Sportsnet feed skipping pre season hockey

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Sportsnet feed skipping pre season hockey

Been noticing a lot of lag/skipping on the sportsnet live feed i have the CODA-4582 modem.. if its on TSN its fine just seems like any sportsnet feed, does it on the NHL website too if the game is from sportsnet feed

***Edited Labels***

Re: Sportsnet feed skipping pre season hockey

Good morning @undertaker9081,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for the post.

I know how skipping/lagging can disrupt the live feed experience. I see you specifically mentioned CODA, was the service working fine for you before you switched your modem? Do you notice a lag or skip while streaming anything else as well? Is this issue specific to the browser or have you encountered it on other devices as well?

Any other CODA 4582 users experiencing anything similar?

RogersZia

I've Been Here Awhile

seems to be on windows 10 I have 2 different laptops running windows 10 and a Nexus 6P phone the phone seems fine no lagging, both laptops lag i tried different browsers as well same issue

Hello, @undertaker9081

It's good to know that there is no lag on the Nexus 6P phone, is it connecting to the 5 GHz network? I appreciate trying different browsers on the laptops.  How are the laptops connected to the Internet?

Thanks,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello, I have experienced this problem exactly with Chrome on a desktop more than capable of displaying the content. The problem persisted through the season on every game including archived games.  There is a constant video lag or skip, with audio as well, every few seconds, but playing the video at lower quality does not help.  I got the same poor results on Firefox, Opera and Edge, although Edge comes closest to working.  I used a different, even more powerful, desktop, bypassed my router and tried the wireless connection, all showed the same issue.

I realized the TSN games in preseaon were neutral site games with no on-page stats displayed below the video.  And those games were the only ones that played fine.

After weeks of frustrating troubleshooting, eliminating all other options, I finally found a way using the developer tools in Chrome to block the display of the onpage stats.  Perfect video display was the result. 

I can't tell you why that script that is causing video display problems, but I know that it is. It would be nice if you fixed this so I can use the full product I'm paying for, but in the meantime, I managed to hack my browser to make it work. 

Greetings @CathyM!

Welcome to our Community! 

That's some amazing detective work. I really appreciate you taking the time to come here and share it with us Smiley Happy

If you don't mind, could you provide the steps you took to disable the on screen stats in greater detail? It could help out fellow Community members workaround this issue while we work on a permanent fix in the meantime. 

We're going to test it from here and pass it along to make sure the developers are aware. Thanks again!

Regards,

RogersCorey

I've Been Here Awhile

That's a fairly complex thing. Workarounds are never the first choice to solve a problem. Find out why this bug exists at source. But, I used a Chrome extension that blocks HTTP requests and figured out the URL pattern of the server that the stats are hosted on. This will only work as long as that URL doesn't change, and I don't know if it's the same for every region. You find that URL pattern by looking at the XHR traffic in developer tools. If that all makes sense to you, then you can likely repeat accomplish this fix.

Now. Why isn't this an option for users to just turn that stuff off? Why can't a user simply have the choice to play just the video player and have nothing else on a page? That would help make your product work better for people without high-end computers or internet connections.

Hi @CathyM,

Thanks again for the feedback!

We're always looking for ways to improve our services, so we'll be sure to pass this info along. 

Enjoy the rest of the season!

RogersShaun