cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Anyplace TV

Chanson01
I've Been Here Awhile

The feature to watch a recorded program from the Digital Video Recorder (DVR) using the Rogers Anyplace TV App on the iPad does not work. Has anyone else had this experience? How can this be resolved?

***Edited Labels***

391 REPLIES 391

Re: Rogers Anyplace TV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I just went to Anyplace using Chrome on my computer and wanted to search for possible upcoming programming on the Hollywood Suite channels.  Unfortunately, those channels, which are currently on free preview, are not in my guide since I don't subscribe. Rogers, please fix the guide so that it in fact shows "all channels" when that dropdown is used and not only my subscribed channels.   What's the use of having the dropdown if it doesn't work?

I mentioned that earlier in my (review) link in the post above, however, I didn't realize that it was actually going to be an issue for me this soon.  I guess I'm off to use my iPad again.  Pain in the butt when I'm already on my computer, or if my wife is using the iPad.

Hey @57,

I was actually trying the same thing as you recently and resorted back to using my Home Edition app to scan the guide.  

At the moment, it would appear that Anyplace is only available for channels currently in a subscription package, as per the FAQ page under "What channels are available to me through Anyplace TV".  I have a feeling this may change once the ability to manage PVR is added.  Stay tuned!

RogersShaun

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

Since the new Anyplace TV was introduced, I have been totally frustrated. As yet, there is still no ability to manage your PVR. We still get the message "coming soon". I think that Roger's definition of "coming soon" must be different than my own. Just as frustrating is the guide - difficult to navigate, program descriptions not available, and many channels not even shown. So today, I decided that somewhere out there in Internet land, there must me something better than the guide offered by rogers, which I have concluded is pretty much a non-functional guide. A little search revealed this one, where you can search by day and time, has a pretty good search function, and where scrolling down to a desired channel is relatively simple - all things not found in the new Anyplace TV guide. 

http://www.canada.com/entertainment/television/tv-listings/index.html#f=grid

If anyone has other guides that they would like to share, it would be much appreciated. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersShaun wrote:

Hey @57,

At the moment, it would appear that Anyplace is only available for channels currently in a subscription package, as per the FAQ page under "What channels are available to me through Anyplace TV". 

The FAQ actually states:

...any channel you’d like to watch on Anyplace TV must be available to you as part of a TV package, Theme Pack or Standalone you’ve subscribed to.

I don't want to watch it. I just want it to be in my guide so that I can see what's on.  I would have thought that Rogers would want all the channels to be shown (like they are in the IPG), so that when people see a programme they want, they will subscribe to the channel resulting in additional revenue. If you can't see it, Rogers won't be selling any additional programming/channels. Please take that to your managers... 

Hey @57 & @Dugi,

Thanks for the feedback! We appreciate the suggestions.

Have a great night!

RogersShaun

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I wanted to reiterate what the others have said.

The whole presentation of this model as (channels you can watch), versus what many of used our access to PVR so that we could see what shows were coming up and schedule our recordings, has created nothing but confusion.

Sure, there is the document speaking of what has changed, but this change is a dramatic change from what was available and we actively used for almost over a year, after going through the change over when it all fell apart and changed with the Navigatr implementation.

Now, for me, I can understand what I can and can't watch, but I am asking for a direct and straight up answer from the teams to the moderators to clarify - what is the definition of coming soon.

We are coming on two months now, and I have to be honest - saying coming soon, is to me like saying, someday.

No one will come forward and say has it been delayed, is there an estimated date, and each person has been coming here to get clarification on devices, whether they have a settop box to qualify where they could watch some things without before, what browsers does it run on, many different issues.

Yes, it is all mostly in the announcements on the blog, or on the page when you go to Anyplace Tv about a week after the imlementation, but it reflects how the company does not advise customers in advance and clearly describe what you gain, what you lose, you have to interpret this often.

Communication is a bit better this time, but still has a lot to improve.

But bottom line for me is the following - when will the bug of no vertical scroll bar be implemented - not a major programming step - requires about 2 lines of code to turn it on.

