Spoofing Rogers attempt

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Spoofing Rogers attempt

Really.. personally in my opinion.. if ANY company was to put out annoucements about any possible spoof, etc.. they would be putting them out DAILY/ALL the time.   There is ALWAYS something going on.. if its not bad guy A, its bad guy B.

Best anyone can do, is be SMART, and arm themselves with the knoledge of what to look for.

A ) Spelling - Not always the case.. but MANY of them are badly translated stuff, so that can be a first give away.

B ) Links - Be leary of links PERIOD.  But one also way to to double/tripple check the links.  make sure its not a close miss spelling, or something completely different in the address part.  Most browsers.. even if the TEXT of the link looks correct, the underlaying link is different.. if you hover your mouse over it, you will often get a message at the bottom of the browser with what the actual link goes to.

C) View Source of email - This one is a little tougher.. but can be a good tool.  Most email programs you can view the source.. this gives you ALL the header information on where the mail was sent from, etc.  You can often find what email it was sent from, and also will give the source SERVER it was sent from (either by name or IP address).  You can do a lookup by IP address on the internet and find out where its comming from, etc.

I'm a Regular

Okay so I received a scam email supposedly from Rogers, it went to spam folder.  I know it's a scam because it states my last payment was declined when I can and did easily check that my last payment was processed.

So really all I want to know is...do I do anything with it?  I mean do I report the scam email to Rogers?  Or to anyone else?  Or can I just ignore it?

I will copy paste the email as well, just because I guess....

Dear Customer,

We recently wrote to inform you that your last payment was declined. This is your second notice. We were unable to process your payment for your Rogers Service.

You must update your billing information immediately in order to avoid any interruption to your services.

You can update your billing information online simply by clicking the link below:

Here you can update contact information, view your billing statements, update / change your payment method and change your price plan anytime.
Date: February 23 2015

You've received this email based on your update for Rogers.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@ that is clearly a scam. When I get spam or scam emails I forward them as attachments to my ISP and they get added to the spam database. It's been some time since we've been able to communicate with Rogers by email (unless a Rogers rep contacts us first). However, at the bottom of the page there are links to reach Rogers. Apparently Rogers Facebook and Twitter are good places to get bring attention to problems.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

As I said in replying to JimBoden, not everyone has the same level of knowledge and experience that experts have in detecting fake emails. I tried to ask this Community if the email below was legitimate as there was no area on the Rogers website that provided me with any examples or FAQs on this subject.  I tried to suggest a systemic solution that would make Rogers clients more aware of these phishing, spoofing and scam attempts, but to no avail. Sadly, I suspect no action will ever be taken to make vulnerable clients more knowledgeable on this subject.  

--- Example of Fake email ---

It has came to our attention that your billing information is out of date. To ensure that your service will not be interrupted, please update your billing information as soon as possible.

To update your billing information, click: Sign into MyRogers. Once you have signed in you will be asked to update your billing information.

This communication is confidential. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at www.rogers.com/web/content/emailnotice.

Ce message est confidentiel. Notre transmission et réception de courriels se fait strictement suivant les modalités énoncées dans l’avis publié à www.rogers.com/aviscourriel

I don't believe you got an answer to your specific question.

Revenue Canada suggests the following:

For information on scams, to report deceptive telemarketing, or if you have given personal or financial information unwittingly, contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

You can view the rest of the Revenue Canada information here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/ntcs/bwr-eng.html

Another good site where the types of scams are described is here: 

http://www.barclays.co.uk/Helpsupport/FinancialScams/P1242561788639

I hope this helps.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Good information. But I don't think is should be up to the customer to sniff out all the scams masquerading as Rogers. Rogers should take an active role in collecting information on these from customers and passing on the information. Every spoof attempt makes Rogers security look bad.

Again I'll say they easiest way to prevent these type of scams is for Rogers to make a policy of never putting "live links" in their emails. That way if an email comes in  that says "click here" to go to your Rogers site or anywhere else you would know that it is not from Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would have to agree with Jays77.

The most rogers can really do, is say "we will not put links in our emails, so any email with a link is not ours".

There is not alot that many people can do to 'stop' these sorts of things.  You can block an IP or email address that is sending them from the network, etc for email, sure.
But most places set up to do these things, are eithe rotating them, can switch them easy, or are using stolen addresses or hacked machines to send them out...
one gets blocked, they move onto the next.

Spam, and spoofing attemts are one of the bigest/hardest things to deal with.

Many places now are even doing things to BYPASS spam world filters. 
you make it look official... as an IMAGE.  Which the word scanner cant catch stuff off of, etc.

I just got a call (on my Home Phone) from  "Mike" who claimed to be with the Rogers Promotion Department. I asked "Mike" if he was actually working for Rogers and he said yes.  I told "Mike" I was having difficulty hearing him as there was a lot of background noise and that I wanted to know where he was calling from.  He said that my question was inappropriate.  So, I asked him for a phone number to call him back but he said he couldn't provide one. I then asked him if I could find this promotion on the Rogers web site and he told me that he could provide bundled services at a cheaper price than that on the Rogers web site.  I asked him why, if he worked for Rogers, was he selling bundled services for less than Rogers was offering on their web site.

At this point  "Mike" asked me  "Why are you wasting my time" and hung up on me.   

I am posting this information because others may get the same call and there is no information on the Rogers web site informing clients about this kind of activity.  It is obviously a scam. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Sometimes it's hard to determine whether a telemarketer is actually working for Rogers or is a freelance scammer. The accent or country of origin is irrelevant. I've had good interaction with Rogers reps who spoke with a strong accent, but were helpful and easily understandable. The last Rogers rep I spoke with sounded like a born and bred Canadian, but when I asked, she said she was in the Philippines. She was extremely helpful.

We hear every day about scammers who claim to be with Microsoft, or some well-known computer company. It looks like Rogers isn't immune to impersonators. If you have call display you may begin to recognize bogus numbers. I've lately noticed telemarketers that falsely display a local number to try and entice you to pick up.