Start: November 5th 10AM ET
End: November 7th 6PM ET

We're back with another Ask an Expert!!
JOIN US

For three straight days we will have exclusive access to some of Ignite TV's best Program Managers. They will be here taking your questions LIVE!

Topic Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 in conversation