When will we get the manage our PVR back again.  I do know that based upon communication with the management team that it was decided to go foward with the Comcast apps as they were going to have to dedicate too many resources to integrate the old features of all browsers, and the Manage PVR into the Comcast apps, so they chose not to as a decision to move forward on the Comcast features and that the lost features for us who work on multiple browsers, and rely on our web browser interface to manage our PVR would have to wait, and that the Home app was left as a work aroung - it is not a Comcast App.

This is the identical approach that Comcast Xfinity used with its customer base in that they did remove the manage your PVR from the feature set of their streaming web pc app, and have never returned it, as they are relying mostly on the cloud PVR and the full Comcast model, and the old model, although still in place by their customer base is not a priority - learned this from reading their forums - they at least were straight and honest that is what they are doing and from a relative who lives in the states and refuses to use the full comcast model as it costs more money and doesn't fit their viewing lifestyle.

So in conclusion - an honest full update on "coming soon" for all browser types, and "coming soon" when will the manage PVR come to the browser on PC on AnyPlace TV and what is it going to look like and how will it function?

These are not suggestions, these are honest requests from a frustrated customer who is not getting answers to these two basic questions which others have asked.

Anyplace TV had two functions in the past - manage our PVR and stream live media, and they claim they improved our experience (if you streamed, some have questioned this claim, I don't stream), but for those of us who use manage PVR, this is a complete step back in frunctionality.

So all this is is a question - when will we hear more, or will it just show up.  An update would be lovely.

Bruce

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Each day I check RAPTV on Chrome to see if the PVR feature has been implemented. So far nothing. If there are professional web developers working on this, it must be costing a fortune.

As for the Chrome RAPTV Guide, I thought it was subscribed channels you could watch live.  TLC (Ch 34) is part of my VIP, but when I click on it I get

Sorry! This content can only be viewed on your Rogers home Internet network.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

@BS

This whole Anyplace TV has gotten beyond frustrating. It is just downright terrible. We rely on this when we are out of town. We will be in Florida in January and February. We completely rely on the "Manage PVR" feature to program our PVR during that time. I have got to the point where I am beyond disgusted with rogers for not providing any updates on this issue, as well as their reluctance to even comment. Two months later and still seeing "COMING SOON - Soon you'll be able to manage your recordings from your desktop and mobile devices. But for now, you can still use the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app to record your favourites." ROGERS - THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for the posts by all on this same issue - coming soon begins to be tiresome, two months in, and nobody will speak to it.  We all have the history of this same identical issue of removing Manage PVR from the last time around.  This is the topic of this same thread 2 years ago, so maybe Rogers needs to give some respect to those of us who are asking, and I am sorry, when we have further information we will let you know, and coming soon, although that is really all the moderators, and the website can provide to us, but how about a little respect for the customer and just tell us what is going on.

If it wasn't a complete repeat of what was done to us in the Navigatr implementation related to Manage PVR, maybe I would be a little more patient, if I hadn't been told that it was a deliberate decision that made technical sense to go ahead with the Comcast apps, waiting to get the Manage PVR and all Browsers in place implemented and tested first did not make sense, that they needed to keep going forward, and even simple programming errors, that no one will go in and do the simple programming fix that is required (why do I say simple, because I know the code for vertical scroll bar is set at the top of the web page and it was not written in on the viewport - for the programmers - that is screen layout 101, written on each web page here is the code you have forgotten:

The programming team could at least show they are listening by taking care of this one minor gap - yes these happen, but you have been made aware of it, it is an easy fix, make it look like you are listening if you won't tell us anything on coming soon, or other browsers.

It just continues to perpetuate that Rogers does not work with quality programming and testing when I see things like this.

Plus FYI, I said this before - XFINITY/Comcast does not have manage PVR on their web site either and directs their customers to the app as Rogers currently does, which means it is not a feature of the regular Comcast model - Rogers will need to program it in - the coding and database exist already as the app has to interface to it, so they will need to write it, or is the worst case scenario that they will just wait out until Comcast is fully in place and we will have the app only?  When we don't get answers, we start researching and guessing.

Bruce  See coding example for scroll bar below -

CSS3 overflow-y Property

Example

Clip the top/bottom edges of the content inside the <div> element - if it overflows the element's content area:

div {
    overflow-y: hidden;
}

Here is the browser suppport:  note that CSS and Java are universal across these browsers (exception is Opera)

Browser Support

The numbers in the table specify the first browser version that fully supports the property.

Numbers followed by -ms-, specify the first version that worked with a prefix. 

Property  Chrome explorerand edge Firefox  Safari  Opera
overflow-y4.09.0
8.0 -ms-

Options list:
Value Description Play it
visibleDefault value. The content is not clipped, and it may be rendered outside the content box 
hiddenThe content is clipped - and no scrolling mechanism is provided 
scrollThe content is clipped and a scrolling mechanism is provided 
autoShould cause a scrolling mechanism to be provided for overflowing boxes 
initialSets this property to its default value. Read about initial 
inheritInherits this property from its parent element. Read about inherit
Definition and Usage

The overflow-y property specifies what to do with the top/bottom edges of the content - if it overflows the element's content area.

Tip: Use the overflow-x property to determine clipping at the left and right edges.

Default value:Inherited:Animatable:Version:JavaScript syntax: 
visible
no
no. Read about animatable
CSS3

object.style.overflowY="scroll"

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

I still cant decide whether this is a) technical incompetence; b) management incompetence; c) some subtle strategy that's not apparent to mere mortals; d) all of the above.  Mainly I lean to b.

We have two basic issues here.  Disconnect of PVR functionality in the web app.     And Browser non-support (for viewing as well as PVR control).

I've tended to talk about using web app on desk top because that's what I do but of course the web browser issue applies to lap tops and I suspect that's a much bigger number of users than desk top users.

Subtle strategies?  Perhaps they see a future where everything is live streamed (at a premium of course) from "on demand" channels, and PVR s go the way of the VCR.   No recording of broadcast channels (yes Virginia once upon a time there was free broadcast TV) to skip over commercials or time shift.   So eventually no PVR control in Mobile App either.  My concern is in this case, unlike some others, the future may not be as close as they think.   Partly because of the aggressive pricing of a lot of the content, and partly because the PVR actually does the job quite well (except for the issues we're griping about here).

That still doesn't explain the bizarre decision to launch with support for only one browser (which is why (b) gets the nod).

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

It has been a month since the last post on this topic of browsers and manage PVR.

I have done general researching on the Internet via Google and websites for Shaw, Xfinity, Rogers, Cox Communications, all who are using various components of the Comcast models.

On the topic of browsers, there are triggers in the Xfinity implementation on PC that suggest to the viewer that if the issue trigger comes up, consider waiting, or try Chrome, but having said that, on all implementations for these four companies, except for Rogers, they support all popular browsers.  I would suspect that in their need to push out the comcast apps to support the engineer testing in the homes, that they just didn't have time to make sure it ran on all browsers, so wrote the if then statements to provide access to Chrome only.  That one I can see coming, as it just needs to be done - it works on the other companies.

Now the manage my PVR - no comcast implementation on all companies has access to the tool on the browser - it is available by a single application, not in any anyplace implementation, browser or apps, and in the Xfinity forums,it is reported that customers had it then it was removed on the browser for all users, both the traditional cable boxs and the new IPTV Comcast model, same as happened to us as Rogers customers.

A quick search on Google and you will find that Comcast is in the middle of a licensing disagreement with TIVO who owns the patent for a lot of feature sets in the setbox world and Internet streaming and whole home TV market and at this point, Comcast was ordered to remove the feature until they reach an agreement of some sort.

So coming soon - whenever they get this licensing agreed upon it can be turned back on - it is already developed - they agreed to turn it off.

Tivo by the way sold all their settop box business to Rovi, and they are owned outright by Rovi with Tivo being the developer and holder of license patents.

Roku also just came to an agreement last year with Tivo.  They purchased the rights to use over 6000 patents ranging from search engines and intuitive search and recommendation tools to entertainment metamedia (that is the data and model that populates the IPG).

I knew Tivo had a huge role in IPG and metadata, and settop boxes, but didn't realize just how deep into the original patents they were.

financial experts say this will get settled with time, and Comcast is shooting to have a top price for the patents that AT&T paid Tivo for it.

So, coming at some point in the future, and it would be nice if Rogers described the issue with manage PVR as a licensing issue, in the same way as they describe the restriction on casting to TV, and various devices as a license issue.  Coming soon gets old very soon as we have said.

If one searches, as with the whole Navigatr story in the past and other changes that the industry forced on Rogers, we all can find the answers - I have the advantage of being at home, not much else to do.

Hope they get it all resolved soon, but I don't expect clarity until after the soft launch to the public, or well after that and we still have no idea as to how long they will maintain the old non IPTV models.  Time will tell.  This is all very high in the corporate level this one, as well as timelines they hope to hit on rollouts of Comcast.

Bruce

methadus
I've Been Visiting

Rogers anyplace tv is absolutely terrible. Am I missing something or did they seriously put the worst channels possible together online and call it a day? Really disappointed. Rogers really need to pick up their game.

Zaphod64
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyplace TV - no sound on Fox News Channel

Hi,

When I watch my subscribed channels on Rogers Anyplace TV on my laptop (Windows 10, Google Chrome browser), I am able to hear sound on all  my channels except for Fox News Channel where I have no sound.  Am I the only person with this problem?  Any recommendations on how this can be fixed?

Thanks

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

I wonder if part of the "strategy" at Comcast / Rogers is an assumption that the PVR is going the way of the VCR.  And they want to assist in that.

Everything would just be streamed.  Current or "saved" programs.

Im not sure in detail how that would work unless everything ever broadcast will be available from the cloud.

My guess is its a much more tangled road from here to there than people think.

Also, I suspect they are looking for ways to make it harder to skip around commercials on the "free" content.  Killing PVRs has to be a step in the right direction for that.   (Its notable how on some of the on demand channels the "forward" key is inactive.  My solution is just to have a magazine or ipad handy and turn the sound off).

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RichardF wrote:

I wonder if part of the "strategy" at Comcast / Rogers is an assumption that the PVR is going the way of the VCR.  And they want to assist in that.

Everything would just be streamed.  Current or "saved" programs.

Im not sure in detail how that would work unless everything ever broadcast will be available from the cloud.

My guess is its a much more tangled road from here to there than people think.

Also, I suspect they are looking for ways to make it harder to skip around commercials on the "free" content.  Killing PVRs has to be a step in the right direction for that.   (Its notable how on some of the on demand channels the "forward" key is inactive.  My solution is just to have a magazine or ipad handy and turn the sound off).

For sure. Before I had a PVR I used DVDR and a couple of VCRs. The DVDR has a neat commercial skip (yes, that's what it's called) function where each press of the button skips 30 seconds. I got pretty good at skipping exactly the right amount on programs I usually recorded.  I see where the skip function on the Nextbox 3 is just an arbitrary 3 minutes,  which is nor very useful.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Zaphod64 wrote:

When I watch my subscribed channels on Rogers Anyplace TV on my laptop (Windows 10, Google Chrome browser), I am able to hear sound on all  my channels except for Fox News Channel where I have no sound.  Am I the only person with this problem?

I reported in this, or another (Fox?) thread, that there are audio issues with streaming a number of channels, not just Fox News.  As for a fix, if you use the "Share a Concern" link, they usually get back to you in a day or two.  As to a fix, that's a separate question.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

RedBerry11
I Plan to Stick Around

Where is skip button do tell?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RedBerry11 wrote:

Where is skip button do tell?

Page+ to skip forward 3 minutes, Page- to skip back 3 minutes.  On the 9865 (and probably the 4k PVR) you can hold down the skip button to go 3, 6, 9, 12 minutes very quickly. The 8642 is typically too slow to use the "hold" option. Note that this is for recordings on the PVR.  Not sure if that works for streaming, which is the discussion of this thread.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Each day for the last few months after Rogers killed the RAPTV Manage PVR web app I've been starting Chrome to see if any progress has been made on the "new" one. Each time I click the RECORDINGS tab I get the familiar Coming Soon screen. Today when I try to sign in to Chrome RAPTV all I see is the jumping jelly beans. Could this be a sign of progress?

golfrox
I Plan to Stick Around
I think not......my chrome jas not worked sonce they chsnged it.....it will not shpw streaming video.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around
Maybe, but in what direction? 😀
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?