Rogers Anyplace TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Anyplace TV

I too mentioned a similar issue. where the GICA329X android box also gave the same error.

from what I can tell it does meet the specific requirements. has Chrome its an android box, pulls up the guide no problem but flashes quickly on the play and the boom : check support devices comes up ..

I then flip to my samsung phone. same internet connection and works like a charm ..

I was really hoping to have the ability to stream on my tv and have a remote control on where I was at

I ended up returning the Android box due to this limitation. sad it was not an option maybe one day Rogers will realize that creating roadblocks like this does make consumers look for alternative resolutions.

😞  ...

this anyPlace TV I suppose is to be restrictive to small handheld devices only in order to make you pay more if you want it simple and streamed to a tv. 😉   is what it is ./// thanks for responding to my original request.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Hi every body - I think that with the help of all, the answers to most questions are clear.

@57 has pointed to the link of the compatible lists, devices, and OS, and note that it doesn't mention an Android TV Box (note that all Android TV Boxes of any brand are running and Android TV version that requires that app providers program to be functional to screen size and some way to get it to the TV - and input devices like keyboard or mouse, or touch pad - Android TV is not touch screen, ususally remote based, output is defined by the box, not by the source, etc - bottom line if a developer has not programmed their app to run on android TV, it won't run and this is true with all Android Play versus Android Play TV apps)

So if it is not on that current list, then you try at your own risk, and at this point, it seems clear that no one is getting connection to run the program on Android TV style box (even if it does say that the box is running Android version ?), it is still sniffing for Chrome, Windows, OS, Apple store approved devices for the app you are running and approved devices by Rogers.

This is all we know.

I can add one more failure to run - BlueStacks, has been my emulator on Windows for a long time and ran the old version, and is Android Play, not TV, but it won't run it anymore - I can see the screens for choice and navaigate, but when I try to run the video or show, I get not compatible device returned. try reinstalling, try again, or device/app combination is not compatable.

So at the moment, I see compatable as described in specifications (see @57 post above), on basic level - Windows and OS for MAC on Safarai, devices like smartphones and tablets - iOS and android (and when new iOS came, it wasn't ready it seems, so app may not be ready at times when OS updated), but no android boxes or emulators.

Keep letting people know what your service is not working in, answer the quesions given fully, and it at least provides a list of services that people want to use on future device combinations, and then up to Rogers to decide if it is adirection they wish to take at this time.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Guess the version of Chrome that is on the android box does not count.

All said. hopefully rogers will take the lock off these android boxes and allow users who pay to have rogers have the ability to utilize the service they pay for and the service that rogers promote as a great valued option.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Haven't tested Chrome on an Android TV device, or emulator, at this point, my concern remains - no manage my PVR and other Web Browsers all coming soon.

If people keep asking, unless there is a business decision preventing them like licensing, or other rules/registration, or it just doesn't fit their current business model of support, testing, design, best to keep asking and maybe there may be a shift.

I was doing some searching, and Bell, Telus with their Optik access won't run on Chrome - why - because they are still using Silverlight, even though the web access was just redone recently - so IE and Firefox only is mentioned on PC.  Chrome can access silverlight, but requires you give it permissions, but they just block it unilaterally.

Bell appears to be restricted to Apple TV, Desktop/notebook, tablets - apple and android play store only.

Bell only supports Apple TV as a TV device, none others.

Vmedia has restriction to supporting only Roku as well.

So not unique to Rogers.  But keep asking.

My daughter and son in law in the U.S. deal with their company restrictions by building a full media/gaming box, really high end, sits right beside their tv entertainment centre, got a case that is gorgeous - they actually never turn on their set top box ever, it just sits there connected to the cable input jack, plugged into power, but not the TV. They had tried the Android box route, but put all their gaming and over the top tv viewing and their cable viewing all into one windows computer, and even included a digital tv tuner in case they decide to dump cable and go to an antenna.

For what ever reason, the industry does not want to promote the legal use of android boxes with android TV (not android play store).

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Just got an email message on important TV service upgrade giving links to the website address, and the two stores, android and apple.

unnamed.jpg

Nothing new on the sites or apps, but I guess they are letting all registered users know of the change.

Still only on Chrome, but this message doesn't advise of that, you will find out when you get there, and for those trying to use on an Android box, you will find that issue out also when you get there.

No references to approved devices - again, you will find that once you get in.

Then I guess more people will be coming here and to other support channels with questions.

For those who come here - see post by @57 for full details on compatibility.

Post 106 in this thread http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-Anyplace-TV/m-p/408946#M44301

Quote:

Do you meet all the requirements as laid out in post 95 of this thread - see link below?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-Anyplace-TV/m-p/408782#M44273

For example, do you have a digital TV subscription and do you have a digital STB, (not a DTA)?  What is the make/model of the Rogers box?  Also, are you attempting this on your home network?  Perhaps you could supply some additional information regarding what equipment you're using.  I know that some people had issues with iPads if they upgraded to iOS11 for example, but you mention Chrome on your Laptop?  Have you tried watching various programming on various channels as a test?

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Got the same email too yesterday and checked if it was finally working. NOT!

Worse still, today my saved bookmark for Manage PVR no longer works but just redirects me to the Rogers home page. Smiley Mad

Well played, Rogers!  Break a function completely with no replacement in sight.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@57 wrote:

@Woodman29:

From the following FAQ:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/anyplace-tv-overview

I tried the overview link above for ANYPLACE TV and it looks like it goes no where at my end of Ontario. 

This one seems to give you information:   http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/anyplacetv

There is also the ANYPLACE TV HOME EDITION overview which is here: 

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/anyplace-tv-home-edition-overview

I also have a Samsung phone and people do not seem happy with ANYPLACE TV HOME MOBILE for android device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alldigital.rogers.pdvr.android&hl=en

For newbies, this can get very confusing.  For none geeks, use wikipedia for the buzz words like STB and DTA.

set-top box (STB) or set-top unit (STU) (one type also colloquially known as a cable box) is an information appliance device that generally contains a TV-tuner input and displays output to a television set and an external source of signal, turning the source signal into content in a form that can then be displayed on the television screen or other display device.

A digital television adapter (DTA), commonly known as a converter box, is a television tuner that receives a digital television (DTV) transmission, and converts the digital signal into an analog signal that can be received and displayed on an analog television set.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Got the same email too yesterday and checked if it was finally working. NOT!

Worse still, today my saved bookmark for Manage PVR no longer works but just redirects me to the Rogers home page. Smiley Mad

Well played, Rogers!  Break a function completely with no replacement in sight.

After 5 tries to finally get into the forum to see and comment on what I found, (different story), I have lost my manage PVR link - it too just directs to.

So what could have been a pleasant surprise in an unexpected email (we already knew all this here on the forums, on Facebook, and other channels I suspect), and then find that there is nothing new here - just the old new with its benefits (yes I will acknowledge there are improvements in how much we can watch, the ability to freeze across devices), but one browser only still remains, no control over our PVR, stuck with using only a Smart Phone - can I say again - visual and physical disabilities and small screens, can't use it.

So I am not sure why they sent this email out, except to maybe catch up those who didn't know what they were to be confronted by - now that it is out there, maybe things will move forward.

Rant for the day -

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Been trying to sign-in to Anyplace TV for the past day and am getting 

30213 : No Entitlement/subscription found, Something is wrong on Rogers Entitlement Service

Absolutely nothing changed on my account in the past few days. Any help appreciated.

Am seeing this on iPad and in browser on my desktop.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Unable To Watch Programs On Android Device With Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition App

I have the latest Rogers Anyplace TV app installed on my Android deviod running version 5.1.1. I have a Nextbox 3.0 PVR, a Rogers Digital TV subscription and Rogers Ignite 100u internet.

From the app, I am able to login, and the grid is displayed and my PVR content is accurate.

However, when I click on a channel from the grid, and select tablet from the options of watching on the television or the tablet, I receive an error:

"DRM Error : There was an error when trying to access the Live TV streams. Please try logging out and back in again. (1202)"

I'd tried that several times with device reboots with no resolution.

Am I usingthe app incorrectly? Is there a solution?