Spoofing Rogers attempt

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Spoofing Rogers attempt

I received the message below yesterday:

Rogers doesn't seem to provide any information or warnings of recent scams or spoofing on their website. Can anyone tell me where do you go to find out to confirm that this is not legitimate. Obviously I didn't click the link but went to My Account via the web.  It would be nice to check on this kind of Rogers spoofing somewhere.

It has came to our attention that your billing information is out of date. To ensure that your service will not be interrupted, please update your billing information as soon as possible.

To update your billing information, click: Sign in to My Rogers. Once you have signed in you will be asked to update your billing information.

This communication is confidential. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out at www.rogers.com/web/content/emailnotice.

Ce message est confidentiel. Notre transmission et réception de courriels se fait strictement suivant les modalités énoncées dans l’avis publié à www.rogers.com/aviscourriel

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Spoofing Rogers attempt

Hi @User14 

Some general tips about emails from Rogers. The email you mentioned was definitely not a legitimate email.

• If an email looks like an official Rogers communication, but is asking for suspicious or confidential information, don’t respond to it.
  • Rogers will never ask for your credit card number, personal information or password by email.
  • To protect yourself against potential scams:
    • Be aware of emails asking for your credit card, account number, or personal information like user names or passwords.
    • Never respond to emails asking you to click on an embedded link to validate or confirm your details.
    • Never respond to scare tactics such as threats that your account will expire if you don't respond, or promises that your computer memory will be increased if you do.
Retired Moderator RogersMichaelB
Retired Moderator

Great feedback! @RogersShaun

@User14, if anytime you are uncertain about any message or advertising, it’s always good to contact the Canadian AntI-Fraud Centre at http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/english/index.html.

Take a quick look at this thread here: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/GeneralCareSupport/message-id/12....

There might be some useful info! 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@User14 wrote:

I received the message below yesterday:

To update your billing information, Once you have signed in you will be asked to update your billing information.

This communication is confidential. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set out.

Ce message est confidentiel. Notre transmission et réception de courriels se fait strictement suivant les modalités énoncées dans l’avis publié.

If those are the actual links in the email, they do not look genuine, not anywhere else. Usually you'll see something else in the URL. Then, when I click My Account, it takes me to where I go when I log in to My Rogers and there's even a padlock at the beginning of the URL. And I'm not asked to update my billing information.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Just to reiterate, under no circumstances will we ask for personal information via email.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't believe any of you mods answered user14's question or confirmed whether the email he quoted was legit. Just go back to the post and click the live links in the email. What do you see?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is something a little strange about that first link.  It takes you to a Singapore address, not the rogers address.  OLDYELLR, can you remove that link please. 

If you look at the top of the page and copy the link to sign into MyRogers, it comes up as this:

https://www.rogers.com/web/RogersServices.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=SETH?setLanguage=en&setProvin...

You actually end up here:

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/signin

The last two links on that email take you here, which look legit:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/emailnotice

http://www.rogers.com/aviscourriel

So, something isn't right with the first link.  Delete, delete.......

@OLDYELLR in my original response to the thread I said that the email in question was definitely not legitimate.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. You are giving me a lot of information like :- where to report abuse etc. etc. and :- don't respond to threats, etc. etc.

I also got a reply below from Rogers Management Office along the same lines (see below) but what I was really trying to ask was where do you find information on these Rogers spoofing attempts? There must be lots of examples. Should I report the email I got using the "report abuse" URL that was provided?

Does anyone track these things or keep an inventory of them where a newbie or non-nerd can check to see if they are legitimate? Believe me when I say that people click on these links rather than checking. I tried to locate info on this spoof online but there doesn't appear to be any information on recent scam or spoofing attempts anywhere. The info could be there like the "report abuse" URL but I just can't find it when I tried searching for current spoofing information. Perhaps spoofing is considered abuse and I should simply reporting it there. But is there a URL that allows you to "report a scam/spoof" in the same way? I could then go to a bulletin board that says: "See the latest spoof/scam".   I guess I am asking a few questions, but I hope it is clearer now what I am actually looking for. Maybe this capability doesn't exist yet.  Advise please.

Cheers.

--//--

Thank you for your submission. I understand that you have concerns about a message you had received as to whether this is a legitimate Rogers email or if it is spam. We can certainly review this concern with you.

If an email looks like an official Rogers's communication, but is asking for suspicious or confidential information, don't respond to it. Rogers will never ask for your credit card number, personal information or password by email.

To protect yourself against potential scams:

- Be aware of emails asking for your credit card, account number, or personal information like user names or passwords.

- Never respond to emails asking you to click on an embedded link to validate or confirm your details.

- Never respond to scare tactics such as threats that your account will expire if you don't respond, or promises that your computer memory will be increased if you do.

How to Report Spam:

If you have a Rogers Yahoo! account submit a report using these steps:

1. Go to rogers.my.yahoo.com
  2. Click My Account.
  3. Click Help in the top right corner.
  4. Click Internet Abuse (located at the bottom of the page under Safety and Security heading).
  5. Follow instructions.

If you don't have a Rogers Yahoo! Account you can use the following link, and use an alternate e-mail address to submit your concern:

http://secure.rogershelp.com/yahoo/contact/abuse/php/

For this specific email you received, it seems that it is asking you to click on the "Sign in to My Rogers" to log into the page. We recommend that if there is any type of question about these type of things to go to Rogers.com and log into My Rogers on your own to determine if the steps provided are accurate. We hope this helps address your concern.

Please let us know if you require any further information in regard to this.

Thank you,

Rogers Management Office

Thanks. I see that someone had the same type of question.

"Just got a request to do a Rogers survey. Is it real?" 

These spoofs can be harmful for the unwary. Illegitimate emails should be identified and highlighted when they use the Rogers logo. Banks seem to be able to put in a little message centre icon on their web site when you log in which contains important info. Perhaps Rogers can post a message the same way when they are being illegally used to spoof users into giving away their personal or Rogers information.