cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Smart Home app only works with Data

samaursa
I've been here awhile

Hello,

This issue has been there for at least 2 years now (probably more). A LOT of people complain that the app does not work at all and I am fairly certain it's because of this issue. I have tried this on multiple different Wifis (i.e. my home, somebody else's home, hotspots on the airport or coffee shops and even homes in the USA!) and tested on multiple phones (Moto G Fast, LG G6, Nexus 6, Samsung Galaxy S6, Moto G Power). The only time it works is if I log in when I only have data.

Even then, I first have to close the app, then turn off wifi and open it back up again.

Here's 2 screenshots, taken a few seconds apart (check the time on the top right) where you can see that if I am connected to Wifi, the app thinks I do not have an internet connection:

Capture_2020-12-13-15-34-45.png

Now, I must close the app, and then turn off Wifi. And as soon as I turn OFF my Wifi and switch to Data, I am able to connect (again, see the time).

Capture_2020-12-13-15-35-12.png

I suspect that for all the people for whom the app does NOT work on Android, this is probably the issue.

It is very annoying, very inconvenient and probably the source of the app having a 1.4 out of 5 score on the app store.

It would be great if the devs fixed this issue. The app itself is good.

***Added Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Rogers Smart Home app only works with Data

RogersTony

Hello, @samaursa

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and congratulations on your first post! 🙂

We appreciate you posting your concern here in the community. I know how important it is to stay connected to your Smart Home Monitoring app via both WiFi and LTE data.

You have provided some compelling evidence, thanks so much for the screen shots. I was unable to replicate this specific issue on my end, I have tested on a Samsung S7 Edge and a Note 9 with both connected via WiFi and the SHM app did not give me the connection error.

Are there any other Smart Home Monitoring customers in the community that are noticing connectivity errors when trying to connect to the app on WiFi? @Gdkitty - Have you noticed this specific issue with your SHM app?

RogersTony

Unfortunately, I am not an android user, and run mine on Apple.
The apple one appears to work fine both on wifi (internal at the house, as well as other wifi), at least on my device.

It does not work at my work, but thats THEIR firewall bocking it making a secure connection.

The phone itself, it has been OS updated to the latest available?  As well as the APP updated?
With not just rogers apps, but any on the phone in general, when i start running into contestant errors (more than just a short one which might be a service outage, etc), first thing I look at is if there is an update to the app, where there often is (probably to FIX the issue)

samaursa
I've been here awhile

Thank you both for your reply.

All phones are up to date. I also suspected that maybe it's the age of the phones, but then we got the Moto G Fast which is a brand new phone and that showed the same issue.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation